Alleged iPhone 5 SIM card tray seemingly confirms use of nano SIM
1. Tux4g63 (Posts: 118; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
While the stated reason might be for the additional space savings, is it really that much more extra space compared to a micro sim? I just have a feeling they are doing it to explicitly make it more difficult for users to swap a single sim between devices.
2. JC557 (Posts: 1286; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
You'd be surprised how much space a full size SIM slot and SD card slot takes up in an electronic item. The slot may look small and slim but the main connectors/ housing inside the phone are quite large. The microSD and microSIM take up less space allowing for more efficient use of phone real estate
*I've cracked open my Droid Charge (full sim) and Cowon D2 mp3 player.
4. Tux4g63 (Posts: 118; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
I agree a full size SIM slot takes up a lot of space, but I am comparing Apples current Micro-SIM to the proposed Nano-SIM standard that they are going to use. The size difference between those two is literally millimeters.
9. JC557 (Posts: 1286; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Not defending Apple at all here but a mm or 2 makes a difference as the slot is larger inside than what we see on the outside. Of course I still prefer Nokia's implementation.
10. JessJess (unregistered)
"I just have a feeling they are doing it to explicitly make it more difficult for users to swap a single sim between devices."
To what end and for what purpose? Making the SIM smaller is good! Smaller the better really. Why should we care? If I want a new SIM I just call my provider and they send me one (and deactivate my old one). I don't think it's common for a person to hot swap sims between devices constantly....
30. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Agreed micro sim is almost becoming the norm now and apple don't want ifans under their control to have the ability to put their sims in any other phone than the iPhone. The hassle the initial use of micro sim by apple in the iPhone 4 caused was very high,especially when so many handsets had to be sent for DOA testing and repairs for dropping calls. The amount of sim changes down over these doas etc witnessed in store was unprecedented
Apple simply want a sim card for iPhone only and no other phone,its like it or lump it for ifans,if your iPhone doesn't work apple simply want you to get another iphone for u to make calls. God forbid apple customers might get the experience of using their sim in an s3 or similar,apple fear that. Blatant refusal to use the EU legal requirement of a micro USB charger is along similar lines to this from apple
3. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Seriously, and people wonder why I hate Apple. I mean it's okay to have your own eco-system somewhat, look at Samsung, Sony and HTC, sure they're all Android manufacturers, but each have a different ecosystem, Samsung has Samsung account which is used for DIVE, HTC has Sense & Sony (I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure they have their own). However, parts like microUSB cables, SIM cards, SD cards are all compatible with one another.
Why does Apple have to be so stupidly different and anti-competitive? Using a weird easily damaged large port for cables, making all accessories incompatible with anything else but their own, and when they adopted MicroSim, no one complained and slowly adapted to it, and just when everyone has made it a standard, they f**king use a nanoSim so that it's difficult to switch between devices...and to top that off, if they're going to change the port connector, why not MicroUSB instead of another Apple-exclusive port? Is it faster? Obviously not...Seriously, go to hell Apple.
5. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
The nanosim Apple designed has been accepted as the industry standard. Apple agreed to not charge royalties on it so everyone could use their design. There's also a good reason for it explained JC557.
So here Apple does everything you supposedly want them to do, but you still hate them.
6. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Seriously, What can 1cm do for the new iPhone? Add an extra GB of RAM? What's the point? What I'm mad about is not that Apple is charging royalties or some crap like that, what I'm pissed about is that they just change the standard as and when they like like they own the friggin smartphone market. A standard should be something everyone or at least majority has adapted to, MicroSIM is, NanoSIM is not and now we're back to 2010 when the iPhone 4 was the only phone with MicroSIM.
7. JessJess (unregistered)
Cannot tell if serious or just troll.
8. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
The whole smartphone market was switching to nano sims. This isn't Apple's idea. There was a big debate about who's design would be used and Apple ended up winning.
See how you're mad at Apple for no reason. You just automatically hate anything that has their name involved.
29. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Totally agree. What's wrong with Taco today....
He's got 9 thumbs up, wow....
24. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Hurray, now you know how you sound like in every other article here.
Yeah, you can pretty much say I hate anything Apple does because
1) It doesn't benefit me as a consumer in anyway since I will never use an Apple product (My overpriced Nano will be my first and last Apple product) and
2) Not only does it not benefit me, I'll be missing out because Apple keeps everything within their closed walls. "Oh, you wanna buy that cool speaker dock? Too bad, you'll have to buy an iPhone just so you can use it."
28. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Not wanting to use Apple products and hating is two different things. Hating a tech company shows you have some major issues.
It's ok your ignorance has been shown on this thread.
32. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Oh yes, the one time I didn't know something and you did totally outweighs all the times you were dumb and stupid, good job...Oh btw, just to complete your whole "I'm so smart & right" front, how about showing a source?
