Apple planning to chuck Google Maps in iOS 6, use homebrew backend and 3D mapping instead
13. davecann2 posted on 11 May 2012, 09:27 2 3
Its been a while since I've been really excited about what Apple is doing... This could be something to break that trend.
17. iamcc posted on 11 May 2012, 09:52 5 2
Exactly. Every year I find myself watching Apple's new products get released and i've been disappointed for a bit now...
I'm very much looking forward to the iPhone5 and stuff like this is what Apple has to do in order to bring people like myself back to their customer base.
25. davecann2 posted on 11 May 2012, 10:17 0 0
Yeah, I've always been excited when the rumor mill begins to turn. Then comes the actually announcement. I'm not saying that I'm always unimpressed or disappointed.... I'm say that it’s just not a big deal to me.
55. darac posted on 12 May 2012, 06:06 0 0
Yeah, but what about the street view?
Did anyone else but Google did that?
47. cripton805 posted on 11 May 2012, 16:33 0 2
This has been out for years on googles phones...
49. Lucas777 posted on 11 May 2012, 19:53 1 0
google does not look nearly that good or that detailed… those are some pretty realistic renderings of the city… the idea of 3d rendering was way before google anyways
5. speckledapple posted on 11 May 2012, 09:09 7 2
This makes sense as Apple would want to control every aspect of their product. You had to have figured they would do it eventually. Though I am sure that just as google search is still available on iOS, so will google maps.
6. bloodline posted on 11 May 2012, 09:10 3 5
prefer google maps/street/earth
apple dun goofed
8. davecann2 posted on 11 May 2012, 09:12 9 4
How can you prefer google maps over Apples when it hasn't even come out yet? You have no idea what it will be like.
19. bloodline posted on 11 May 2012, 10:07 1 4
because google maps has been around for years, its tried, its tested its improved.
Apple version will be like a beta
23. davecann2 posted on 11 May 2012, 10:14 3 0
I agree, Google maps is awesome! I'm just saying that you can’t make a rational informed choice before you've had the opportunity to try both.
I understand preference but let call it like it is... loyalty
29. Phoneguy007 posted on 11 May 2012, 10:58 0 0
52. chadrick0814 posted on 11 May 2012, 23:09 0 0
Hello pot...this is kettle.
45. DigitalBoy05 posted on 11 May 2012, 15:50 0 1
i have a strong feeling that the new apple map program will lack voice turn by turn directions at launch and then include it a year or two down the road. my conclusion is based on apple taking 3 years to include picture messaging and cut copy paste and 4 years to allow you to change your wallpaper. Still waiting for native support for Bluetooth contact transfer support.
34. eDiesel posted on 11 May 2012, 12:11 0 0
Even though its looks unnatural and computer animated compared to gmaps its still pretty cool.
7. troybuilt posted on 11 May 2012, 09:12 3 8
uh oh. waiiting on a taco comment bashing Google over Apple's desicion here. He doesn't realize how many google apps are actually on IOS. hmmm.. Go figure!
10. protozeloz posted on 11 May 2012, 09:22 7 1
even when we know how predictable that troll is, there is no need to call him, that will just make him believe he is actually someone important
14. ilia1986 posted on 11 May 2012, 09:28 6 3
I have a theory that taco is actually an Apple experiment - an upgrade to Siri. Siri is built to give people useful information. Taco is built to misguide, confuse, misdirect, mislead and harass people and blindly promote the Apple fanaticism.
18. Fallout09 posted on 11 May 2012, 10:00 2 0
Taco is "Magical" and "Just Works".... No thank you.
30. taco50 (banned) posted on 11 May 2012, 11:20 3 3
Do I smell a fan?!!
Do tell how many google apps are part of ios?
11. davecann2 posted on 11 May 2012, 09:23 0 0
I hope Apple doesnt get rid of Google Earth... It's one of the best apps on iOS!!
15. taz89 posted on 11 May 2012, 09:30 2 0
i dont think they will get rid off any google apps...maps will probably be on the app store like all other google products...i think the last time they ''banned'' google apps from the app store they had some sort of anti-competitive issues so think they will not go down that route.but this is apple so anythings possible..hopefully they dont cause if there is no google services on ios the chances of me and many android users to ever go back to ios will be very unlikely.
12. strikercho posted on 11 May 2012, 09:26 2 1
Up to now the best maps/navigation belongs to Nokia. I've tried Google and Android - I don't like it. Let's see with what Apple will come. I beleive that as usual they will be the best.
22. Fallout09 posted on 11 May 2012, 10:14 0 0
I perfer Sprint's free Telenav service compared to Google Maps. Never used Nokia's navigation so I cant say how good/bad it is.
