LG G4 tipped to boast a 3K display with a crazy-high resolution
1. TBomb (Posts: 733; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
im dying to see this thing.... and the S6.... but mostly this.
69. Fallen1 (Posts: 285; Member since: 14 Nov 2014)
Dont agree, 1080p on anything smaller than 7 inch device is unnoticeable. There's hardly that much content in 2k resolution as it is. It will be impossible to enjoy it
74. KyleRiemen (Posts: 120; Member since: 29 Oct 2014)
Said who? Apple? Yeah but only until they presented "Retina HD"! Research has shown that ppl can differentiate even at 700ppi+, some can do up to 1000ppi+.
If the battery can handle it, its OK to go on par with 4k TV's. And don't forget the VR-Stuff.
76. Fallen1 (Posts: 285; Member since: 14 Nov 2014)
For TVs its obviously noticeable, but a naked eye will not see any difference if it was 1080p or 8k on 5.5 inch device. Plus, really curious what "research" was conducted?
99. devonblue4u (Posts: 68; Member since: 12 Apr 2011)
I have an GS4 for work at 1080p and a LG G3 (QHD) for weekends. There is a difference you can tell side by side, and in daily use. My wife has a Note 4 (QHD), so we can compare apple to apples (or AMOLED to AMOLED), and the same is true on screen resolution being a noticeable thing.
I chalk it up to not everybody having the same vision. Or perception. I've never been able to make out the boat in those picture illusion posters either. I just see the dots....
112. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
You're biased because you bought a phone with QHD screen resolution and you want to justify your purchase.
And your purposely don't mention that Samsung's AMOLED phones have PenTile subpixels, which makes sthe screen more pixelated.
But you can't disprove the fact that there is NO noticeable difference between 1080p and QHD in phones.
122. DaveElliott (Posts: 115; Member since: 20 Sep 2012)
Pretty easy to see the difference between a note 2, note 3, and note 4. You can rationalize any way you want about what you have read or your favorite guru master has told you, but anyone with decent eyes can tell the difference in resolution and not just other advances in the screen quality. The real world sometimes is importan and no one is trying to justify their purchase.
125. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
Again, you're biased because you bought a phone with PenTile subpixels (which makes sthe screen more pixelated), and only this is your basis of comparison, so you can't think objectively.
Yes, the real world is the only important thing. That's why the QHD is pointless. It's good marketing hype, but useless in real life. Moreover, it just ruins the phone's perfromance and user experience.
84. medtxa (Posts: 1133; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
wrong, why some people always try to justifies a waste, mostly because they ignorant.
113. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
Most people don't see the difference above 300-400 ppi. Then why sacrifice the battery life and GPU performance for the unnoticeable and pointless high screen resolution?
124. Chakra (Posts: 130; Member since: 02 Dec 2009)
Damn!! Where is this research. I want to read more about these superhumans who can do this?
105. TBomb (Posts: 733; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
If no one tries to start the trend then it would never move forward. Of course there is no need for 4k now because there is not a lot of 4k material but no one will start making 4k material until theres a reason...
111. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
Even then, there is no need for 4k. There will never be need for 4k in phones.
QHD is pointless and overkill. Even 1080p is overkill.
720p is good for any phone.
123. TBomb (Posts: 733; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
I dont know... I just feel like there's nothing wrong with moving to 4k. Do we need every feature that smartphones come with? No. but theyre nice to have.
2. kkmkk (Posts: 481; Member since: 06 May 2013)
WHAT THE f**kING f**k THAT LG IS THINKING ABOUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
61. Niva. (Posts: 423; Member since: 05 Jan 2015)
Yeah, anything over 1080 is overkill unless this thing is 6" phablet.. which it might be. I still think QHD is the most we should ever need on a phone.
70. TheRequiem (Posts: 240; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
I disagree, the whole industry is proceeding and eventually will be 4k, just like it's 1080p now. 4k screens is where smartphones need to go and be. The reason being is that everything will be native 4k content eventually, streaming video, video camera's, movies, youtube, everything... I want to be able to replicate native 4k video on my smartphone, I don't care if I can tell the difference between 800 ppi or 300 ppi. Qualcomm also advises of this and I completely agree with their assessment. I just wish if LG is going to go to 3k they might as well just got all the way to 4k. Lame.
73. bur60 (Posts: 847; Member since: 07 Jul 2014)
Nah. I never use 1080p on my phones because the datalimit is very low. Its too expensive to get a bigger data plan. Its as if we are staying in place with experience, but the phones are evolving without impact. 4K might be the 1080p from now, but you wont notice a difference expect for using alll your data faster.
85. medtxa (Posts: 1133; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
did you know that performance and battery would be halfed compared to HD.
109. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1067; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
Yeah, especially since 3K is really only 2.25K, or 2.53125K, depending how you look at it.
3. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Wow, that should be sweet eye candy.
Not sure if a great idea or not though.
12. maherk (Posts: 3724; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I am sure it is not. 1080 is more than enough for our smartphones, 4 months so far, and i am yet to notice the difference between the 2k on my Note 4 and the 1080 screen on my wife's m8.
It is gimmicky and solely there for bragging rights.
56. DBounce (Posts: 149; Member since: 26 Apr 2014)
Get gear vr, then you will notice a need for a 4k display.
115. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
Who cares Gear VR? The battery life and GPU performance is much more important.
64. wargreymon (Posts: 712; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
I can pretty easy spot difference between QHD and FHD, G3 vs G2. Not sure this resolution would be worth it for anything but Asian countries that need it for outzoomed characters.
86. medtxa (Posts: 1133; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
are you sure it's the resolution and not the colour, brightnest, sharpening, etc?
