The super-sized chart: meet the largest smartphones on the planet
Does anyone remember the 4.65-inch Galaxy Nexus? The 4.7-inch HTC Titan? These were the 'crazy' phablets of days past. Today, these are both considered medium-sized flagships. In just a few short years, we went from being horrified at the thought of anything exceeding 4 inches, to a state where those appear tiny, even when compared to the mini versions of popular top-shelf models. So, are we in for another round? Are the below listed giants on path to become the new standard? Or are we reaching a fundamental limit? We sure would like to join voices with the seemingly outraged community, yet we're a tad jittery, and can't quite muster up the courage to make a definitive statement, all things considered. In any case, it does seem like the phablet category will endure, and, if anything, is growing more diverse. And ever larger, of course.
So how big is big enough? Six inches, minimum, at least if you were to ask the creators of the massive beasts you'll find right below. And after all, why the heck no? In the end, bar price considerations, these are small, voice calls-capable tablets in super-'compact' bodies. And, fellas, they are here to stay.
Meet the largest smartphones on the planet Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
LG G3 - 40 Tips & Tricks for LG's most powerful smartphone ever
25 Jul 2014, 01:36
5 Android L themes, launchers and icon packs to install while you wait
25 Jul 2014, 03:23
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
LG G3 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: vote for the better phone
25 Jul 2014, 06:01
The best Android browsers, 2014 edition: design, features, and performance
23 Jul 2014, 09:49
Here’s how to record screen video on Apple’s iPhone and iPad
25 Jul 2014, 09:11
Meet the largest smartphones on the planet
4. The 7-inch CoolPad Great God/Halo
5. The 6.95-inch Cube Talk 69
1. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Anything over 6" is mad, i love large screened phones but its pointless having a phone over 6"! Besides the Note 3 beats all hands down!
5. sri_tech (Posts: 187; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Don't speak on behalf of others, especially size.
Everyone said the same about original Note(5.3"). But people liked it and tech bloggers had to change their opinion later when Note 2 came.
18. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Well I do share your opinion, everything over 6" should be considered as a tab.
23. JGuinan007 (Posts: 620; Member since: 19 May 2011)
That's what they said 2 years ago about anything over 5 inches.
29. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1064; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
I was just surorised to see that the Note 3 is not up there...!
Hmmm all of a sudden my Note 3 feels so compact in my hands....shame on you all those BIG BIG devices...cant we all go in for something as compact as the Note 3? :)
40. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
You only say that because the Note3 has a smaller screen.. So, you attest a Note 4 with a 6" screen❔... If you ever get one then I'm going to call you out on this...
Sounds kinda hypocritical, and something a sore loser would say... Heck, the Note 3 isn't even in this league, so why bring that old tiny device up❔
2. Duketytz (Posts: 323; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
It is so big that even Note 3 is not on the list of the top 15 biggest phones. One day we will be putting 40 inch TV to the side of our heads
3. fouadqr (Posts: 280; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
Lumia 1520 is the best :D and the best looking for a huge device
27. Bernoulli (Posts: 1433; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Sure is man! With the best specs and fastest, smoothest operating system
35. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
The 1520 is the best IMO❕
Best screen quality.
Best screen technology.
Best audio capturing. 4 HHAC RRS mics
Best battery life. 3400mha
Best processor widely available.
The 1520 is the best overall device for me.
39. Bioload25 (Posts: 189; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I think the Z ultra has more style,although it has those huge bezels
41. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Oh, I love the Z Ultra to.. As a matter of fact, I love the way Sony does their hardware.. As far as style, and quality, Sony is only rivaled by Nokia, and Apple, IMO... HTC next, and the others are way at the bottom of the list... But yes, I agree.. The Z Ultra is awesome..
55. tunaofthedirt (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 May 2014)
Samsung does most of the hardware for iphones and ipads, and probably a lot of those other devices....
45. lilduderob (Posts: 13; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
It is amazing. I bought it thinking replace my 5s it is just to big for me as a phone. I can't stop using it. I use it as a tablet and love it. It has the best screen. It is very fast. Everything works perfect on it. Love it
47. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yep❕ 1520 is the best overall.. No doubt..
4. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Smartphones are getting bigger these days, imagine holding one of the 6 inchers above the beside your ears, you will look awkward because you're holding a brick. Just look at the Hisense X1 for example, the person holding it must be like WTF is this? Don't even think about the Coolpad Great God, it's just ridiculous. We aren't sumo wrestlers or
19. papss (unregistered)
Sorry man but I disagree.. My l1520 is trhe perfect size and I have no problem holding it up to my ear... Its others around me that have the problem with it. Loll
36. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I agree the 1520 is the best❕..
And, if the Note 4 has a 6" screen Note fans will stop being sore losers saying that 6" is to big.... Pathetic.
17. SleepingOz (unregistered)
in your "humble" opinion.. :]
34. MistB (Posts: 550; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I like nokia too but I concur, the 1520 ain't the best by a longshot.
37. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Most definitely agree that the 1520 is overall the best.. It has so many innovative features,, much more than any other device..
7. brrunopt (Posts: 396; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I was hoping for a picture with all of them together , and iphone for size scale ;)
38. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
The ONE Max is cool. I saw it the other day.. I love HTC, and Sony, devices..
