After just four years, Apple overtakes Nokia as world's largest smartphone manufacturer
On the back of a very strong performance by the Samsung Galaxy S II, Korean based Samsung sold 19.2 million units in Q2 to finish behind Apple's 20.3 million total. The Cupertino based company saw its share of the world smartphone market rise 5% from last year's second quarter figure. Nokia dropped from first to third over the last year as its share of the global smartphone market dropped sharply from 38.1% to 15.2%. It is going to take a earth-shattering new smartphone from the Finnish based firm to turn things around, and not even Nokia's CEO is counting on the MeeGo flavored N9 to do the job.
As we reported, the Samsung Galaxy S II has sold 5 million units in 85 days and has become the hottest smartphone on earth at the moment. This has allowed the company to sharply increase its share of the world's smartphone market to 17.5% from a paltry 5% the year before. The Galaxy S II has amassed these great numbers before it has sold one unit in the States where demand has been building up for the model, which will be available on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint next month. In September, Apple's next-generation iPhone is supposedly going to be launched. Both of these U.S. releases will certainly have some impact on the Q3 global smartphone statistics.
source: StrategyAnalytics via AppleInsider
1. beatlesfan posted on 29 Jul 2011, 10:08 11 2
Congrats to Apple, I suppose. While I don't find an iPhone appealing, they obviously have appealed to the masses and from a business standpoint that's all that matters. Though, I am not a big fan of Apple, I can give respect where respect is due, this is a pretty great accomplishment. Without Apple, I don't think smartphones would be where they are today for better or for worse.
70. pete7625 (banned) posted on 31 Jul 2011, 23:34 1 0
not really sure how my three little words got two thumbs down. Lol.
3. Laurynas (unregistered) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 10:17 5 7
Apple: 20.3 - 8.4 = 11.9
Samsung: 19.2 - 3.1 = 16.1
16.1 (Samsung) > 11.9 (Apple)
Seems that Samsung moves faster than Apple.
4. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 10:58 9 5
You put together random numbers to show what?
8. remixfa posted on 29 Jul 2011, 11:34 7 8
wow, so basically if the galaxyS2 was availible in america, samsung would be STOMPING apple in phone sales. This may be Apples last quarter at phone dominance. :)
10. Laurynas (unregistered) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 11:40 6 6
Seems that, YES!
15. ayephoner posted on 29 Jul 2011, 12:31 2 1
im sure apple wont see any sales boost from their new phone either.
actually, we are yet to see the full boom of vzw getting nessy. many were disappointed that they got the already dated iphone 4, so this will be a huge sales quarter for apple, maybe its biggest yet.
26. 530gemini posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:40 1 1
@eyephoner. Facts contradict what you're saying. The iphone4 received higher customer satisfaction ratings and lower return rates. So how can you say that many Verizon users of the ip4 are disappointed?
55. NeXoS posted on 30 Jul 2011, 09:41 2 1
Cuz they're all drunk on koolaid, that's why.
For God's sake, 2/3's of them think they are using a 4G phone.
How hard is it really to satisfy a customer who is THAT clueless?
21. E.N. posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:21 3 1
Let's just wait for the iPhone 5 to demolish those numbers. The fact that those are sales mainly from the iPhone 4 is pretty damn amazing. Don't get too excited over there buddy
56. NeXoS posted on 30 Jul 2011, 09:44 2 1
The only thing getting demolished when the iPhone 5 comes out are its speed test scores:
The iPhone 5 is going to use the same chip as the iPad2. The Galaxy S II *already* wipes the floor with the Ipad 2 when it comes to web page rendering speed tests.
That's a MOBILE PHONE kicking a TABLET's arse!
25. 530gemini posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:37 0 2
@remix. And if Apple released the iphone5 in June, it would've even sold more :)
44. remixfa posted on 29 Jul 2011, 15:31 1 0
I guess we will just have to see what happens when the SGS2 will be head to head with the iphone5.
My guss is the i5 will have the edge in sales since it will supposedly be on every carrier and at that point, not be as saturated as the sgs2 since the sgs2 has been out a few months now..
