Nokia makes fun of the left handed death-grip in new marketing campaign
Nokia has launched a new marketing campaign just in time for next week's launch of the Nokia Lumia 900 in the States. The web site, smartphonebetatest.com, includes a countdown timer that is set to hit zero on April 6th which is when the site goes live. The flagship Windows Phone model will be getting released on April 8th.
On the site is a trio of videos that poke fun at the Apple iPhone. For example, one clip takes us back to a office in Silicon Valley in March 2010 before the launch of the Apple iPhone 4 and shows executives from a certain smartphone manufacturer arguing over the famous lefthanded death-grip that plagued users of the Apple iPhone 4. Another video spoofs questions about the durability of the original Apple iPhone while a third video takes a shot at the viewing angles on the original Apple iPhone.
There isn't anything on the site that you would call an ad for the Nokia Lumia 900 although there are some comments favorable to the device that are supposed to look like they are coming from smartphone fans. One in particular reads, "I used to be an iPhone fanboy but the Nokia Lumia 900 and Windows Phone changed all that." Outside of those comments, there is nothing that points to Nokia. The comments section is just too pro-Nokia to be a coincidence.
It's an interesting campaign and should get more interesting as time goes on. This is expected to be a huge marketing program to really get the word out about Nokia and the Windows Phone platform in the States. Ironically, a huge promotion might not have been necessary since the Nokia Lumia 900 has been pre-selling like hot cakes even with minimal advertising by Nokia and AT&T.
source: Smartphonebetatest via WMPoweruser
1. ddxmms (Posts: 141; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
Nokia i love you BUT the only reason your using WP and mocking the iphone because the apple iphone has kicked your ass.
12. Jillsandwich (Posts: 28; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Or you know... because WP7 is actually a good platform?
Btw, did you just respect your own post? LMAO.
14. cj100570 (Posts: 198; Member since: 12 May 2009)
WP7 is about as good as DOA platform can be. WebOS was good too. Where is it now? Oh yeah, that's right....resting in peace.
25. JSern (Posts: 282; Member since: 22 May 2011)
The word "respect" is overused, just like your little Apple's "revolutionary"
36. Whodaboss (Posts: 166; Member since: 18 Nov 2011)
So, are you saying when Apple had all those commercials about I'm a Mac ads vs I'm a PC is because the PC has kicked and is kicking Apples' behind? Oh, that's sounds about right. Thanks for the info.
2. alpinejason (Posts: 249; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
thats kind of stupid and funny at the same time but it is very true that is one area nokia has always been better at then the competition is the reception signal when compared to other phones
6. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i sure as hell hope they did everything they could for that signal, because every iphone defender is going to go all kung fu shaking death grip on the 900 to try to prove it has it too. lol, remember all those videos? "look, if i squeeze it so hard the blood cant get to my hand, it kinda has the death grip too.. see its not just an iphone thing!" ha!
8. jroc74 (Posts: 3621; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
What was really funny is the death grip Applew showed for the Droid X1...
Apple is lucky that no one really talks about it being a death touch with a 1/2 an inch of finger for iPhone 4. Every other phone had an actuial death grip....the iPhone 4 had a death touch.
3. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
is this a nokia fools joke, or is this real? if its real, thats pretty hard hitting humor. i approve! lolz
15. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
wow.. i wonder how fast apple sues them for this. I'd be very surprised if they didnt do anything about it.
26. Henrik (Posts: 139; Member since: 18 Feb 2012)
They can't sue for anything, since no logo or brand name is mentioned. Nokia even carefully designed the phone in the beginning to not look 100% like an iPhone (see the oval shaped home button for example). It might as well be a Samsung ... but of course, Apple would sue based on that too, as we all know ............
33. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol, its still a rectangle with a centered screen.. apple invented that!!
13. Oxygen (Posts: 77; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
behind htc, samsung, apple and many other manufacturers in the smartphone market.
31. chrischau1308 (Posts: 53; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Well, is every phone a smartphone ? Nope !
37. SleepingOz (Posts: 2369; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Apart from Nokia fanboys, no one cares about feature phones nowadays.
7. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
I like it. Sick Golfer one was very clever.
16. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea i like all the mortgage bonds jokes n stuff. was pretty good
10. Gusto (Posts: 28; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Really nokia, bashing iPhone??
be more 'creative"....
11. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 818; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Well at least we have one phone company other than Apple that makes interesting ads.
Samsungs: suck, and bash apple too
Motorola: never make sence, just wierd "DROID" sounds
HTC: they don't advertise (what a fail)
All the phone companies are doing really good, but ATT and VZW just bash each other
17. ron1niro (Posts: 54; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
i phonearena trying to start a fight between nokia and i phone fans. Why can't we just have a peaceful lumia 900 launch! There is nothing to show that this was done by nokia
19. roscuthiii (Posts: 1658; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I get the sentiment... but did you miss the 'arena' part of the name?
Time to go all Spartacus on that ass. Let the games begin!!!
18. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Anyone noticing how all these companies are going after Apple. Attack the king of the hill is the strategy. You mention Apple and you get your name in the news.
23. biophone (Posts: 1879; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Its a stupid commercial making fun of an old's phone minor flaws really. I have an i4 and if i take my case pff and press firmly on a specific spot for about ten minutes a lose 1 to 2 bars and barely ever have a called droped and when i do its because i was in a poor reception area. Attack the 4S for its lack of 4g like sammy did. But i agree apple is still looked at as the one to beat even with less market share then android.
34. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you forget that they had an "update" to "fix" the signal issue, by reorganizing the percentages for each bar to make it look like you had better signal. The problem is still there, they just hid it better.
35. biophone (Posts: 1879; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Calls aren't being droped so i don't care. They have a point fhey display five bars instead of 3 so it makes sense alot of bar are lost.
38. SleepingOz (Posts: 2369; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
in denial isheeeps spotted! I love it! ahahaha!
24. zaryab_hussain77 (Posts: 102; Member since: 30 Jun 2011)
apple is only todays company.........nokia rocking the whole world.......stupid iphones are only the waste of money
30. SleepingOz (Posts: 2369; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Get your facts right, nokia fanboy! Nokia is still rocking the feature phones market, but is far behind apple in the smartphone market.
Don't be in denial like some of these iSheeps!
21. Gusto (Posts: 28; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Go to source link. There you can still watch it.
22. Alan01 (Posts: 141; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
While the videos have been taken down from YouTube, they are still up on the sourcelink.
29. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Eh Nokia is getting naughty like Samsung