4. Diego! (Posts: 573; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
Mmmm I have doubts... Let's remember LG G3 display was considered in every single review, 'too dim'
47. KParks23 (Posts: 618; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
Ive got the g3 the brightness low and high is ok but the color and sharpness are wayyyyyyy off.. They need to improve on there 2k display
5. tango_charlie (Posts: 250; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
superb build quality, bigger battery and bigger camera sensor that would be droll-worthy, not an insane high pixel density. period.
6. tokuzumi (Posts: 961; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
Ok. It's good to see that manufacturing can come through with these ppi yields, but will we even be able to tell any difference in the G4 and G3 screens?
97. RajRicardo (Posts: 394; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
LG just went full retard. Never go full retard.
78. wilsong17 (unregistered)
You mean overheat clearly all the process and battery life is going to need to power that.
9. Captain_Doug (Posts: 997; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
And battery life remains average. 5.5" 1080p display is still 400 ppi which is great. Battery life and performance would get a huge bump coming down from 3K. Oh well. Should still perform great.
10. xtroid2k (Posts: 517; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
Yeah not impressed. A 3k display on a 5.5 inch screen. Not necessary, meh.
117. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
They stopped the G Pro series.
14. Micah007 (Posts: 254; Member since: 09 Oct 2014)
Keep in mind people. The human eye can see up to 700ppi, this will be great.
17. buccob (Posts: 2564; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I want to see a test where subjects observe displays at a set distance and have to discern between 300ppi, 400 ppi and 500 ppi displays... and we will see how many get that right...
I hate this trend!... just give us more battery life and better performance..
What are the benefits of screen over 500 ppi?
22. Micah007 (Posts: 254; Member since: 09 Oct 2014)
No reason to "hate" the trend. If this display Is on a larger screen than the G3 it will be gorgeous. Plus with better processors, optimized systems and hardware we can have displays like this with great battery life. You can already see the difference between 1080 and 2K, If LG wants to reach for the stars I say let them, tech needs to keep moving forward!!!
33. buccob (Posts: 2564; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I am talking about screen density... if the display was larger, the PPI will be lower... and I wouldn't mind, but at Phone Sizes, even Phablets, 2K is already overkill...
Sony might be doing many things wrong, and it might be sinking, but I am glad they put a 720p on my Z3 Compact... Battery life is superb and performance is awesome... a 1080p on this 4.6" screen would have sucked.
40. Micah007 (Posts: 254; Member since: 09 Oct 2014)
I wouldn't call 2K overkill but that's another story.
I agree with one thing. 720 on a 4.6, 4.7 inch device is acceptable. I had a 4.7 inch Droid with a 720 display and I liked it. So I do understand where your coming from, but these sorts of displays 2K, 4K and beyond we can have them and great performance + battery life all at the same time. Imagine the use cases (VR, Gaming, Movies ect.) so many possibilities. The tech is here and if LG can put it to good use then they should.
87. medtxa (Posts: 1133; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
not exactly now, there is no VR available for lg yet why make the 3k happen now? do you realized how big dip in performance and battery life if they use 3k? yeah, tech need moving forward but on what matters most and relevant! not this gimmick
104. DillWeed (Posts: 149; Member since: 14 Mar 2014)
maybe that's their planned announcement to go with the G3. makes sense.
118. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
It has the greatest impact on gaming. The high resolution wastes the gaming performance. The games will have even more lag.
720p is enough for any phone. Even 1080p is not important (but at least not as bad as anything above it). We are talking about phones, not monitors! Most of the monitors have 1080p. So why sould a phone have the same resolution? You see them from similar distance.
15. buccob (Posts: 2564; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
BATTERY LIFE > DISPLAY DENSITY... PLEASE!!!
I am glad I got my 720p / 319ppi Z3 Compact... it really gives me 2 days, after having a phone that needed 2 or 3 charges a day for my type of usage...
96. Phooey506 (Posts: 85; Member since: 24 Sep 2014)
LG has removable/expandable battery. Your argument works for other glued together phones than your z3c, but not for phones with user removable batteries.
107. r41nier (Posts: 70; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
LOL. who wants to open the back cover of their phone every few hours? In a few months the back cover will be broken due to wear and tear.
116. Phooey506 (Posts: 85; Member since: 24 Sep 2014)
Modular phones are the future. User replaceable parts are a must for me.
BTW I can replace my back cover as well
120. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
You're totally right. Google's Project Ara will be the best choice.
If I built my own phone, would get a 720p IPS screen, the best SoC, the best camera, and the biggest battery.
119. sraive (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
It's good that LG has removable battery.
But this is not a solution for that the high resolution wastes the battery.
I would hate to see that something that I don't need (high screen resolution) wastes the resources.
16. Predator1701 (Posts: 108; Member since: 28 Oct 2014)
they should rather perfect their current technology, because let's face it LG didn't make the best display in 2014 anyway.Lg G3 display was rushed to the market.
37. MrET1 (Posts: 110; Member since: 29 Jan 2015)
True, the G3's display is a mess. It looks worse than the S5 and M8's 1080p displays. This 1620p thing if true is gonna be a waste of GPU power
42. MrET1 (Posts: 110; Member since: 29 Jan 2015)
1620p is even 1million pixels more to fill 60 times a second when compared to 2k's 3,6 million. This will be a battery ruiner
18. Gp_Customs (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 14 Jan 2015)
Instead of focusing on making lag free android and using more Ram to utilise more information efficiently. They focus on screen , joke.
81. wargreymon (Posts: 712; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
Said the guy who hasn't touched a G3. We know you are a Samsung fanboy, why do you try so hard? What are they paying you? All this can't be for free, right? If so I feel bad for you.