Great news: Samsung reportedly trimming TouchWiz fat, aims for a "Nexus 6-level" UI for the Galaxy S6
1. tech2 (Posts: 3327; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Its not for S6 only. They've trimmed TouchWiz pretty significantly in Android L. The changes in TouchWiz in Android L goes beyond aesthetics.
5. tech2 (Posts: 3327; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Also, it wins against Nexus on speed test ! That too by consuming less resources.
15. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3702; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
That's really a great news, also some new look & feel should be included.
64. AnTuTu (Posts: 1575; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
WoW Sammy is killing the stock Android.
This is Samsung so don't joke with the giant :)
39. joey_sfb (Posts: 5242; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I do like the new touchwiz in my Note 3. However, i would hope they give us a choice of a custom theme to take advantage of OLED black and gray power saving feature.
40. tech2 (Posts: 3327; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yeah. I think there leaks last month suggesting that:http://www.phonearena.com/news
Also, you know you can enable Grayscale mode on your Note without turning on the powersavingmode.
61. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4799; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Hey I am all for improvement. This is very good news!
10. AnTuTu (Posts: 1575; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
S6 is just getting more exciting with every news. Hoping for Sammy to make a come back with a bang :)
36. SupermanayrB (Posts: 414; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Comeback?! Where exactly did Samsung go? Now if you mean looking for the Galaxy S series to make a comeback then I agree.
55. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 7841; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
The S5 still outsold the previous model, just not as much as expected.
Samsung was raped by the media over its lackluster upgrade from the s4 to s5, yet Apple has had lackluster upgrades every single year and they are praised for it.
Samsung is still the top selling OEM with Android and still has the highest profit margin above everyone else.
60. j2001m (Posts: 2755; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
The s5 had way more upgrades on it over the s4 than the 5s to 6s, I say if they have added 3gb then they will have had a better time of it with the press, the s4 also always got hot.
53. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Oh I knew that this is going to happen eventually.
And I knew my Galaxy Note 3 has yet to see its best days!
When Samsung really decides to do something, you can rest assured it will be done.
Now mark my words - the Galaxy S 6 will present us with the best handheld OS performance yet.
2. teenaxta (Posts: 42; Member since: 10 Sep 2014)
make a simple UI, remove crap features, upgrade the hardware with a metal body and add nothing in software, im getting the S6...
4. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
Yeah, it might be my first Samsung phone ever. Hope Samsung gets it right this time, the UI must be as smooth as Sense UI and Zen UI.
3. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
The leaked UI looks way better than the current Touchwiz.
69. roozbeh101 (Posts: 92; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
they also patented "victoria justice " which is nice! :D
6. Planterz (Posts: 1999; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
This would certainly be refreshing. It's possible to offer all the features they want to without clogging up the UI, status bar, and notification drop-down. At least give people the option to add/remove what they offer. I have to use Xposed to remove the deluge of idiotic garbage in the status bar and notifications on my dinky Galaxy Light, but that doesn't fix the convoluted mess that is the system settings menu. If I had a GS5 or Note 4, I'd have to resist the urge to throw the hunk of crap against the wall before remembering to resell it and buy something else.
8. Techfriend (Posts: 32; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Now i believe Even tech dreams can be true bring it on Sammy !!
11. tiara6918 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Don't trim too much or else will look too much boring and flat
12. Settings (Posts: 1448; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
My Galaxy S4 just greeted me a Merry Christmas today!
29. Cicero (Posts: 847; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Sometimes the S4 have its own pride. Do not accept all the owners. LOL (sorry I couldn't resist).
52. chocowii (Posts: 432; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Touchwiz is so slow, took a while to greet him a Merry Christmas.
13. deanylev (Posts: 195; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
If this is the Galaxy S6, they'll have a winner (I doubt a lot of these specs):
5.3" Super AMOLED 2560x1440 Display OR 5.3" Super AMOLED Plus 1920x1080 Display w/ 2.5D Gorilla Glass 4
Snapdragon 810 @ 2.0GHz, 1.5GHz
4GB of LPDDR4 RAM OR 3GB of LPDDR4 RAM
21MP, 1/1.5" Sensor w/ Dual LED Dual-Tone flash & 2160p 60FPS / 1080p 120FPS / 720p 240FPS Video Recording
5MP 1/3.2" Sensor w/ Soft LED flash & 1440p 30FPS / 1080p 60FPS Video Recording
Removable 3500mAh Battery w/ Quick Charging
Quad Microphone Array w/ Noise cancelling
Front Facing Stereo Speakers w/ Dedicated Amps
Dedicated Camera Button
Capacitive Fingerprint Sensor w/ 10 fingers registerable
Thick Aluminium Outer Chassis w/ Seperate Removable Aluminium Backplate (akin to HTC J One, Magnesium Inner Chassis
At least 75% Screen to body ratio
Qi Wireless Charging
I think that's it... Lol
21. mixedfish (Posts: 1144; Member since: 17 Nov 2013)
1/1.5" sensor, maybe if you like S6 to look like a brick, sure. Otherwise keep dreaming.
14. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1981; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
someone is dreaming of Galaxy s7,lol..
