Samsung signs a multi-year contract with Wolfson as 'primary audio partner' for the Galaxy phones and tablets
1. eisenbricher (Posts: 962; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Awesome! I am an extreme audiophile and most of the recent smartphones don't satisfy my demands. Beats from HTC is nothing special. Wolfson is great.
3. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
You can get the beats audio just about any smartphone once you are rooted .
I have it on my phone it does makes the audio sounds better
8. tedkord (Posts: 3793; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You can get the equalizer from Beats on any phone, but Beats is hardware and software, so you don't get true Beats. But the other poster is right, Beats is all hype.
13. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
what i meant is the equalizer is nice !
26. eisenbricher (Posts: 962; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Hardware matters the most, dude. And regarding the equalizer I believe PowerAMP's EQ is best for me.
34. the_s2 (Posts: 199; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
wolfson hardware+poweramp eq = awesomeness.
47. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Anyone that really cared about audio quality would avoid anything made by beats/monster/any other super overpriced crap brands like Bose.
50. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
The beats equalizer is free so i aint complaining .
As for earphones i will take klipsch , Audio technica , Harman Kardon over beats , monster , bose anyday .
18. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5168; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Here is hoping that Wolfson chips make their way into the Note III. If so, the Note III will be one sweet phone.
24. Piotrek007 (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
Yes, wolfson is doing really great... but you should all know, that it is not having full power at Galaxies series... In SGS IV it is stopped by software not to give full power, which automatically means it is not as loud as everyone of us would dream to be :( This is only bad point I see in it, ufc it's Samys fault as they did that on purpose.
To be honest, the most surprising thing for me is new headphones that came with SGS IV !! Its
27. Piotrek007 (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
" Those are dubbed HS330 and feature dual-speakers (8mm tweeter and 10mm woofer) for improved performance with both high and low frequency sounds. They offer better bass than just about any other pair of headphones you can find in a smartphone's retail package"
Im happy that sammy is going futher not only in music quality but also with accesories upgrade !!
Any dual-speaker headphones costs 70$ up on ebay !!
I would love to see review of those headphones !!
2. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Dang , why Samsung use Yamaha on the GS2 ?
Now i am stuck with it
4. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
There's noo stopping to samsung's aggressiveness amd success
5. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 647; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I sent this in as a tip, glad to see it was published!
Great stuff by Samsung, the audio in my GS3 is incredible thanks to the Wolfson DAC it has, I'm glad they finally made it official :)
Cant wait to get my GS4 even more now that I know it will also have a Wolfson DAC for sure.
9. hipnotika (Posts: 175; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
galaxy s3 has too low sound :/ dont u listen beats htc's and apple iphone's sound ?
14. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Speaker on the Note 2 is a lot better than the one in the GS3 , seriously .
32. oister85 (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Hey I have the s3 u.s version. My question is does the u.s version have the Wolfson quality.
51. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
No it doesnt , the GS3 Snapgradon version doesnt
6. roldxx (Posts: 32; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
this is the reason why im stuck with samsung, only android manufacturer that uses wolfson dac
10. FlushGordon (unregistered)
I'm an audiophile and this is one of the primary reasons why I went with the Note 2....Wolfson is hands down the best.....when you're into Metal, Classical and Jazz you can hear the warm mids just fly and rip...something that BEATS or Cirrus is incapable of doing
15. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
what about Yamaha , how far off is it compared with wolfsen ?
Why Samsung use Yamaha only for the GS2 ?
19. ImQ009 (Posts: 24; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
Yamaha used in SGS2 is absolutely horrible, sorry :/
52. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Its okay . Thats the whole point of phonearena discussion , discussing , not flaming fanboy wars
16. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4700; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
HTC's Beats Audio v.s. Samsung's Wolfson
The game begins in 3....2....1......(HONK!)
20. ImQ009 (Posts: 24; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
What game? Beats Audio is just some fancy equalizer, you just can't compare it to Wolfson
21. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4700; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Dude, even though the Beats Audio is the best, you need to give Wolfson a try!
22. ImQ009 (Posts: 24; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
I'm not sure what your point is. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough but what I meant is that Wolfson gives you a real good and detailed sound, while Beats Audio is just a cheated illusion
23. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4700; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Wow! Your point is quite complicated! :(
But they still need to 'fight' with each other, all reviews I watch is that HTC always win in sound quality!
35. Luisit0 (Posts: 73; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
No, they win in headphone sound quality. Their Beats Audio tech has always been great to listen too on any headphones, especially high-end ones. They've only been winning in speaker sound quality lately since the HTC One.
36. McLTE (Posts: 612; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Beats Audio is like Apple is like Bose speakers.. the products of massive hype and marketing machines.
Good? yes. But anyone truly into audio knows that Beats headphones are overpriced and marginal for what they are getting for them.
Bose speakers - don't get me started.
Apple - yeah, we all know.
Wolfson has a rep for putting out very high quality hardware that has won the approval of almost all audiophiles. Grats to Sammy on this!
39. ImQ009 (Posts: 24; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
As I said, Beats Audio is just an equalizer.
It's like Bravia Engine of the sound, it DOES make the sound better but it won't replace solid hardware
53. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Beats Audio on Galaxy note 2 = WIN
As long as you're rooted its not too difficult to install beats
17. ImQ009 (Posts: 24; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
This makes me happy
(SGS1 with Wolfson WM8994 user)
28. jsdechavez (Posts: 652; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I feel sorry for Wolfson. Samsung will be over their properties in no time and next thing we hear is Samsung making their own audio chips.
33. joey_sfb (Posts: 1889; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Yeah if they intend to do that they would not sign a multi years contract safer just to renew it annually. Wolfson has been audiophile choice since day one. Samsung is just leveraging on them both for their audio technologies and branding.
I would say poor cirrus logic instead :-)
43. tedkord (Posts: 3793; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That story sounds so familiar. Where have I heard that before? *cough* gui *cough*
46. p5yb0rg (unregistered)
you never know, Samsung may even purchase them down the line.
29. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
pfft...I'd like to see Rockford Fosgate speakers in a Nexus tab! Powah, baby!
30. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
BOSE speakers have more clarity and are much better™
38. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
BOSE is nice for crystal-clear high's and mid's. I want punch :D
42. SleepingOz (Posts: 2390; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Nope, Bose products are overpriced POS(better than beats though).
54. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
You hate overpriced Apple , but you love overpriced BOSE ?
44. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
Don't know much about Wolfson, based on the comments sounds like samsung made a good decision though.
So the note 2 came with Wolfson headphones or something? Can anyone help? What about the gs4?
45. SleepingOz (Posts: 2390; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
GS, GSIII, GNOTE II and the GSIV feature Wolfson DAC chipsets, which are the best available for smartphones out there.