16. angelesmec posted on 11 May 2012, 09:43 0 0
how about google+ and google search? It is better apple has it's own services in the near future..
20. wp74ver (banned) posted on 11 May 2012, 10:09 0 5
Anything against google have to love ,i hate copy cats . I wish apple and Microsoft block all their product go do something original so I don't have to pay for using things u didn't created looser,they didn't want to support wp7 cuz Microsoft make 300 millions a years more than what they make from their on crap lol no they r crying cuz crome might no be on windows 8 lol that's call pay back google it lol.
21. sithman (banned) posted on 11 May 2012, 10:09 1 1
It would rock if they have turn by turn voice guided nav with it.
24. bloodline posted on 11 May 2012, 10:16 1 4
If they do I hope nokia and google sue them.
Apple would do it if it was the other way round
26. Whateverman posted on 11 May 2012, 10:25 1 0
Very, very nice! This should be a wake up call to Google that those 3yr old maps ain't cutting it anymore. I still love using Google maps, its a great feature but I hate navigating to a business that's been closed for two years. If it has live traffic updates, construction updates and turn by turn navigation...Apple will have a real winner on their hands!
37. Fallout09 posted on 11 May 2012, 12:43 2 0
Update business and listings.... yes.... Update turn by turn navigation like these high rez 3d maps....NO! LTE data is not everywhere. Just imagine trying to drive to BFE waiting on 1x data trying to pull down this data just to tell you were to turn next. Also think of the chunk of data out of your data limit just to see these detailed maps.
39. Whateverman posted on 11 May 2012, 14:13 0 0
I'm on an unlimited plan, but still...you have a valid point. Maybe the hi Rez we can do without. +1
27. remixfa posted on 11 May 2012, 10:29 1 0
Didnt Michael or someone have an article about this a while back? Looks like the old rumor is proving true.
I'm glad to see it. This brings much needed competition to the Mapping space. Google has been doing a fantastic job and so has Nokia, but the more competition ,the better it is for all of us.
The video is pretty cool.
Fortunately or unfortunately, that is going to take a lot of horsepower to run, so the next iphone better have a pretty sizable jump in specs and most importantly RAM to push that smoothly.
54. mrochester (unregistered) posted on 12 May 2012, 02:07 0 0
I think it's a given that Apple will ensure any new mapping app will run smoothly.
I wonder how much in licensing fees Google will lose over any potential switch away from Google maps? We know that Google earns a lot of money from iOS users and the mapping license fee must be a large part of that.
28. Sniggly posted on 11 May 2012, 10:35 1 1
Great that Apple is going to try to do something with maps and navigation instead of letting Google run over them repeatedly in that regard, but I'm not looking forward to the marketing thing.
"Why do you want an iPhone?"
"Because it has NAVIGATION!!!!"
"Your Android phone has navigation too."
"Oh really?" (mildly retarded glance at phone) "This 3 year old phone? But it doesn't call me by name!" *morphs into the Forever Alone guy*
31. taco50 (banned) posted on 11 May 2012, 11:23 4 5
It's not only Apple that is moving away from google maps. Wikipedia and Facebook are a couple of major companies that are doing it as well. Google's anti competitive behavior is catching up to them.
36. remixfa posted on 11 May 2012, 12:21 3 1
40. Whateverman posted on 11 May 2012, 14:14 0 0
STOP IT...you're KILLING me!
42. remixfa posted on 11 May 2012, 15:18 0 1
shhh.. im trying to use advanced communications to "speak" to the trolls :) :) :)
51. GellerDoesDallas posted on 11 May 2012, 21:21 0 1
Anticompetitive behavior you must be out of your mind, Apple is the only company that is anticompetitive go back to playing with your GIRL phone sir.
53. chadrick0814 posted on 11 May 2012, 23:18 0 1
Didn't apple try to make a deal with amazon by giving them the book market and preventing amazon from selling media? You really don't think before you post things.
41. Iphone4 (unregistered) posted on 11 May 2012, 14:48 1 2
Not surprised, google search engine will be gone soon.
43. rn9215 posted on 11 May 2012, 15:19 0 0
Thats going to kill the phones batteries in no time....rendering all that 3d stuff on screen uses more power than regular maps!
46. alan_1230 posted on 11 May 2012, 16:20 1 1
i think its funny how apple has to copy Google and when somebody makes something similar to apple they want to sue right away lol and i don't care what you fan boys reply with don't even bother because i say what i want :)
48. thebikerboi2 posted on 11 May 2012, 17:45 0 1
If this is true then this will be a deadly mistake for apple
50. APPLE_R0YALLY (banned) posted on 11 May 2012, 19:59 1 1
We like™ Google products.............!?