Nexus 5 compared to Nokia Lumia 1020 in low-light photography
29. apple4never (Posts: 1018; Member since: 08 May 2013)
its still a great camera none the less, you cant compare it to the lumia
36. dickwyn (Posts: 602; Member since: 07 May 2012)
yeah have to agree, quite adequate low light shots
50. lalalaman (Posts: 469; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Nexus 5 is gud for the 8mp and price...1020 is a complete diff story....but still u can compare the low light feature, which n5 has lost also
43. Commentator (Posts: 2640; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Kind of an absurd comparison, of course the Lumia's going to win.
Why not compare the Nexus to something its own size, like the S4, iPhone, or Xperia Z1?
44. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Only in 5MP but in 38 MP it sucks. Also I think the colours are better on nexus 5 but I could be mistaken, I need to see a photo from a professional camera to really judge the photos.
45. akki20892 (Posts: 3744; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
oh com'on we even can't compare 808 and 1020 with all smartphone's camera, because they are the legend.
2. mr.techdude (Posts: 566; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Yeah it does, 1020 is the camera beast but that'swhere its adadvantages end as a comparison to nexus 5 and other big android devices. Totally craps on iPhone's all around that's for sure.
12. rd_nest (Posts: 1050; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Camera (phone) beast. A huge difference!
iPhone is still a very good phone, no doubt about it. Apple always had very good hardware. Their software now is not so-good though.
Same can be said about Lumia/WP. From my limited experience with Lumia 720/620, I wasn't too impressed by the software and apps. But hardware is pretty decent.
4. android_hitman (unregistered)
not a fair comparison, nexus 5 is no match for 1020 and in fact no other phone is a match to the lumia 1020
37. dickwyn (Posts: 602; Member since: 07 May 2012)
for the price, the no other phone is a match to the Nexus 5
5. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1433; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
doesnt make sense 8mp to huge 41mp cam.i still choose nexus over 1020,with its kitkat 4.4 UPDATED:photo enhancer can edit if needed hangouts and more..
6. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
This is clearly not a fair test. Of course the Nokia is going to look better. 41MP vs 8MP
17. vincelongman (Posts: 2220; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I think its the difference in sensor size is more important.
The Lumia 1020's 1/1.5'' sensor is over 4x the size Nexus 5's 1/3.2" sensor.
19. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
They have to on the 1020, because a 41MP will take forever to render and upload onto a PC. The camera resolution options on the 1020 are as follows anyway:
5MP + 36MP
7. haneef4u (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
not bad.. not really bad for nexus 5....this comparison can be treated as a bench-marking with the top tier lumia 1020...for real test i want to see iPhone 5s vs Nexus 5
8. boosook (Posts: 1188; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
No guys, no. You're comparing 100% crops of an 8mp camera vs. 5mp. You should either start from 41mp on the 1020 and resize to 8mp or resize the 8mp output of the N5 to 5mp.
It's clear that, looking at your crops, the 1020 images will be sharper. But resize the N5 output to 5mp and check again...
10. VJo003 (Posts: 346; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
Camera is 1020's strong point for sure.
But then again its $650 Unlocked as compare to $449 for Nexus 5
15. sks1969 (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
What about availability? If Google just manufactures 10,000 units and shut up, no point. In my country I ordered the Nexus 4 online and I had to cancel because the waiting period increased from 2weeks after 2 weeks it became 3 weeks and after another 3 weeks it became 3 months, and Now I can buy the Nexus 4 when Nexus 5 is out. Wake up, Google is not a hardware manufacturing company it simply does not know how to, it relies on LG, why should LG do something which hurts it's own product line. Now You Choose !!
27. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
The price for the N5 is $349 for 16gig and $399 for 32gig. You can buy a 32gig N5 and a 16gig N7 and still come out $20 cheaper than the 1020.
11. jjjsong (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
This test shows that high MP shots have more details than lower MP shots, especially zooming in after cropping!
13. darkskoliro (Posts: 1038; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Id say it was more of a benchmark than a versus. Its good to know what the best of the mobile industry can offer for optics, and then compare it to how much the N5 can stack up against it.
16. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
they should have compared it with the Lumia 920 for fair comparison.
ive notice the nexus has purplish tint but overall good.
20. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
how bout doing a Nexus 5 vs LG G2 camera comparison
25. Trex95 (Posts: 597; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Wait for blind test.
IP5S, SGS4, LG G2, HTC One, Nexus 5, Note3, Xperia Z1 and Lumia 1020.
35. shahrooz (Posts: 309; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
lumia 1020 should not be in the test because it's clearly the winner no one doubts that and this ruins the purpose of blind testing!
21. Trex95 (Posts: 597; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
22. Trex95 (Posts: 597; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Nexus 5 camera vs SGS4
23. prms111 (Posts: 10; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
Dude its just like comparing the fingers of BigShow and dwarf......................the quality maybe of anyone but bigshow's finers will be always the larger ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
How any of those are even low light? It look like mid light to me. The building is what you can call low light but the building itself has low.
26. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
i still choose the nexus 5 anyway, cheaper, better OS (IMO) and all together better phone (other than the camera)
28. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
that is the only feature that lumia can beat N5...
30. orca99 (Posts: 87; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Yup, everyone know 1020 is a great camera phone. Nexus 5 is a great smartphone with a great ecosystem. Get a Nokia 1020 if you only make calls and take pictures.
31. Taters (Posts: 3742; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I already ordered the Nexus 5 and wouldn't even consider the Lumia so I guess I don't care much about cameras.
I am worried about some people saying the Nexus 5 had a loose power button, that drove me nuts on the HTC 8x and seems more like a typical HTC thing rather than an LG or Google thing. Let's hope the one I get is dead pixel and rattling button free unlike my HTC devices that had both in droves.
32. justwil_k (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
When I seen/read the article title I was like *gulp* oh sh!t. I'm mean why... why even bother with the comparison? We already know the 1020 will win by TKO, this almost made me reconsider my N5 purchase. But, fck it-- still getting it.
33. sergiobr (Posts: 483; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Ok nobody beats Nokia in camera sector. But what about the rest ? Do you prefer WP ??? No way ! Still with my Note3 and my Nokia 808 using NFC to transfer files (low light only). Great job Nexus 5 !
38. PorkyBurger (Posts: 392; Member since: 18 May 2013)
PEOPLE, how you can't get it. This is not like dogfight competition over the Nexus 5 and Lumia 1020. It was just a comparsion, so you can see how good/bad quality pictures takes Nexus 5. >.>
39. bakarock (Posts: 53; Member since: 29 Aug 2013)
Not a fair comparation in term of specs and price..
40. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Any camera improvement is good, the nexus 4s pictures are horrible.
Do a nexus 4vs nexus 5 camera comparison to show how much of an improvement this is. Its a night and day difference.
41. E.S.1 (Posts: 295; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
The purpose of the Nexus phone is not to replace an SLR camera.
It's a phone with a camera... just a benefit.
If someone is making a decision based on a camera.... maybe they should go to a real camera store.
Nokia is a camera with a phone. Still not nearly as good as a real camera.
42. greyhulk (Posts: 135; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
It always bothered me that the 1020 puts a yellow cast on its pictures, especially low-light.
47. b1acktiger (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Nokia's Pureview is still the best in camera department.
48. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 698; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
No comparison with 1020... But still looking at Nexus 5 samples, it seems Google/LG has improved it a lot from last iteration... Keep it up...
49. Immolate (Posts: 293; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
I have a 1020. Love the phone. Love the camera. When I can scrape up the money, I'm going buy an N5 and sell the 1020. After years with Android, I just can't take the lack of apps that do exactly what I want them to do. Shame. It's not a bad OS, in spite of the live tiles motif. I just can't adjust to not having the depth of the Play Store.
51. wky1998 (Posts: 13; Member since: 22 Jul 2013)
Are you kidding me ? You use a camera phone to compare with Nexus 5, but I see Nexus 5 only wins at low light photo at the second last pic