LG G Flex 2 tipped for early 2015 release; phone to offer "unique" feature
So what might we see with the LG G Flex 2 next year? Late last year, we passed along a report that LG was going to make the LG G Flex 2 bendable at a 90 degree angle, somewhat akin to a clamshell handset. We probably will also see a bump up in resolution to 1080 x 1920, or a small drop in screen size from the 6 inches on the original model.
The current combination of a 6 inch, 720 x 1280 resolution display, results in a 245ppi pixel density. This falls well short of the readings seen on the current crop of top-shelf phones. If LG goes to a 1080p resolution on a 6 inch screen, the combination would be similar to what is found on the Nokia Lumia 1520, which is a respectable 368ppi pixel density.
But what will stick in everyone's mind, is the unique feature touted by evleaks. Want to venture a guess of what it could be?
1. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3649; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"Want to venture a guess of what it could be?"
A giant LG logo that roars like Godzilla when you bend the phone?
11. Tizen007 (Posts: 522; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I know I think it was released yesterday or something.
18. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3649; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"None of us have ever faced a situation quite like this one before..."
21. Tizen007 (Posts: 522; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I KNOW ! "and ITS GONNA SEND US BACK TO THE STONE AGE"
23. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3649; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
No spoilers, but the movie is a typical Hollywood remix. It's got a lot of action, good special effects, and is generally fun, but I think the new movie makes Godzilla much more monodimensional than the old Japanese Godzilla movies. But it's Godzilla... recommended.
Maybe I set myself up for disappointment as I recently watched Gojira and it was really enjoyable. Old, not great quality 4x3 screen image, but the story was much better developed.
27. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3649; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I went for the 2D edition. I'm not the biggest fan of 3D movies, although for Avatar it was pretty well done.
26. Adrian38 (Posts: 135; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
Don't waste your money! Not worth it Haha
2. Tizen007 (Posts: 522; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
mid Q1 is MWC 2015
If it's capable of folding in half that would be a whole different sales story from the first gen G Flex.
5. fzacek (Posts: 2113; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I don't really think it would be able to fold in half cleanly though...
4. fzacek (Posts: 2113; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
It's an awesome concept, but I just wish they didn't have to make it so big...
6. Pings (Posts: 301; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I thought the LG Flex would be a good phone for my mom who is 65. For one major reason the 6 inch 720p resolution. She can read and see it no problem. Now she has it and loves it for that reason. A lower resolution + a huge screen = a win for old people.
13. fzacek (Posts: 2113; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
A higher resolution would not have made it harder to read the screen. Resolution does not affect the size of things on a smartphone. What you are thinking of only happens on computers when you change the resolution...
29. Pings (Posts: 301; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
It sure does I have a thl T200 a 6" at 1080p. It the same thing as on a computer just the manufacture changes the resolution not you.
7. snowgator (Posts: 3277; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
My wife loves her stinking Flex. Just can't put it down. A Flex 2 early next year may work for my pocketbook, still stinging from buying that beast outright.
8. Tizen007 (Posts: 522; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Looks like the Korean tech companies are on fire.
Samsung is supposed to release the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy S6 with a flexible display right?
12. wilsong17 (Posts: 1076; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
lol note 4 is coming with bendable display so haha
20. Tizen007 (Posts: 522; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Samsung will show a practical bending device first at IFA 2014 with its Galaxy Note 4.
22. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3649; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Someone could make the argument "I will put my Note 4 in my back pocket and want it to bend when I sit on it"... but this is just a laugh. Even if the phone bent, you will get a dent in your Note 4 over time.
Hopefully Samsung doesn't go "full ugly" with the Note 4, puts an 805 or better chip in it, 3GB+ RAM, QHD screen, great audio, and calls it a day. Bonus points if they drop the heartbeat gimmick from the S5 and include dual tone flash -- or add OIS to the camera.
24. Tizen007 (Posts: 522; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I don't think the Note 4 would be bendable though. I think it will have a 3 sided curved display like the ones shown on their patents.
Yeah I really would like to have the OIS on their device this time. But the S5's camera is absolutely amazing though.
14. BattleBrat (Posts: 1154; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I hope they give the flex 2 some horsepower, the flex 1 was lacking
31. 3rdDegree (Posts: 171; Member since: 13 Jul 2013)
But it had the most superior CPU at the time?
15. networkdood (Posts: 6310; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I was thinking of buying the first one, but the screen resolution was a big turn off. They must have found a way to bring 1080p to these types of flex screens....will keep an eye open for this one...
19. fzacek (Posts: 2113; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I thought the exact same thing. Why would they put a pathetic 720p display in an expensive, high-end 6" phone...
28. networkdood (Posts: 6310; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I believe because they had not developed the tech past 720p - P-OLED has only been made to 720p - that has to change....probably will with the FLEX 2....
16. fzacek (Posts: 2113; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Such an expensive phone with a 720p display was a fail on LG's part...
33. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
As well S cheap plastic degrading low quality materials
Why not use pure thick sapphire glass which looks more premium quality the cheap junk plastic
34. wilsong17 (Posts: 1076; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Because only fan boy care about if you think cheap plastic is bad then why galaxy s3, s4, so note 3 sell much most of you bimbo end up putting a case my note 2 is in a case since it came out if I take the case out is shining brand new. .. I have yet put a cover on my note 3 is still look the same
35. WickedDante90 (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
I'm Gonna say that the "unique feature" will be 3D. The 3DS kind. So if it is 3D, get ready for a headache