In the release AT&T says that it wants to "find a solution that is in the best interests of our respective customers, shareholders and employees, and will be "actively considering whether and how to revise our current transaction to achieve the necessary regulatory approvals so that we can deliver the capacity enhancements and improved customer service that can only be derived from combining our two companies’ wireless assets."
AT&T could decide to turn the purchase into a joint venture. The carrier can also simply choose to walk away from what has turned into a legal headache, but will have to give Deutsche Telekom $3 billion and $1 billion in spectrum. Or, it could decide to simply continue the fight that it has been waging in both court and the court of public opinion for months.
source: AT&T via Phonescoop