Loch Ness monster spotted on Apple Maps? (It actually is a boat)
The Loch Ness Monster at left, is really a boat
While Apple Maps may never reach the same status that Google Maps, or HERE Maps has, it might become known for finding something that no other mapping application has. Believe it or not, there are many out there who claim that Apple's mapping app shows the Loch Ness Monster. No, this is not a belated April Fools joke. Satellite pictures taken for Apple, apparently show some type of creature in the waters of the famous Scottish lake.
The image does not appear on Google Maps. And while some say that the "monster" is nothing more than the wake from a boat, there are no images revealing any part of a boat nearby. And since other boats do appear in satellite pictures taken in the general area, the photo of the Loch Ness Monster was not created by an imaging error.
In February, Gary Campbell, president of the Official Loch Ness Monster Fan Club, said that no sightings had been reported for 18 months. That is something that had not happened since 1925. The Apple Maps image was discovered by Loch Ness Monster fan Andy Dixon who said that finding the picture was strictly a fluke. "It was purely by accident that I came across the image," Dixon said. "I was trawling through satellite transmissions of different parts of the country and I thought I would try Loch Ness."
We wouldn't be surprised to find out that members of the Bigfoot fan club are scouring satellite images right this second, to find one with that elusive monster in it.
Did Apple Maps capture the Loch Ness Monster?
source: DailyMail via AppleInsider
1. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3775; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Only a magical device could capture the image of a magical creature.
10. TheMan (Posts: 424; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
More important, has anyone estimate the blip's size based on the map's scaling?
13. apple4never (Posts: 974; Member since: 08 May 2013)
if you look at the house in the bottom right, this "thing" is about 100 ft long so dont go saying its a greenland shark anyone
15. Ashoaib (Posts: 2436; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
May be a publicity stunt?? bcoz apple maps is not famous
35. Doakie (Posts: 1330; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Apple is probably going to patent the Loch Ness Monster now....
36. DCSeerIvan (Posts: 35; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Apple maps are really confusing and patethic.
43. lyndon420 (Posts: 1788; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
That's right, and since this is just a boat, no magic device here ( you wanted this to be true didn't you lol ).
44. express77 (unregistered)
Now that's innovation.
3. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3344; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I would love to visit Scotland. Drink some whiskey, eat toffees and play golf lol
I think that looks just like a normal boat. The contrast in the picture is just so low. But you can clearly see the boat in the zoomed in picture.
31. tedkord (Posts: 5307; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
My parents visit Scotland every couple of years. They love it. My family on my grandfather's side immigrated to the US from Scotland when my grandfather was a baby. My parents said it's a beautiful country, and the people are amazingly friendly. They visited the house where my grandfather was born, and were invited in to tour it and have dinner with the current owners. They keep in touch still. And it's a very poor town, yet no crime and no one trying to scam them. (The same couldn't be said of Paris the one (and last) time they visited.)
14. tech2 (Posts: 2479; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
A blue whale would never swim that close to a coast.
17. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3344; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I know that akki was being sarcastic, I'm not sure about you. Now I'm not being sarcastic: A blue whale would never swim in a lake lol
26. Taters (Posts: 3606; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
He is a Nokia fan. If you are clueless enough to think that they make the best handsets, then you are clueless enough to think that blue whales swim in lakes.
39. akki20892 (Posts: 3659; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I said by seeing shape, I know it is lake.
45. express77 (unregistered)
It's an innovation.
6. Beijendorf (Posts: 327; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
No, it's a very dumb map algorithm that removed a boat thinking it was a cloud. Mapping services use these to clear up the images from interference such as clouds, airplanes, etc.
Do your damn research, Alan.
Also here are some ghost cars... SCARY!
11. msa1988 (Posts: 417; Member since: 30 Mar 2010)
Good post Beij. Allan posts the most worthless articles.
21. PBXtech (Posts: 984; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Nice find. It does look like the bow of a boat on the front end.
27. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 351; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
Love it when people get all high n mighty thinking they are right, accusing others to do their "damn research", when in fact they are no more correct than the person they are pointing the finger at. Lol
32. tedkord (Posts: 5307; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Just curious, not picking a fight, but how was he no more correct than the author? He posted proof.
40. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 351; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
oh, it is me who is the high and mighty jerk. well thats a lesson for me. Apologies
7. shead202 (Posts: 46; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
Can't wait to find out that PhoneArena found the Illluminati on Google Maps.
28. luis.d (Posts: 210; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
Now, it's not like we would be telling anyone about that, would we...
8. UltimateReviews (Posts: 19; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
They gave that damn loch ness monster Tree fiddy!
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 12720; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Post of the day honors are yours LMAOOOOO. South Park
12. mturby (unregistered)
bad apple maps marketing.
22. Totse2k15 (Posts: 276; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
Here is your real Loch Ness monster:http://oi57.tinypic.com/20qyvy
23. MrTzr (Posts: 129; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
Definately a boat. You can easily see it from the waves that it creates.
24. csoulr666 (Posts: 94; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
Remind me why are we trusting anything Apple maps shows......
30. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Nothing more just a poor marketing trick...
34. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
kind of like what Apple does with their products...
38. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1280; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Like snapping a selfie with the President when he is honoring your team and then using that opportunity for a cheap marketing stunt?
37. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Its a diiferent story when you're using Nokia or Google Maps.
42. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
breaking news...loch ness sighting on apple maps was actually a boat.....nooooooooooooo