Google Play Store fails again on Nexus 4 sales traffic, Nexus sold out
1. impaler (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
The Nexus 4 16GB has been removed from my cart at least a dozen times. It's an absolute mess.
38. joseph98 (Posts: 167; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
Same happened to me. But finnaly I mastered google store. I opened 4 browsers... chrome, ie, opera and firefox . I kept refreshing the page with f5. After I add the phone my shopping cart disappeared but finally I could place my order for the Nexus 4, 16GB. They charged me handling fees $13.99 for 2 days shipping.... Total was $394.xx . It took me 3 hours to finally go throught with my order. I failed the last time ( 2 weeks ago) but this time I got it, you've got to keep trying to buy this Nexus. I felt for a moment as if it is for free being that hard to get.
My winner browser for this task was google chrome.
2. FoxDavis (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Im still trying, this is very poor on Google's part.
62. fanesxx (Posts: 66; Member since: 19 May 2011)
they should add up pre order and sent them out as they come in, but it's their first time having a sold out nexus on their store, i know their on something...........hopefully
3. kcombs (Posts: 245; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
I've been trying since it went live, still nothing. this is sad..
4. iliketech (Posts: 53; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Yea, I had once in my cart and couldn't checkout...
What a pain I think I'll just get the optimus g from ATT...
5. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
"If a blessing doesnt get attacked then how do you know its a blessing?"
The nexus 4 is a blessing indeed.....be as patient as you can be people this one is going to be a hell of a ride!
15. Izzy_V (Posts: 216; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yeah, but as part of the sheepple herd, it's michael's job to make it look like it's all because of Google as if they were intentionally blocking people from buying the phone. You'd think that on a tech site people would know how unstable servers can be when a mass of people are trying to get on at the same time. This shows that the phone is in extremely high demand. ;)
19. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
yea kind of surprising from michael but hes human too so gotta excuse that somtimes.....
31. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2647; Member since: 26 May 2011)
You have got to be kidding me. I am so sick of people trying to paint me as an Apple fanboy because I don't make excuses when Google screws up.
Yes, servers can crash when under high strain, but there are also plenty of ways to avoid that problem. No matter how many people are crashing Amazon on Black Friday, the site doesn't have these issues. Even Twitter has gotten rid of the fail whale in its most high stress moments.
Google has more servers available than most companies in the world, and saw exactly what to expect and what the problems were 2 weeks ago, but still had the same exact problems. And, I'm the one who's biased because I'm annoyed at the company?
I never said anything to insinuate that Google was "intentionally blocking people", that's your own bias talking. All I said was that it's unacceptable for Google to have a repeat failure like this.
35. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
you're not biased bro, not at all IMO.......i just sensed frustration in this article (which is understandable in this situation).........nothing more
37. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2647; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I wasn't targeting you with my comment. I know that you tend to be on my side.
39. rusticguy (Posts: 2814; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
I am from India and your site shows me coming from CHINA so banned. This disappears on doing F5. Wierd really ... and im serious and not joking.
So Chinese not allowed to post from China IP here?
Not sure why my IP is being recognised as coming from China.
46. Izzy_V (Posts: 216; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Amazon and Twitter are used to masses of people coming onto their site for those purposes, Amazon for making purchases, etc. and Twitter for social networking. Look at all the services that are available from Google.
They didn't run into these problems with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 because they were guaranteed to be in several retail stores/carriers, the Nexus 4 is strictly from the Play Store and T-Mo. at this time. Think of the traffic that stores AND their sites took away from Google's own page for the other Nexus devices.
You're biased simply because of how you speak about each company - you write articles about apple for the smallest thing that has to do with them and here you're bashing Google as if it is entirely their fault. LG has no no fault whatsoever for manufacturing the actual phone itself? Really?
