Vivo Xplay3S to be the world’s first 2560x1440 pixels display 2K HD phone
10. _Bone_ (Posts: 2147; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
So was 720p screen, LTE, 5" display, wireless charging, S-pen and other things we now love and use.
14. sid07desai (Posts: 289; Member since: 03 May 2012)
720p was a necessity. People need atleast and at most 300ppi. LTE is a luxury. 5" display is peoples' preference. wireless charging is a gimmick. S-pen is somewhat useful for business and design.
15. Commentator (Posts: 2725; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
"People need at least and at most 300 ppi."
Are you head of Apple's marketing department? The entire "300 ppi-Retina Display" thing is a gimmick.
17. someones4 (Posts: 622; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
What are you talking about? HD screens are awesome. Haven't got to try out 1080p yet though.
Also: Ash is a lousy trainer
26. jacko1977 (Posts: 419; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
i NEVER go back to a 720p screen after 1080p i can see jagz on letters and numbers now on 720p
21. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Agree with you Sid. 720p was a necessity...1080p and the usage of resolutions above it on phones is just for the sake of following the trend...not because we need it.
Galaxy Note II is a perfect example. It has a bigger than 5 inch screen and a resolution of 720p...and it looks perfect. Those saying no are looking too close...
Android OEMs should stop raising the screen size and resolution and start optimizing their OS and improve the battery life.
24. Shubham412302 (Posts: 332; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
its not a gimmick or a need but necessary for the future.
if every oem thinks its too much high then our gadget will not grow.
then you will even say 192 cores in upcomming tegra 5 gpu a gimmic.
its necessary for oems to push limits so that we could enjoy contents like hd gaming and high resolution gaming on a phone or phablet.
you can easily notice difference in videos on note 2 and note 3
29. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1750; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Please Please Please! Leave the HD gaming to PC and consoles... Phones need to be phones... I enjoy 720p screen as much as 1080p screen. All the video contents out there is mostly 720p or lower. 1080p is just a bit overkill at the moment, but it will be a must in the future. I watched same video in 720p and 1080p side by side on two phones... I didn't notice too much of different. At the end of the day, I could careless. However, battery life in the other hand is much more important. When can we see a phone that is able endure a 10 hours of continuous usage that means I will be able to play game on my phone 10 hours straight. I am luck to even get 2 hours right now
4. Bfrenz (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
We need this,4k videos aren't gonna look great on 1080p display.
9. kanagadeepan (Posts: 756; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
4k videos will NOT be great on 1080 display equipped 52" Televisions, ONLY IF YOU ARE STANDING TOO CLOSE TO YOUR TELEVISION...
But on 5" to 6.5" phablets, 2k is definitely overkill, even if you keep the phone 1cm away from your phone when viewing 4k videos....
20. _Bone_ (Posts: 2147; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Huh? 2k stands for 2000 and refers to 1920x in technology. How is 2k an overkill for 6,5" if you have 2k on a 4,7" phone such as the HTC One?
27. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3274; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
What difference does it make? You still won't be able to watch a 4K video in its full glory on a 2K screen.
5. ngyixian96 (Posts: 91; Member since: 05 Feb 2012)
that's not smartphone , that's a phablet
And 1080p screen is enough for human eyes
32. openmatrix (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Oct 2013)
No bro, our eyes are capable of differentiating pixels even in a 5 inch phab with 4k resolution . This is because a phab with 5 inch needs a 900 ppi range to max out the full potential of our eye (yes of course! !)
Please don't be a fool by believing what steve Jobs said (human eyes are only capable of taking 300 ppi blah blah..,) coz it's their marketing trick to sell their ish*t devices.
If you want proof , then just check in here ---->
38. ngyixian96 (Posts: 91; Member since: 05 Feb 2012)
2k display ? still doesn't make me buy one
Disadvantage 1 : you need more storage to store a 2k video
Disadvantage 2 : more pixel more brightness , easily harm eyes when in dark
Oh come on , do not believe to Steve Jobs ?!?! what on earth are you talking about ?? Steve Jobs is god , only he can change the world , only he can take revolution of the technology. I don't think android device can do it , they just evolution.
Steve Jobs is good in presentation , that's why he can explain about human eyes.
What have Samsung explain about AMOLED ?!?! save more battery ?!?! more brightness ?!?!
Marketing trick ?!?! Are you joking with me right now ?? Those companies are poor in marketing trick , that's the reason why they lose to apple.
7. kanagadeepan (Posts: 756; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
OH... NO... Looks like this madness is NOT going to end anytime soon... This resolution is 4 times 720p found in Note2 or Moto X...
So a phone with 4k resolution display is definitely coming in 2014.... SMH...
34. openmatrix (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Oct 2013)
Possibly In Q4 of 2014 (may be through note 4 !!)
8. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
There's barley any gain, most people can't even tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p phone screen
11. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1042; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Exactly, 1080p is already a bit of a overkill, don't forget about the huge lost in graphic performance this will bring... I would much rather have 1080p again all over but IGZO with enhanced contrast, brightness and energy consumption!
12. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3380; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
What about batteries? This phone will need a very big battery.
13. solomonsteve (Posts: 75; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
Its gonna be a welcomed feature but wont have any big significance. i mean 1080p displays are so very very ok..
16. NAWF_SIDE (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Whoaaa., thats crazy.. but well welcomed ;-)
19. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
This'll spur evolution somewhat.
22. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
I would have been more than happy if this advancement was made in battery category. we need more MAPI (miliamper per inch) than DPI
30. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1750; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
YES YES YES!! Let's make the phone a bit thicker so it can pack about 5000mAh of battery.... or even 10,000 mAh!! Yes, that battery life will be very useful for me.
25. N-fanboy (Posts: 538; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
And iphones havent even reached 720p. Lol
31. GeekMovement (Posts: 1871; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
More battery consumption? ): Otherwise I'd be all in for this technological advancement as others have already stated. I'm with the increase-the-battery-first club.
37. prince34 (Posts: 5; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I just love ppi growing higher and higher....