16. RareCandy (banned) (Posts: 61; Member since: 20 Nov 2014)
fugly and g@y, love my iphone 6 :)
20. sip1995 (Posts: 1544; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Indeed, Samsung has one of the ugliest ui ever...
23. Neros (Posts: 1016; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
Overprized and boring os + garbage ppi with inferior colour reproduction, pathetic battery life, average camera that lacks ois, details, and 4k support, storage is grabage, as you get 16GB in the base model.
Sorry, bro, but ip6 is just a sh*t device. The best apple product is ipad. Look at the specs of this beast and now look at your pathetic iphone. Yeah, ipad air 2 = ip6s basically.
Android phone + ipad is the best combo so far.
50. vandroid (Posts: 326; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
I don't understand why people say boring os. If you want a boring os grab a feature phone. Other than that find a new argument. If your phone didn't have apps you probably wouldn't have gotten it. And honestly 4k is not a needed feature, you probably don't have a 4k tv at home so if it's just your phone you're not missing anything and it would be limited to just your phone. I agree with storage being garbage with the 16GB. You can shrug off this comment but I use to be an anti Apple android fanboy. But iOS has superior apps. You can argue that all you want but the things I do on this os make me never want to go back to android unless they had the same apps.
42. Diezparda (Posts: 823; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
LOL, how is your comment related to this article? IOS, boring, unchanging ui, just a grid of apps and lacking features unless you jailbreak it.
54. GalaxyS5 (banned) (Posts: 430; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
tim cook is g-y, I wonder why h0m0s are attracted to iphones .. maybe it's the way timmy likes it.
67. medtxa (Posts: 1103; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
no homophobe please! still does he/she know that tim cook is gay and posted an anti gay comment?
17. Cyagocaliz (unregistered)
No matter how much Samsung puts effort on TouchWiz, they NEVER EVER will be able to outperform iPhone's high quality UI. LagWiz always lags, and had never performed smoothly and never will :D
24. Neros (Posts: 1016; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
How much of a retard are you? Go watch speed tests of note 4 vs ip6 and 6+. Spoiler alert. Note smokes your little g@y toy pbone.
25. Tritinum (Posts: 471; Member since: 06 May 2014)
Am i the only one who notices the contacts are Barney Stinson, Robin Scherbatsky & Lily Aldrin from HIMYM lol!
26. Denco (Posts: 118; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
It's long overdue that Samsung should trim TouchWiz.
The Korean tech titan should take its time and do a thorough job on Galaxy S6 before rushing to unveiling.
With the competition heating up hotter than ever (Xiaomi and OnePlus are roaring, old Chinese heavyweights llike Huawei and Lenovo are waking up, and Apple is biting bigger than ever), the Galaxy S6 is the last chance of Samsung to save its decline in profit and market share.
65. Furbal (Posts: 885; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
yeah there hardware has always been stellar, software is what they need to fix.
27. nctx77 (Posts: 1643; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Looks like Apple had it right all along. Just buy an iPhone folks!
31. Neros (Posts: 1016; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
Garbage specs and primitive os? Why would anyone want to have a toy for kids/old people instead of a real smartphone?
45. Diezparda (Posts: 823; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Expensive, lack features, iTunes required for file transfer, no default file manager, no memory card expansion, 8mp camera lags behind others, ridiculous screen to body ratio, there is a lot disadvantages of iPhone and i'm telling you even touchwiz run very pretty on galaxy s5 and note 3. Better try one buddy.
56. GalaxyS5 (banned) (Posts: 430; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
a phone running FlinstoneOS is not for me, sorry.
62. tedkord (Posts: 9868; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I want my phone now. I can't wait 3 years until Apple catches up.
32. .KRATOS. (Posts: 301; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
As much as that's a gd news a redesign of the overall TouchWiz, I hope they redesign the handset it's quite boring to see all the galaxy lines look alike.
33. Orion78 (Posts: 77; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
UI wise, Samsung will never be on the level of a Nexus. Sure they may trim certain things down but this is Samsung we're talking about. Sorry Sammy fanboys.
35. XaErO (Posts: 296; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
38. Orion78 (Posts: 77; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
And? What does that prove? Wow milliseconds makes a world of difference in real life use. It still doesn't hide the fact that crapwhiz is a abomination to android. Oh not to mention that alot of Nexus 5s ...made by LG was buggy to begin with.
41. tedkord (Posts: 9868; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The abomination sells more than any other. By a lot.
57. GalaxyS5 (banned) (Posts: 430; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
lol, tell me how many people think nexus ui is good looking? I'm pretty sure nearly no one. Touchwiz? when you do not include the 120 p!ssed ex-nokia and apple advocates here on the internet and go to the streets you'll see people finding it really good and they do not have a problem with it.. unless you live on a haunted street where everybody owns a galaxy pocket ..
66. hwb01 (Posts: 234; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
I had a stock lollipop ROM on my Galaxy Tab 2, it was very lacking in features compared to TouchWiz.
If I didn't have a galaxy phone, I probably would have gone back to TouchWiz.
34. Symon_Fleece (Posts: 334; Member since: 30 May 2014)
Hope this is true. I like touchwiz, a slimmer vesion will be great with android L.
37. SupermanayrB (Posts: 414; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Nothing Holo or Nova Launcher can't fix. It's not that serious.