I had said "to make it look like it's all because of Google as if they were intentionally blocking people from buying the phone", SUGGESTING that you're putting ALL, emphasis on ALL, the blame on Google without thinking about any other possibility of why this is happening or at least that's what you're making it out to be. Must be my bias, huh.
When you say "All I said was that it's unacceptable for Google to have a repeat failure like this." it further proves bias because I've not seen a single time when you've written an article about a mistake from apple (because it's perfect, right?) to begin with and Google is partially to blame for this and you're trying this hard to bash it on top of putting it, and only it, at fault.
53. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Man please relax, it's all Googles fault. Who is to blame? Chrome? Oh wait... Leave MH out of your frustrations, it is not his fault for bashing Google when they screw up this badly.
61. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2647; Member since: 26 May 2011)
If you haven't seen it, it's because you haven't looked. I've gotten on Apple for the failure of Maps, Siri outages, and the stagnant iOS UI.
6. sojizy (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Aug 2008)
The phone isn't sold out. Just went and got my phone a few minutes ago. You just have to keep clicking on the proceed tab multiple times until it lets you go past that.
7. iliketech (Posts: 53; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Such a big company can't even take a sales order the most basic thing in business!!!
57. darkkjedii (Posts: 10069; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If thi was apple or Microsoft, the droiders would b all over it bashing.
58. tedkord (Posts: 4254; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The difference is, as an Android user, I'm ready to call Google out on this. It was unacceptable. It took me three anda half hours to get my order in. The first two hours, the phone kept disappearing from my cart. It was amateur hour, and very frustrating.
Now, if it happened with Apple, as you said, there would be Apple supporters here making 1001 excuses, and most would claim it never happened, and that it was just the media and fandroids perpetuating the myth.
8. sojizy (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Aug 2008)
Just tried that little trick again and it didn't work. Bummer
9. andynaija (Posts: 423; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
It doesn't say that it's sold out but the shipping time increased from 2 weeks to 6-7 weeks.
10. bvalde09 (Posts: 172; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Mmmm I just went into th ePlay Store and the google Nexus 4 8GB could still be add it but Ships in 6 - 7 weeks and the 16GB Ships 1 - 2 Weeks
12. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
yea i just looked at it too but if you click "proceed" you might get a message that say "due to high demand your order could not be processed"
So we just gotta wait..........as this is kind of like giving away FREE MONEY and the whole world is in line.........not just a bunch of apple fans lol......(no hard feeling apple fans) :)
16. bvalde09 (Posts: 172; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I guess is like you said we just have to wair. I just Went again and the 16GB version change 2-3 weeks XD. So Im gonna guess that there is a way to place the order
11. makkhay (Posts: 4; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
"Due to high demand, your order could not be processed. Please try again later" I'm sick and tired of seeing this. Now I'm curious that is anybody able to order nexus 4!!. really disappointed.
17. bvalde09 (Posts: 172; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I did The only thing it throw me out was the shipping time
13. sorcio46 (Posts: 394; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
Keep spamming F5 Guys if you receive the "SOLD OUT"
Now I see (From Italy with a Proxy) that it says "SHIPS SOON Ships in 2 - 3 weeks"
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7291; Member since: 14 May 2012)
People on Craigslist are selling the 8GB model for over $500. I want the phone, but not for the price. :/
22. sorcio46 (Posts: 394; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
You know that for that price you could have had 2 Nexus 4?
50. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
well for the price of the nexus 4 you could have 3 nokia asha's and have change whats your point. the only thing the nexus has as its major selling point is its cheap. besides the note 2 is worth the extra cash as its a better phone/phablet however you wanna class it
51. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Really? Sold out every freaking day and the only way of getting one is paying 500-600 and thats just the 8gb model on ebay. No I thought about getting the Nexus 4 but with it being sold out all the time, I got sick of waiting. I wanted the Note 2 anyway and im very happy with my purchase. Now keep waiting and hoping you can buy the Nexus 4 tomorrow.
20. kcombs (Posts: 245; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
after 3 hours and 38 minutes I got through.
