Rumored Motorola tablet could be customized through Moto Maker website
Woodside says that buyers "are happy to have a choice of a product that's built in the US." He also says that customization "is a pretty important part of what we want to do going forward. We think it's a consumer desire that is universal." No time frame was given as to when to expect a customizable slate from the wholly owned Google subsidiary.
Meanwhile, Motorola has been keeping track of Moto X orders through the Moto Maker web site and found that navy blue is the most popular color. And according to Motorola's CEO, "15 percent of people ... are choosing black with an orange accent." Right now, AT&T customers have the exclusive use of the Moto Maker site until November.
This looks like the way Motorola will differentiate itself from other manufacturers of both phones and tablets, by allowing buyers to customize certain aspects of the device, and by selling that "Made in the U.S.A" label.
1. papss (Posts: 2879; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I wonder how they will price it... Currently you pay just as much for a moto x as a of g2 (by right out price)which is just silly.. Moto is completely out of touch.
2. trustory (Posts: 95; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Being assembled in the US is really killing them.
22. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 753; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
They wouldn't be able to have such a quick turn around time for customized phones if it wasn't assembled in the US. They would waste just as much money, if not more, express shipping every phone from China.
3. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Who cares about the price...
Moto can I have the:
OMAP5 Cortex A15 or Tegra4
Adreno 330x8 Mp8 Gpu
Carbon fiber back
12000 mah battery
Thanks in advance
7. papss (Posts: 2879; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Sure...but you are missing the point as usual.
14. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3510; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Nah. I personally think a Motorola new tablet would be like this;
8-10" 1080p or 1600p display
2 GB of RAM
New version of the X8 system, based off of the Snapdragon 800: dual core 2 GHz Krait 400 and Adreno 330 with 2 dedicated cores
Same overall design language as the Moto X, unless they're doing it in collaboration with Verizon, then it will be more similar to the new Droids
That would be great.
17. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Much better tougher than Gorrila glass 3. Even better would be Ceramic or Sapphire. I would pay that extra £70 +for those prestige materials
20. Shatter (Posts: 1747; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Maybe one day manufactorers will wake up and make good quality glass standard instead of the POS gorilla glass.
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5472; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
My guess would be 499$ just like their oldie tablet so i wouldn't bother buying it.
4. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1177; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
So it will have a huge clip on\off plastic on the back and front??? Yuck... Motorola RIP
18. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1177; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Well , look at the "highligt" of their flopship phone,, the interchangable covers,
23. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3510; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
You mean the Moto X? No, the covers can't be changed. Once you order your Moto X on Moto Maker, nothing can be changed about it hardware wise. You can't take the front or back covers off.
8. papss (Posts: 2879; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Oh it certainly won't be cheap.. Moto doesn't know how to price cheap.
9. Pyoung0560 (Posts: 26; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Apple surely does for their plastic phone
11. papss (Posts: 2879; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I agree there too. Over priced is over priced no matter the mfg.
10. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
sweet! i may look into it. i was planning on getting the 2nd Gen Nexus 10 for my 10.1 incher but i already have one Nexus. i could consider something like this. o:
19. jphillips63 (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
After the Xoom fiasco Motorola can shove there tablets where the sun don't shine.
21. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
You're complaining about like one of the few tablets from 2011 that got updated to jelly bean. Im sure it's not that bad come on.
24. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
I loved all my Moto Droids, so I'm really looking forward to this if it is true.
Customization would be awesome too!!!