LG G Flex 2 tipped for early 2015 release; phone to offer "unique" feature
So what might we see with the LG G Flex 2 next year? Late last year, we passed along a report that LG was going to make the LG G Flex 2 bendable at a 90 degree angle, somewhat akin to a clamshell handset. We probably will also see a bump up in resolution to 1080 x 1920, or a small drop in screen size from the 6 inches on the original model.
The current combination of a 6 inch, 720 x 1280 resolution display, results in a 245ppi pixel density. This falls well short of the readings seen on the current crop of top-shelf phones. If LG goes to a 1080p resolution on a 6 inch screen, the combination would be similar to what is found on the Nokia Lumia 1520, which is a respectable 368ppi pixel density.
But what will stick in everyone's mind, is the unique feature touted by evleaks. Want to venture a guess of what it could be?
1. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"Want to venture a guess of what it could be?"
A giant LG logo that roars like Godzilla when you bend the phone?
11. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I know I think it was released yesterday or something.
18. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"None of us have ever faced a situation quite like this one before..."
21. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I KNOW ! "and ITS GONNA SEND US BACK TO THE STONE AGE"
23. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
No spoilers, but the movie is a typical Hollywood remix. It's got a lot of action, good special effects, and is generally fun, but I think the new movie makes Godzilla much more monodimensional than the old Japanese Godzilla movies. But it's Godzilla... recommended.
Maybe I set myself up for disappointment as I recently watched Gojira and it was really enjoyable. Old, not great quality 4x3 screen image, but the story was much better developed.
27. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I went for the 2D edition. I'm not the biggest fan of 3D movies, although for Avatar it was pretty well done.
26. Adrian38 (Posts: 140; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
Don't waste your money! Not worth it Haha
2. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
mid Q1 is MWC 2015
If it's capable of folding in half that would be a whole different sales story from the first gen G Flex.
5. fzacek (Posts: 2468; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I don't really think it would be able to fold in half cleanly though...
4. fzacek (Posts: 2468; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
It's an awesome concept, but I just wish they didn't have to make it so big...
6. Pings (Posts: 301; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I thought the LG Flex would be a good phone for my mom who is 65. For one major reason the 6 inch 720p resolution. She can read and see it no problem. Now she has it and loves it for that reason. A lower resolution + a huge screen = a win for old people.
13. fzacek (Posts: 2468; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
A higher resolution would not have made it harder to read the screen. Resolution does not affect the size of things on a smartphone. What you are thinking of only happens on computers when you change the resolution...
29. Pings (Posts: 301; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
It sure does I have a thl T200 a 6" at 1080p. It the same thing as on a computer just the manufacture changes the resolution not you.
7. snowgator (Posts: 3397; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
My wife loves her stinking Flex. Just can't put it down. A Flex 2 early next year may work for my pocketbook, still stinging from buying that beast outright.
8. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Looks like the Korean tech companies are on fire.
Samsung is supposed to release the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy S6 with a flexible display right?
9. mturby (unregistered)
show samsung how its done lg!
12. wilsong17 (unregistered)
lol note 4 is coming with bendable display so haha
20. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Samsung will show a practical bending device first at IFA 2014 with its Galaxy Note 4.
22. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Someone could make the argument "I will put my Note 4 in my back pocket and want it to bend when I sit on it"... but this is just a laugh. Even if the phone bent, you will get a dent in your Note 4 over time.
Hopefully Samsung doesn't go "full ugly" with the Note 4, puts an 805 or better chip in it, 3GB+ RAM, QHD screen, great audio, and calls it a day. Bonus points if they drop the heartbeat gimmick from the S5 and include dual tone flash -- or add OIS to the camera.
24. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I don't think the Note 4 would be bendable though. I think it will have a 3 sided curved display like the ones shown on their patents.
Yeah I really would like to have the OIS on their device this time. But the S5's camera is absolutely amazing though.
14. BattleBrat (Posts: 1274; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I hope they give the flex 2 some horsepower, the flex 1 was lacking
31. 3rdDegree (Posts: 211; Member since: 13 Jul 2013)
But it had the most superior CPU at the time?
15. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I was thinking of buying the first one, but the screen resolution was a big turn off. They must have found a way to bring 1080p to these types of flex screens....will keep an eye open for this one...
19. fzacek (Posts: 2468; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I thought the exact same thing. Why would they put a pathetic 720p display in an expensive, high-end 6" phone...
28. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I believe because they had not developed the tech past 720p - P-OLED has only been made to 720p - that has to change....probably will with the FLEX 2....
16. fzacek (Posts: 2468; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Such an expensive phone with a 720p display was a fail on LG's part...
33. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
As well S cheap plastic degrading low quality materials
Why not use pure thick sapphire glass which looks more premium quality the cheap junk plastic
34. wilsong17 (unregistered)
Because only fan boy care about if you think cheap plastic is bad then why galaxy s3, s4, so note 3 sell much most of you bimbo end up putting a case my note 2 is in a case since it came out if I take the case out is shining brand new. .. I have yet put a cover on my note 3 is still look the same
35. WickedDante90 (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
I'm Gonna say that the "unique feature" will be 3D. The 3DS kind. So if it is 3D, get ready for a headache