Microsoft to start support for Windows Phone 8.1 on June 24th; ending date also revealed
Windows Phone 8.1 for the general public (not the developer preview that has been available) could hit the market as soon as next week with the launch of the Nokia Lumia 630. A release in China could come at any time. The Windows Phone 8.1 update could start rolling out late next month, obviously, considering the date when Microsoft will start supporting it.
Meanwhile, for you poor souls still stuck with a Windows Phone 7.8 model, Microsoft's support of the build expires on September 9th. It might be time for you to start scouting out your next handset.
Microsoft will support Windows Phone 8.1 from June 24th, 2014 through July 11th, 2017; support for Windows Phone 7.8 is about to end in just four months
source: Microsoft via WMPoweruser
2. Caveman723 (Posts: 13; Member since: 01 May 2014)
Excuse me, but I do care. It's a 3 years update. Good job Microsoft!
19. nedywest71 (Posts: 8; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
3 years updates is quite good deal, but read the post "... it will be up to the manufacturers and carriers to deliver them". Here is where my doubts start. None of those responsible for delivering the updates will have interest to do it, in the same very way with Android today. They make profits of selling you a new device and saving further money from not having developers to implement these updates. Which will be not a problem at all if the carriers offer a Year contract at reasonable prices for the plan and set and not two or more Years contract.
The bottom line is Very good promise,lets hope we see it working.
23. Penny (Posts: 1102; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Yes, carriers, and sometimes manufacturers, suck at delivering updates in a timely fashion if at all. Microsoft, thankfully, built a free, easy way for users to circumvent those laggards in the way of the Developer Preview program.
The Developer Preview program is open and free to all users, and you get the update OTA directly from Microsoft immediately. For example, I've been running WP 8.1 on my phone for a while now, and I was able to get it the day it was released by Microsoft. Meanwhile, there still is no word from my carrier on when it plans to release the official WP 8.1 update for my phone.
112. akki20892 (Posts: 3255; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Wp is great platform, but reality is they r slow in updates.
Long time between wp8 (October 2012) and 8.1 (April 2014). ms is giant software company they know Operating System. Then why not they took less than 1 yr.
139. sgodsell (Posts: 896; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
At Redmond or Microsoft in general there is only a handful of people who actually work on any of their OS's, and fewer still who actually have access to the core code like the kernel. So changes will always be slow an methodical.
When compared to open OS's, Windows will always be slower to update. This still doesn't change the speed of an OEM or carrier to put the updates on the device's.
142. Penny (Posts: 1102; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Well it didn't go directly from 8.0 to 8.1 after a year and a half of no updates. In that year and a half, there were two updates in GDR2 and GDR3. These were not minor, but not major either.
But overall, I do agree with you, and so does Microsoft. Microsoft has recently made it clear that they intend to update their operating systems more frequently instead of building up larger updates released after long gaps.
4. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1706; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Everyone in this world has the right to be stupid. But you sir are abusing that privilege.
24. sip1995 (Posts: 659; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
=i-D6I0H7N2Q= I don't care, i love it.
85. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Fan boys can't be taken seriously
You have no merit
Truth to fan boys is BS
101. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Both of you stop being childish.
107. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
He is being childish always going off topic the subject and insulting and attacking how childish is that
138. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3226; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
SMH...... If you could only see me SMH.
100. papss (unregistered)
Arte why is it that you are now in every WP article talking sh!t and starting crap? Stop trolling... Its pathetic dude...way to represent android with your childish acts.
140. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3226; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Looks like WP is still the most popular platform on PA... Just look at the amount of comments on every article...
143. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I know WP generates lots loads a post even Android articles don't generate that many posts
40. SIGPRO (Posts: 393; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
You do care because you did respond...........NOOB!
45. aminkhs (Posts: 11; Member since: 11 May 2014)
I care! because I have htc 8s and lumia 820!
And u dont care because u dont use these devices and u dont know whats wp!
u dont care because u think wp is look like android! but I say its look like wp! so u should test it just for 1 month to see whats wp!
50. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Same to neither do I cause I use my L1020 to take great photos but never use the WP platform to do anything
So he is right
73. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I'm a Nokia lover my username says Arte8800 which stands for
NOKIA 8800 SAPPHIRE ARTE PHONE
DO YOU NOT REMEMBER 8 SERIES NOKIA 8600 LUNA
80. Liveitup (Posts: 891; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Like i said you do not own a WP. Being a Nokia lover does not mean you have a WP.
82. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1706; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Just by having a Nokia phone username, one doesn't become a Nokia fan. You are in reality a Nokia hater and a POS troll.
89. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
NOKIAFTW fan boy
I'm no fan boy like you
I give credit where it's due unlike you the truth is the lye to you and lye is the truth
98. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1706; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
You are BS. Not a fanboy, just a big fat POS.
122. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Wow look at you you have to swear
You are so angry
Keep the tone down no need for the criticism and anger rage and violence
This is what happens when you dicuss dispute with fan boys they become repulsive
146. Johnnokia (Posts: 464; Member since: 27 May 2012)
NokiaFTW & Arte-8800, Both of you are so lovely.
159. corporateJP (Posts: 1520; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
So says the MS guy masquerading under a Nokia username...
102. papss (unregistered)
If you didn't care you wouldn't be here.. Stop trolling like a pathetic loser..
5. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
36 months of no update release. o.O
46. aminkhs (Posts: 11; Member since: 11 May 2014)
sorry guys! but it look like a new OS came from Iran! its name is ApAdAnA OS I see that leaked photos in this site:
78. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2261; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah sure. Probably a software to operate their nuclear missiles.
134. aminkhs (Posts: 11; Member since: 11 May 2014)
I think this is a peaceful project! Because Im Iranian and I know what happen in my country! Our gov.s want peaceful relations with other specially America , Eu
157. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2261; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Oh. Sorry. I actually thought your a spammer robot lol. I guess it's not then :)
51. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
That's what you get being with wp very late updates
58. Liveitup (Posts: 891; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Timely updates is one of the reasons that WP is better than Android for the average user.
65. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
There is no options for Wp7 users to upgrade to Wp8 unlike on Android there is custom ROM and Dev support
70. Liveitup (Posts: 891; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
That has to do with the Kernel, WP7 -7.8 runs on CE.
WP8 - onwards runs on NT Kernel.
74. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Whatever be the reason. With the awesome cm team, i can get the next 4 versions of android on both my moto g and nexus 7 just like my galaxy s2.
79. Liveitup (Posts: 891; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Yep the sad thing is that is not the case across the platform as opposed to WP and iOS devices.
84. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1706; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Yes one can, but only by rooting, not officially. WP can get updates for a long time (36 months), whereas Android users can get OFFICIAL support from Google for a paltry 18 months. Also, 95% of Android users don't want to or don't know how to root their phones. So your argument is irrelevant.
92. Arte-8800 (Posts: 3086; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I never take you seriously cause you are a fan boy
Wp8 is great platform just like others but I find it to restriced
97. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
You know lately with cyanogenmod installer you dont even need root, just plug in to computer and few clicks and instructions.... Tada, ultra smooth and ultra functional CM is ready. And those who dont know rooting, simply dont care about updates.....
149. sip1995 (Posts: 659; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
It still exists ? I thought Google removed it from the play store.
153. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 2672; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
The apk is available at cyanogenmod site.