... everywhere EXCEPT AMERICA!!!! ugh!! lol
maybe we should have an SGS3 vs iphone5? :)
57. NeXoS posted on 30 Jul 2011, 09:49 1 0
Actually, AAPL analyst cheer leaders were all cheering to buy their over priced stock since the iPhone would be sold on 2 networks instead of one, so sales would double!
But VZ has been selling the iphone 4 for 3 quarters now, what are the REAL numbers?
AAPL reported selling 20m iphones.
VZ reported selling about 2m of those phones.
Hmmm, so that means VZ only added about 10% to their total sales.
So much for "double" the pent up demand!
Everyone on Tmobile who wants an iphone already has one.
I doubt Sprint users will care for the iphone because Sprint has a much better selection of 4G phones than VZ.
9. Laurynas (unregistered) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 11:39 0 2
Actually they are from the table (which is posten in current news) and it is Global Smartphone Vendor Shipments (millions).
41. Laurynas (unregistered) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:33 0 0
Actually they are from the table (which is posten in current news) and it is Global Smartphone Vendor Shipments (millions).
5. ryq (unregistered) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 11:07 4 4
i dont own an iphone but all the people i know who have one, and they are many of them, only one complain about it while the rest were all praising it. samsung may move faster but apple started it all. they make owning smartphone looks cool! anyway, samsung just copying apple.
6. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 11:16 7 5
oh wow... i better get an iphone with 2007 technology to be cool too!! Im just going to through away my 1.2ghz, 768 mb RAM android because this smartphone doesnt make me look cool!! /sarcasm
14. iwebdroidberry7 posted on 29 Jul 2011, 12:22 4 3
Your phone still performs like s**t tho. Even with your octacore processors.
16. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 12:31 3 3
atleast it performs better than any iphone even if jailbroken... i can even have more storage memory if i wnted too..
my phone may perform like s**t compared to other androids but against your crappy iphone or berry (dont give a s**t) it will dominate !
60. NeXoS posted on 30 Jul 2011, 12:02 0 0
If by "sh!t" you mean it can render webpages FASTER than an ipad 2 TABLET:
Then, I'd rather have my sh!t, non-trendy but gets the sh~t done phone over your trendy iphone anyday!
19. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:13 2 4
and the iPhone's technology still outperforms your Galaxy phone and leaves it in the dust
22. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:25 2 3
lol no it doesnt.. my isheep buddy owns an iphone 4 and it does not perform better than my galaxy, or my htc sensation...
even the camara on it sucks
24. zuno gyakusatsu posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:35 2 4
lol another dillusional android fanatic. you probably dont even own a smart phone. just another broke idiot with an envTouch trying to convince people its an android phone because it works about as equally terrible.
33. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:03 3 1
how do you know that?? soo because i dont have an iphone i dont have a smart phone?? your an idiot ...
34. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:14 0 3
actually you're the idiot
38. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:24 3 1
and your the retard
28. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:44 2 2
I've used both and Galaxy is like using a clearance product compared to the iPhone. iPhone is way ahead of Samsung in all metrics. It's well documented.
37. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:23 1 0
the only thing i agree the iphone is better than the galaxy is that little screen.. otherwise your iphone is crap
42. district11 posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:44 1 0
I love my gaalxy S :) !
62. NeXoS posted on 30 Jul 2011, 12:05 0 0
Why don't you check out this document:
The Galaxy S II even beats the ipad 2 in webpage rendering speed tests!
45. remixfa posted on 29 Jul 2011, 15:33 0 0
you realize that the galaxyS and the iphone4 run THE EXACT SAME TECH... lol
the galaxyS2 blows both away. The stock scores are 4x higher on the galaxyS2 vs the SGS1/i4
46. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 15:48 0 1
specs aren't everything, but fandroids don't understand that. In real life iPhone outperforms both.
48. shimmyx20 posted on 29 Jul 2011, 16:13 2 1
Ignore the trolls, they are not worth your time. I love my Android phone (currently on the Inspire w/ CM7), but iPhones have a very fluid, easy to use, and stable OS on them. That's why I always carry my iPod touch 4th gen with me
61. NeXoS posted on 30 Jul 2011, 12:04 0 0
In this video, the Galaxy S II beats BOTH the iphone and ipad 2 in webpage rendering speed test!
Yep, it can even beat the ipad 2 TABLET!