21. tedkord (Posts: 4254; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I just got one. Of course, its been in my cart for about two hours. Should arrive in tinge for Christmas.
23. Brendan126 (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2010)
Google is actually still letting me get through. Showing the add to cart buttons despite seeing the "Sold Out" text a couple of hours ago. New Nexus 4 on the way!
24. tony1212 (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Like many others, could not order one. I am a true fan of the Nexus, but right now I must show a lot more respect to Apple...
25. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Server outage.. okay, even if it's Google we're talking .. even if it's their second time.. it doesn't mean it could've been prevented.
Google isn't omnipotent.
If tens of million people flock onto same server at once, it WILL crash.
It's that simple.
26. BuddyGlass (Posts: 20; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
Ahhh!!! I had it but I hit F5 again and lost it! fkthis!
29. BuddyGlass (Posts: 20; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
I got it!!!
Thank you. Your order has been placed, and you will receive an email shortly with the details of your purchase.
$397.02 after tax and shipping
27. mike2959 (Posts: 190; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
That's another reason to grab the Optimus G, along with expandable memory, LTE, and the benchmarks are even better on ISC...
28. Zero0 (Posts: 570; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
It's in stock. The time to ship is growing, and it's near impossible to get a request processed, but it's available, sort of.
33. itiswhatitis (Posts: 421; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
It's available now but it says ship in 2-3 weeks,anyway I think it's better that way
36. KingLeonidas (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
after refreshing and trying to "proceed" for 3hrs & 40 mins I finally got it!!
40. BuddyGlass (Posts: 20; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
Same here, now we get to wait a few weeks for Google to tell us its backorderded
41. _Bone_ (Posts: 2103; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Just buy an iPhone or a Lumia or a Note 2.
43. FoxDavis (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
only if you could buy them contract free...
52. tedkord (Posts: 4254; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Note is too big for my purpose, the Lumia isn't for me and I wouldn't spend $0.01 on an iPhone.
42. FoxDavis (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Who bought more then 1? I was thinking of buying 2 but ended up just getting 1.
44. ginzls1 (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I really dont know what everyone is complaining about i got two of them
45. E-TiE (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
I just got mine. I experienced the problems described here, but I let my order stay in my cart and eventually it went thru. So if you're in that situation, don't close the browser window. Keep trying! Good luck!
47. Edmund (Posts: 654; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Hilarious. The executive that made this lame-brain decision to sell the nexus 4 at a 0% return on profit will undoubtedly be shown the door. Using a conservative estimate, the loss of (potential) income is $1 billion ($200 x 5,000,000 units)
49. FoxDavis (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
How do you know what Google paid for the phone in the first place. I am sure LG gave them a good price. Plus now more people will be apart of the Android eco-system. I have an iphone but now one of these so looks like I am going to buy some Android apps....etc.
48. liclemack (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
My order just went through after 5 hours! So the phone isn't sold out.
54. Mooooo (Posts: 212; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
I was very lucky. I got two 16 gb models. I was using chrome and I hit the site right when they opened up the website. I hate to say this because a lot of people struggled but I had no problems and got the confirmation email shipping in 1-2 weeks right away.
I am surprised that Google did not fix these issues better to make it easier for most. They must of known that demand would be very high because of its price. I am glad its on its way soon. I have an old HTC Aria that I bought as a backup because my Nexus S died. The HTC Aria is cute but I am going to go blind using it since the screen is small.
55. hzelaya (Posts: 5; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
I just placed an order for 2 nexus 4's. I had added two to my cart around 3pm ET and kept refreshing, etc and than gave up. I put my laptop to sleep and just opened it now and looked at the cart and there were the two phones. I was able to put the order through. It did show 7-8 weeks on shipping so I guess it will be a while though
56. Mooooo (Posts: 212; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
Just checked google play they are not sold out you can still buy them. It is 8:34 pm EST as I type this.