Nokia XL announced: forked Android on a 5-inch Nokia
1. Johnnokia (Posts: 990; Member since: 27 May 2012)
Extremely nice and affordable, but too heavy..
However, phone of the year and very welcome Nokia
27. Doakie (Posts: 1791; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Phone of the year? Let's not forget that the Zenfone line was announced with super low prices as well. This phones direct competition is the Zenfone 5 which bests the Nokia X+ in every category. Both 5" screens: Zenfone is 720p 294ppi, Nokia is WVGA 187ppi. Zenfone has a 8MP camera, Nokia 5MP. Zenfone 1 GB RAM, Nokia 768 MB RAM. Zenfone has Google Play Services with Microsoft offerings downloadable from the Play Store, Nokia stuck with an alternate market. Both are priced at $150 USD... Asus wins the budget race. Also with phone of the year for 2014 it's very early to make that call.... Don't count out HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, and the next Nexus. Reluctantly I also have to point out that there might be a bigger iPhone released this year which might tickle someone's fancy. Not mine, but there are plenty of iPhone fans about.
35. akki20892 (Posts: 3874; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Three Words: Will Sold More.............
100 million and up.
2. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Can anyone tell me what's the point of these Nokias? I think entry level W8 Lumias are just fine, they perform okay and have okay app support. But Scroogled Android that will have major app compatibility issues on both sides and sporting an OS that needs more minimal resources than W8 (plus the terrible screen of these phones) just doesn't make sense.
Fanboys leave me alone, I'm not bashing Nokia, I'm just curious how this makes sense.
5. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
You'll understand soon, my friend.. It's a good thing long term..
11. ScottSchneider (Posts: 330; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
Long term? I Hope these last in the market for more than 6 months...
19. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Who knows.... If MS can make WP last for years, then...... Like I said who knows.... Times change...
7. tech2 (Posts: 3165; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
ikr. If anything Android should be high-end devices and not low-end where it normally ends up lagging because of poor hardware.
Dont even get me started on that god awful UI. Don't see how its any better than already affordable Moto G.
17. mousesports (Posts: 272; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
i think you have a crap brain .. read all articles and news ... then your brain will understand
29. Doakie (Posts: 1791; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Sorry fanboy. The Moto G is by far a better phone than this monstrosity. The Zenfone 5 and 6 are better phones than this....
26. fly2click (Posts: 14; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
what if they prove that this hardware is more than enough? do you think We, End users,have a clear idea on the hardware needed to run latest versions of Android? After JB i think Android became a matured Operating system. Runs very smoothly. I just dont understand why even after fine tuning android to the best of its state why we are still worrying about high end hardware? where is the glitch then?
24. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
Wait for cm to change everything about this phone because when cm hits this, then Nokia+android=110 euros is going to be a sweet deal
4. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I can dig it!!!.......
Asha, X, and Lumia... The killer combo..
Thanks, and great job MS, and Nokia!
6. lukkiristi (Posts: 68; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Is it possible to root these devices and install KitKat? I mean, Google said it's made to work with as little as 512MB ram. Cause if that can be done, then you'd have Google Play Store, right? I'm not an expert, but maybe someone here knows?
13. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
just wait and see what the Android Developers will do to these devices ...of course we will have playstore after Rooting ... He he he !!!
28. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 1157; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
The single hardware button will be an issue though
8. uchihakurtz (Posts: 352; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Let's hope that with the success of the Nokia X line, Nokia will make a high-end version of it. Best of luck to Nokia! :D
9. Pinder4u (Posts: 8; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Big screen for entry level... people who want big screen at affordable price.. reminds me of Galaxy grand
10. lucid.brat (unregistered)
Mr Elop I loved ur green shoes in the event.....i really happy with the price
12. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
just upgrade that display to a Clear Black with 330+ ppi & 2GB RAM and i will say Shut up and take my Money NOKIA !!! ......
14. gabriel2 (Posts: 22; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
am sure the forks at xda would do sumfin about this fone maybe give a custom rom or sum modification to make it run google services
16. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Meh but still, this will definitely kill the low end lumias on emerging markets. Waiting for their high end one.
32. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I bet they will!
20. najib1312 (Posts: 120; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Who cares if it has play store pre-installed or not. Wouldn't we be able to install play store apk by ourselves?? Its Android after all......
31. SleepingOz (unregistered)
You've got a One X, right? You should know that it's no big deal to install play store on an android device. Wait.. That's what I thought..
38. najib1312 (Posts: 120; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Seriously? You're comparing a $150 phone to $750 phone?? That's clever. That's like saying "Instead of undergoing all the complexities with the Corolla, just by the Ferrari>"
25. tarek1980 (Posts: 223; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
oh Elop, finally you let Nokia suck Android's d***, but still android should use condoms with Nokia X ,it is just an oral job, please Elop give people a chance we want Nokia to sleep with Android to give us a real Android son & without condoms.
Full Android devices like Samsung....HTC ......
33. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
This phone should be taken seriously but on the music part, seeing selena gomez there makes it a joke since she's a joke!
34. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Wow I want this phone so badly because of offline Nokia maps
36. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Nice for the price.
Time to import and root...
37. Loubielou (Posts: 483; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
What is Nokias Aim with Type Of Smartphone,They Seem to have let Alot of People down now with these X Phones,are they Trying to Say to Microsoft that Windows is not Good Enough for the Nokia name?but people who have been used to using Android phones will really miss the Mass of Applications from google play Store,an if the Nokia can"t match this with there own Store,It seems that Nokia do not want Launchers available for the X phones,but the Tiles on Windows are not a Good selling point,will we be able to install applications from memory cards on these X phones?