12. Heatfan316 (unregistered) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 11:46 1 1
This guy ryq just hit the nail on head except where samsung is copying apple this is the point I've been trying to prove it's all about trend. Just because the iPhone looks cool I've got to get one to be cool.SMH!
59. NeXoS posted on 30 Jul 2011, 12:00 2 0
Ironic, two night ago, went out to dinner with a bunch of friends and ONLY ONE had the iphone and everyone was dissing on him how he had to use a case and screen protector, the rubbery kind that feels like crap.
While all of our phones had GORILLA GLASS!
64. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 30 Jul 2011, 12:55 0 0
The reason why I don't buy an iphone is because of those types of comments ''(they make owning smartphone looks cool!)''. What the heck!!!. I don't care if pople think I'm cool or not. I don't what a phone that's easy to sue, I want a phone that works for me. By the way I'm planning on buying a WP7 phone.
7. gallitoking posted on 29 Jul 2011, 11:29 3 0
well let the trolling begin.... sup galaxy... happy friday sir...
11. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 11:43 2 5
payday friday and nice topics to troll on .... nice day so far
13. irectum (unregistered) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 12:17 3 6
i like to take iturds and wipe my iass with my iphone. that is why i call dem, s**tty iphones. hahaha. lets party like its 2007 and sue everybody that try's to come into 2011. apple looks totally ridiculous. how anybody can say they are cool to have one is beyond me! that is like driving and old gremlim and pulling up next to a 350 z, hey man, i am cooler than you b/c a company brainwashed me and told me i am!!
17. Hallucinator posted on 29 Jul 2011, 12:42 3 0
I cant wait for these kids to go back to school.
18. Joshing4fun posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:01 0 1
Why does it always have to be so heated. I like android and Samsung but I don't spend my whole time dissing apple. Both are excellent companies with excellent phones. No hate.
23. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:27 2 1
no you dont looser, your always talking s**t about android when you get a chance
29. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:45 2 3
I hope you're not posting from your android you're battery must be almost dead
39. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:27 3 1
actually im not but if i were i would still be well charged
.. android is improving not staying in 2007 tech you know
27. 530gemini posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:44 2 2
I guess fandroids won't have a nice weekend, hahahahahaha.
30. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:46 2 1
Yes they'll work on comebacks and be ready to troll again on Monday. It's marketing iPhone sucks. Waaaaaa
32. 530gemini posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:56 1 1
Yes Taco. They always do, which just amazes me. Every time there's a good article about Apple, backed up by factual numbers, fandroids never fail to present their own report, based on numbers taken from who knows where, lol. Worse, they actually expect everyone to disregard facts, and take their homemade figures to be the truth. Amazing :)
35. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:16 3 1
Or they use proof such as my dad knows Steve Jobs and he said he uses a blackberry.
Or I know iPhone sucks because my aunt and my mom don't like it.
52. 530gemini posted on 29 Jul 2011, 22:07 0 0
Yup, we're grazing peacefully until a fandroid decided to disrupt the peace once again. Oh well.
31. dave (unregistered) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 13:56 0 0
actually I think Iphone overcame symbian a long time ago since most of the phones that nokia counts as smartphones can hardly be call that. good job apple.
p.s. please stop suing every one.
65. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 30 Jul 2011, 13:54 0 0
@dave. What are you talking about????? when the first iphone came out all the Symbian phones had a lot more features and functionalities, (file manager, bluetooth transfer,MMs, copy and paste,etc.). The only thing that the iphone brought was a nice and fluid UI, but lacked too many functionalities.Do some research before posting something.
36. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:20 2 2
Oh by the way where are all the trolls that kept screaming Samsung beat Apple out? Looks like Apple wins again. Maybe next quarter? Oh wait that's when iPhone 5 comes out and demolishes SGS II and everything else in it's path.
43. GALAXY-S posted on 29 Jul 2011, 14:56 2 3
lol like if your going to make any of that money :) isheep
47. taco50 (banned) posted on 29 Jul 2011, 15:54 2 2
said the guy named after a 2nd tier phone
67. remixfa posted on 31 Jul 2011, 13:54 0 0
retorts the guy named after something off the budget menu at Taco Bell. :)