10. Smokin (Posts: 117; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Typo. In One Max's slide it's Oppo N1. it should be one max
11. pwnarena (Posts: 824; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
poor z ultra. the only thing it can hold an unbeatable claim to has now been snatched by some unknown chinese brand.
26. pyradark (Posts: 740; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Lol... The slimmest phabet 6.5mm on a premium water/dust resistance and the best display out there and you can used any thing to write on it!! Hahahaha
42. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I don't know which screen is better. The 1520's or the Ultra's.. That would be a good in depth comparison.
46. pyradark (Posts: 740; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
well it depends on your taste!! I love Z Ultra triluminos display, it gives more color to the screen and the X-reality display is phenomenal, people skintone is natural while its surrounding is vibrant compare to AMOLED, people skintone become yellowish its like they take tanning machine eiwww
48. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I think the 1520's strong points are sunlight readability, viewing angles, brightness, and other technologies.. IOW it features
1. ClearBlack polarization: Advanced screen filter.
2. Assertive technology: actually adjust each pixel with a very intense algorithm
3. Sunlight readability option: further adjust brightness if selected.
4. Lumia color profile: Allows you to adjust temperature, and saturation.
5. Super Sensitive touch: Allows the screen to be used with gloves, finger nails..
6. Pure Motion HD plus: 9ms refresh time: fastest in the industry. Most are around 23ms..
And, that's just the screen... That's what you call attention to detail... Lol❕
14. N-fanboy (Posts: 528; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
What was Nokia smoking when it made the 1520 its flagship?! Its a great device but its too big for most people (including myslef). They should have brought out a 5'' phone and made this like an option.
24. DFranch (Posts: 135; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
a 5" version (Nokia Icon) is going to be released on Verizon soon, perhaps even this week. It's supposed to have virtually the same specs as the 1520 except for the battery being smaller (2510 MAh I think).
15. twens (Posts: 518; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Funny thing is the galaxy mega is the only phone with minimum bezels both top and bottom. Samsung really knows how to do big phones unlike these other wanna be manufacturers with insanely enormous bezels.
50. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Wannabe manufacturers❔.. And you think Samsung makes the best hardware.. You just killed your reputation dude.
16. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
7 inch CoolPad Great God/Halo..... Crazy!
20. papss (unregistered)
The l1520 is a great size but that's as big as I can have. I have fairly average hands as it is.
43. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I actually would like a successor that's got a bigger screen.. I could handle the overall dimensions a tad bit taller, but no wider.. Microkia is going to have to figure out how to fit more screen in the 1520's dimensions for the next device.. But, I do want a bigger screen, just not a larger device.
25. Desmund (Posts: 74; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
Got to agree I saw the Nokia Lumia 1620 I think it was at AT&T put my LG G2 up against it and was like that's just TOOOO Much.
I like 5 inch phones my cut off will probably be 5.5 or even 5.7 anything above that is just overkill.
30. HildyJ (Posts: 86; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Please, please, please, when you do posts like this, let us know which of these are actually available and in what markets.
31. techloverNYC (Posts: 367; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
According to Iphone users : If you want a bigger screen, simply place the iphone closer to your face/eye.......
49. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
And, that's what they call innovation..
32. hurrycanger (Posts: 776; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Why is the Asus Fonepad not here? It's 7".
Is that because the Fonepad is so slow it's not considered a smartphone?
33. zunaidahmed (Posts: 41; Member since: 24 Dec 2011)
7 inches is NOT a phone anymore, It's the same size as samsung tab 7 or something released a couple years back, which could also make calls. IF this is considered a phone, than that tablet should also be a phone.........
44. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Lol❕❕❕ Not if the tablet doesn't have a PHONE ON IT❕
51. LikeMyself (Posts: 203; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
Anything larger than 75 mm wide is a big no for me as I can't hold it comfortably with one hand :) Vertical height as long as I can sit with it in my pocket.
52. COZMAN (Posts: 99; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
How long will the trend continue? Until the usual happens....we put it in reverse and everyone will be told the smaller the better. I have the Note 3. Awesome phone but let's face it, it's made for a purse, not a guys back pocket or even inside pocket of his suit jacket. It is just to big and yes, even too heavy. Currently I have a MOTO X, SAMSUNG S4, SAMSUNG NOTE 3, SAMSUNG GEAR WATCH, IPHONE 4 and 5 and SONY ZL (my least favorite due to horrible phone quality). Recently I decided to use my IPHONE 5 for a few days which has turned into more than a few days. Why? Size! Carrying the Note 3 is like not checking your luggage at the airport. The IPHONE 5, MOTO X and SAMSUNG 4 or SONY are all easy to carry. So here is my take. If APPLE want's to get back in the game they will come up with a phone that will reverse consumer wants and demands meaning a phone that is is packed full of NEW and INNOVATIVE features and is also SMALL. Perhaps a phone that folds? Watch for it!
53. COZMAN (Posts: 99; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Forgot to mention that the only phone that does manage to have size and is still able to be carried in a pocket, is lightweight and has beyond amazing battery life is the best phone on the planet. It is still at the top of my list. The LG G2.
54. Jayshmay (Posts: 65; Member since: 27 Mar 2011)
Personally, I draw the line at a screen size in between the S4 & LG G2, 5.0-5.2, that's it. Nothing bigger than 5.25 that is rumored for the S5. I'm a moderate person, and I like a good balance in size/use/multimedia.