Survey shows that kids want the Apple iPhone from Santa this year
But there were differences in the wish lists among boys and girls. And yes, boys will be boys as those of the male persuasion selected the Sony Playstation 4 as the present they most wanted to find from Santa this holiday season. But the 41% of girls who selected the iPhone was enough to put it on top of the combined list.
Back in 2010, Apple devices were on top of the wish list of those 5 to 16. In 2011, kids asked for the Apple iPhone 4s, the Apple iPad 2 and the Amazon Kindle Fire. Last year, the iPad was the most wanted holiday present with the iPhone dropping down to number 5 behind the Nintendo Wii U, the Apple iPod Touch and the Apple iPad mini.
1. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 194; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
12 to 17 olds are not kids.
They are called teenagers lol.
6. akki20892 (Posts: 3251; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Under 11 are not teenagers.
They are called kids lol.
2. TheCellX (Posts: 36; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
Youre kid.. until you have 18... nothing to do. Too sad that some parents will be buying these kind of gifts for their kids. The perfect parent replace when you need to watch football on tv...
5. quakan (Posts: 1140; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
It's kinda hard to understand what you were trying to say there.
8. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
An $800 phone for a Christmas present? My, my, what have we gotten ourselves into these days.
31. sarb009 (Posts: 284; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Don't worry, if santa is using an iPhone he won't ever reach his destination
36. Sauce (unregistered)
Or google maps. I've gotten misdirected about three times this past month. Idk if it's the Greenwhich area I just moved to, but aparently Google Maps does not work well around here.
61. downphoenix (Posts: 2267; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
True, Google Maps isnt perfect either... but at least it doesnt direct you off an overpass bridge during your presentation
47. Ninetysix (Posts: 1362; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
LOL Yeah..I mean Waze, google maps, Navigon, tomtom, etc are all available on the App store. Santa is not smart enough to try other gps apps.
11. Commentator (Posts: 2293; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
A wee little phone for their wee little hands! Bless!
41. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
The iPhone is a great toy for kids.
12. MistB (Posts: 550; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
What percentage of the survey on this site were actually 'kids' and not adults pretending to be kids?
13. Sniggly (Posts: 6695; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Well, duh. Kids are even more susceptible to marketing BS than adults. For them it's all about being cool and popular instead of getting the best product. And if they don't get exactly what they want they'll throw a fit. Just look at Twitter the day after Christmas. That's why when a parent comes in to get an iPhone for the kid, I don't even bother trying to sell something else unless the kid is there to talk to and show the other phone to.
16. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 818; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
So, if your logic holds true, wouldn't they be susceptible to the most pervasive and overwhelming "marketing BS"?
mco/status/396253597551570944/ photo/1?utm_medium=referral&ut m_source=pulsenews
22. Sniggly (Posts: 6695; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
That's total advertising for every part of Samsung electronics, and yes, as a matter of fact, it does hold true. Even as late as Samsung is to the marketing game compared to Apple, you can see that 12 percent of kids want a Galaxy device, when I'm sure that Samsung didn't even chart the last few years. Samsung is gaining mind share as a result of its marketing push.
25. zombiewolf115 (Posts: 36; Member since: 16 Jul 2013)
i remember when kids asked for toys and games for christmas now i have to deal with my little 9 year old daughter asking for a nexus 7 lol
27. TomTheNerd (Posts: 67; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
lucky it's so cheap then, she could have asked for a ipad.
29. zombiewolf115 (Posts: 36; Member since: 16 Jul 2013)
shes a good girl she knows nexus devices are the best
53. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
If you want a small 7" screen, then go with the Nexus 7.
If you can give up a few bells and whistles, I'll recommend the Nook 7" tablet that is going for under $100. The screen on the Nook is a bit wider than the Nexus 7, which makes reading in portrait mode a little easier.
28. nctx77 (Posts: 442; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
What!! No galaxy smart watch?!? This is a garbage study.....
46. Ninetysix (Posts: 1362; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
How good is the galaxy smart watch by itself? You're forgetting that you need another device with it?
33. JMartin22 (Posts: 712; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
My my; A 6 year old child of mine has no business possessing an $800 device. At best, kids of that age bracket deserve a feature phone or an old smartphone unit just for making mandatory phone calls and staying in touch with their guardians.
Parents these days are horrible role models for their kids. They should be teaching them the practices of hard work and value of a dollar; not giving them "toys" just because they're kids and they think they're "loving" and "caring" for their children by sabotaging their moral feature and success.
39. andynaija (Posts: 424; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
That's EXACTLY what I'm saying I don't know why there are 10 year olds walking around with Optumus L9's, Galaxies and iDevices. What business do they have!?! If it were me (I don't have kids) they'd be getting a feature phone. The only way they'd get a smart phone is if it were an old basic android (but not too old).
35. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
i want a lightsaber. a real working, sith style, lightsaber.
38. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6135; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
12yr Olds dont need a cell phone.
40. andynaija (Posts: 424; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Well I Kind of disagree because of safety concerns, parents should know where their child/children are. They just don't need a smartphone.
42. 14545 (Posts: 1059; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I sort of agree and disagree. At 12, you shouldn't be in a situation without your parents that requires you to have a cell phone. If we were talking about 15-16, sure, but at 12, no.
43. darkkjedii (Posts: 10103; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Smart kids, I'd have loved to get an iPhone as a youngster. Woulda been much better than electronic quarterback
49. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 885; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Where the hell am i ? Is this the line for Santa iPhone wishes? I would like an IMac, big Mac and fries and coke
50. Gamas_K (Posts: 60; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
I'm still 13 but I never want an iphone.. I just ask for Rp.1.000.000 (US$100)every Christmas from my parents and I can buy a lot of stuff.. I mean lot like shirt, buy games or others
51. -box- (Posts: 3712; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
So kids allegedly want an overpriced, overhyped, cheaply-made junk toy that will fail within hours of ownership? How is this different than any other year so far of the consumerism-driven holiday season?
55. ihavenoname (Posts: 1255; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Overpriced= Apple has great brand value and reputation so they CAN sell with high margins.
Overhyped=Every flagship model gets hype and I have to admit that Apple should innovate bit more.
Cheaply made= Making a iPhone costs about the same as any other flagship.
Fail within hours of ownership= Okay that is just bullsh**. Plenty of my
56. ihavenoname (Posts: 1255; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
...friends have iPhone and they have worked just fine many years. (Sorry, pressed button accidentally).
59. Sondae (Posts: 182; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
I sure feel like a kid at heart when i am asking for iphone on my partner lol.
62. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
it is simply because iphones are not for geeks and its whole system is not complex compared to androids and the most disappointing is that features are not worth it for the price and only a fool would be deceived by its decent looks but a wise person knows what a true smartphone is and that is not the iphone