Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note 4 might swap the signature AMOLED display tech for PLS-LCD panels
1. kdealltheway (Posts: 94; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
"The move would free up to 20% of a phone's cost structure, with likely negligible difference for the end user in terms of screen quality."
And negligible difference in the final price for the end user, as usual...
26. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1235; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
yup totally agree...not to mention it would be a dumb move altogether....
Samsung flagships are known for may features...one of them being their punchy AMOLED displays...and the loyal Sammy customer base love these displays...
In my opinion if they do this they will lose out on a lot of customers...not to mention IPS LCD is better than PLS-LCD...heck I got a note 3 for the awesome features...screen being one of them!
And in a time where screen occupies mostly the entire phone front surface I thin it would be a bad move for Sammy to actually change one of its strong points...
If it aint broken...dont fix it!
33. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
What?! PLS is pretty much a superior version of IPS. Where did you get IPS LCD is better?
38. belovedson (Posts: 975; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
ips is better? you can tell by the naked eye right?
reality is: ips and pls is pretty much are equal
2. Birds (Posts: 1154; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Oh well. Both screen techs are nice anyways. I just resll want a device with a bit of extra heft to carry a 5000 MaH battery...and would it kill Samsung to strip their UX a bit? I mean there is no reason for the Galaxy Note 3 to be stuttering and hanging...
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Never has happened with mine. Battery runs through a full day with heavy use like a champ.
23. sniper1087 (Posts: 499; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
still doesnt fix their UX from stuttering and hanging, my note 3 does all the time sadly. 1 more reason touchwiz just sucks, and needs a refresh.
34. wilsong17 (unregistered)
how many launcher are on google play again
note 3 is the best device well maybe until note 4 lol
what do you mean ux hanging
37. ePoch270 (Posts: 166; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
Install Action Launcher Pro (or just the base version now!) and watch your phone take off. Super smooth and tons o battery life. S-Pen still works great. Just no more TouchWhiz ): /s
39. zekes (Posts: 229; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
The T-Mobile note 3 hangs all the time when multitasking
3. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 974; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Awesome, as long as the displays are as eye popping as the incredible SuperAMOLED ones they currently use.
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Still, super amoled for me. It's the best screen technology ever made, nothing can defeat it even up till now
5. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Whats next 3K? 4K? I think displays are at its limit.
24. sniper1087 (Posts: 499; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
2k displays supposedly coming next year.
6. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3702; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
This is actually a good move where we can get top-shelf hardware with Chinese phone prices and also brand that has good record of after sales and services.
7. JMartin22 (Posts: 1889; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
This is the dumbest rumor I've ever heard. Samsung is not going to drop their signature AMOLED technology in their signature flagship devices. PLS-LCD is used in their low-end, and most of their mid-ranged devices, as well as their high-end tablets.
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You might want to click on the PLS-LCD link in the article before writing such a silly comment.
9. jan25 (Posts: 469; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
same report from last year. LCD for me any day.
10. taikucing (unregistered)
Who cares about 2K display? 1080p is enough. Increasing the PPI just waste the processing power. Just give customers the S5 with metal body.
18. troutsy (Posts: 310; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Oh you, I bet you enjoyed that, even though you know what taikucing meant....
27. Bishop_99 (Posts: 75; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
It's not about "enjoying that" but just correcting a common misconception most people will have. This resolution shouldn't be referred to as 2k, since we already have "2k" displays on our current phones.
35. wilsong17 (unregistered)
/what is wrong with getting more stuff on our phone
11. Genersis (Posts: 217; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Would be a good move in my opinion.
But then I never liked the way AMOLED displays tended to be oversaturated, which a lot of people like.
12. cR203 (Posts: 199; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
I don't believe this report. People said something similar when the galaxy s4 was about to launch. I don't think samsung will ever stop using super amoled in the galaxy s series. It's their signature and it's also something that makes the galaxy s series unique. I personally like super amoled. They developed the technology and it really came a long way from the first galaxy s all the way to the note 3. I think super amoled is the best. No other display technology can rival it.
19. Teja171 (unregistered)
Again this crap gets very hot , because of the high-res(2k) display and 8-core 64 bit soc.
The metal body makes it even more hotter.A plastic body is again recommended :)
22. Loubielou (Posts: 496; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Samsung seem to be doing o.k in Europe,but is facing alot of competition in China or Japan,Samsung should not be worried if the Budget phones in there own place,as they never make it Worldwide recognition,the Screens on there new phones have really got offer the Best out there,or the S5 an S4 will not be so popular,so Super Amoled are the Best choice for Samsung
25. CreeDiddy (Posts: 603; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
If Samsung would make only 2-3 products they wouldn't have to worry about their manufacturing cost.
28. kobbycarson (Posts: 6; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
Sammy is the best android phone maker!!!
29. xtroid2k (Posts: 514; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
If the visible difference is negligable the I would just have to see for my self at a store. I doubt there would be a severe difference if any. Especially the 2k display and stuff
31. TimTebow (Posts: 70; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Note 3 display is not that great. Get some glasses people.
36. wilsong17 (unregistered)
im sorry but 10 million note 3 sold and i never see any one complaining
there also in setting you can auto tune the color for what you like
32. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
amoled is the best display ever made for smartphones its ultra vivid and not like the display from the iphones which depends on backlighting which is harmful to our eyes