40. joey_sfb (Posts: 4973; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
taco, you are either clueless or a big time apple fanboy. I suspect both!
Apple is in cohort with the carriers, now they can charge you again for registration and the nano sim card when you upgrade to iPhone 5.
45. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 311; Member since: 03 May 2012)
You are a puppet in a master's show....in need of awaking....You represent what apple is doing to this entire world.........Unity is bad if you're on the wrong side my friend....... wake up man... wake up
22. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
its not just 1cm this cm translates into less space inside your phone. and with that other optimizations come around
20. Aeires (unregistered)
Agreed, why someone complains when internal components are made smaller is anyone's guess.
41. hawke9150 (Posts: 32; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Yeah right, Once Apple sees that they can charge another manufacture, they will sue them for copying and demand payments and or they will ban those devices from being sold.
12. Jasonhunterx (Posts: 111; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Frydaexii you give android fans a bad name your very miseducated
21. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Really? I hardly see you around here...I'll only take that statement from reputable members here.
13. -box- (Posts: 3990; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I agree with taco here. Everyone is going to NanoSIM (which is a bit quick, as only LTE phones and iPhones use the micro to my knowledge), and apple's design won out (I like Nokia's better).
That said, your statement about accessories is spot on. There was an almost universal agreement between OEMs to use MicroUSB as as the charging and data standard for phones for the time being, but apple stubbornly continues to use and implement its own proprietary designs. It's selfish and creates a negative experience for.the customer
15. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Can you explain why you like Nokia's design better?
33. -box- (Posts: 3990; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
As I recall, I preferred their notch layout which eased installation and removal, and that it could have been implemented without a tray, saving room and a minuscule amount of weight depending on implementation. I don't have access to the designs right now, but I'll find them after work and try to update my stated rationale
36. JC557 (Posts: 1286; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Agreed. I was hoping for Nokia to win the bid as the design made more sense.
14. skymitch89 (Posts: 1263; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
And this is new how? I believe that we saw this, or something similar, awhile back in a video that was comparing the iPhone 4S casing with that of the "iPhone 5"?
16. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Anything related to the iPhone is news
17. ishfaq.mehraj (Posts: 10; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
Another piece of s**t from Apple.... But they better know that by coming up with their own standards, they don't become unique....
26. quickweevil (Posts: 51; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
How exactly is this a piece of s**t? It's just a small SIM card...
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 18390; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Apple doesn't make pieces of S**t, they make some of the best products money can buy. Jus cuz u don't like it, or it doesn't suit u does t make it a POS.
25. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Yeah, If I paid $500 for a mid-range phone I'm pretty sure my mind would tell me it's the best phone money can buy too. Just because something has a high price tag, doesn't mean it's good, you probably just got conned professionally, like those Beats Headphones.
27. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1708; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Actually it does, it's like a car. If it doesn't do what I want and breaks down it's a POS
34. -box- (Posts: 3990; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Apple doesn't make anything except software. Hardware production is outsourced to the lowest bidder. The cheapness is evident in their products with an objective blind test. They may be nicer or better subjectively relative to some competitors, but it still is lacking
39. quickweevil (Posts: 51; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
If you could link to a study that proves Apple's product quality is inferior then I'll give in but to just say that Apple makes products of inferior quality just because you don't like them makes you look stupid. Any average consumer will tell you that Apple products (iMacs, MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, iPads, iPhones, etc.) have a very high quality feel.
43. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
They made a phone out of glass, sure that's not inferior, it's just downright stupid. Yes, they have a high quality feel, so? That little 2 feet drop begs to differ.
I love how porcelain feels, it's a great material for a cup, but you don't see me using porcelain to build a house or a car right? Different materials for different purposes, making a phone that is sandwiched by 2 pieces of glass is not a right way to use glass.
46. quickweevil (Posts: 51; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
Do you see people building houses or cars out of porcelain? That's a stupid argument. I've dropped my iPhone many times. No cracks. I dropped my Galaxy Nexus and shattered the screen which is why I'm back to my iPhone. So, what's your point?
35. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
now youtube gone from ios6
thats good for iOS user and bad for google
37. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1708; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
How exactly does no youtube, a free service mind you, mean good? Because you aren't supporting Google by viewing their ads? OooooOOOoooooo *Wriggles arms*
38. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
why? Google is not the one thats gonna take complaints from customers who had it on iOS plus they can just upload a new version to the app store...
42. AeroPrime (Posts: 175; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
I hate this nano Sim idea......is not practical...especially when you need to borrow your friends phone in an emergency. This is a turn off....
44. sportsinger75 (Posts: 71; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Damn! Looks like I won't be getting the iPhone 5 now...
47. Mohammedli (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
So hot topic in the forum as well ,thanks for sharing !