President Obama says that he can't own an Apple iPhone "for security reasons"
On Wednesday, the president was talking with youngsters at the White House Youth Summit on the Affordable Care Act. During his talk, the president noted that he is not allowed to own an Apple iPhone "for security reasons". The president does have an Apple iPad 2 which was given to him by none other than the late Steve Jobs during a Silicon Valley dinner back in 2011. Obama says that only 10 people have his personal email address. The two presidents prior to Obama, George Bush and Bill Clinton, did not use personal email.
While the iPhone does have clearance for Department of Defense employees and some government agencies, this clearance is well below what a presidential phone needs. A BlackBerry model from 2007 is the only handset owned by the president that has been certified to be used by him.
1. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Obama with no iPhone? Apple just became uncool.
2. Sauce (unregistered)
Why did you change your original comment lol?
5. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Didn't feel like causing a fight with anyone.
25. ihavenoname (Posts: 1605; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
iPhones and Androids are too popular, so some hacker might steal Obamas data. And he doesn't want to get Microd*cked so only choice is BB, which is very basic but secure.
52. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I don't know if you heard, but MS just took measures for WP to be the most private OS on the market.. You'll see..
61. bparkerson (unregistered)
We all have NSA built in...whether you like it or not!
24. Reality_Check (Posts: 277; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Hahahahahahaha.... Man, that level of fanboyism !!
26. ihavenoname (Posts: 1605; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
When Samsungs first iPhone ad came out, neverending war started, and it escalated pretty damn quickly.
40. taikucing (unregistered)
Sorry M$ salesboy, blackberry is the choice for security. You fail. Go home.
50. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Naw,, he probably needs something more future proof.................
41. utg001 (Posts: 31; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Not right now, in future definitely. I think MS might make him a custom model if this news picks up some fire.
49. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
That's right❕.. Love WP.. What do you like❔
57. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
i love nothing more than nokia. but your fanboism is startin to pi** me off. i remember i loved barca until i had enough of their fans trollin everywhere
67. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
yes mr question mark. please dont make me despise my favourite brand. will you ?!
7. Manti (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Nov 2013)
In your feeble little mind.
He sure was damned 'cool' enough to have been resoundingly elected President of the United States... TWICE!
11. Derekjeter (Posts: 609; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
You really think he has done any good. I didn't vote for him but i didn't vote for Romney either. I knew he was going to win. But at least Romney had better plans to reduce debt and help small business and get rid of the UNIONS here in California. I don't want to start a fight but lets be honest the cool thing about this guy is his skin color. If he was white he would have lost.
33. elandrumiii (Posts: 109; Member since: 20 Mar 2010)
He cant do anything when congress blocks and has blocked everything he tries to do. California unions? Dont worry Texas alone has gotten 300,000 plus of your residents/evacuees so you wont have unions at that rate.
Romney had better plans. Sounded like the same old stuff gett rid of everything so business can keep on bending us over with no lube. If people have no jobs they dont spend business gets no money. Guess thats to obvious to be understood.
34. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
those evil businesses are the ones who provide the jobs dont forget...
why dont we have all of big business shut down and we will see how well that turns out
there are plenty of jobs... just there are not enough people qualified to take them, and on the other end of the spectrum there are plenty of jobs but people think they are entitled to sit on their couch and get the obamaphones and handouts in the mail
romney, obama, whoever, punishing business is not the answer
54. tedkord (Posts: 7364; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I have to disagree. If Obama were white, he'd have won a landslide. I work in a union job, where most folks vote Democrat, and all I heard during the first election was that they were voting for McCain because, "you don't want one of them in the White House."
Don't get me wrong, I heard the same thing from folks who identified themselves as Republicans.
I also never voted for Obama, but I didn't vote McCain or Romney either. On principle, I always vote for the Libertarian candidate.
29. DWillyEfect (Posts: 52; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
He is the product of black nationalism and white guilt.
32. elandrumiii (Posts: 109; Member since: 20 Mar 2010)
Black nationalism? How about the Hispanic and female vote.
43. darkkjedii (Posts: 15639; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well said, let the haters hate. +1 he's a damn good Prez.
55. tedkord (Posts: 7364; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I'd rate him as average. He's certainly not the worst recent president by a long shot, but nowhere near the best.
58. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
The unemployment rate is at 12.6 percent for African Americans, which is a 5 years low. But that's the same as it was under George W. Bush when Obama took office. And it is back to being twice as high as whites which was a trend that ended under George W. Bush.
So what has he done that qualifies him as a "damn good Prez" in your mind?
14. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Watch out, darkkjedi will kill you when he hears about this. ;)
21. Derekjeter (Posts: 609; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
LOL!!! Why i didn't say anything that we didn't know already. Besides if people see this as a racist comment then those are the people who think that Obama is cool and has actually helped the country.
44. darkkjedii (Posts: 15639; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I don't see it as racist, I see as not everyone like every Prez. Woodshop is trying to make it racial, by calling out me as the "token black" South Park pun not intended, to rush to defend the black Prez. Personally I like Obama, I think he's doing as good a job as possible. He cannot satisfy everyone...nice try woodshop to start trouble, but you failed. Go to your room, and play with your life...I mean your phone.
60. darkkjedii (Posts: 15639; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
DJ what do you think about Jacoby Elsbury coming to the Bronx?
63. Derekjeter (Posts: 609; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
I dont like it the idea. He has never played an entire season. I think the most he has everplayed is 140 games if that. But its the yankees being the dark empire. They are not done by the way we are getting 2 more free agents and skipping on Cano.
59. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Obama is like every other brotha' who thinks he's hip, personally, I think he's a cheap George Jefferson knock-off married to Helen Willis (not Weesie'); they both need a good Florence to set them straight. On the matter of his phone choice, he uses a BlackBerry because he can't figure out how to sync an iPhone with iTunes on his desktop without the whole damn thing crashing due to heavy traffic (one person).
As good ole George used to say, "let the doorknob hit you where the good Lord split you!" [Mr. Bam'Bam]
28. sarge77 (Posts: 202; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
lol that ok abama I dont use iphone either nir will i use bacl berry usless it pops out a quad core before feburary of next year but good thing for bb are the app usually can be ported over.
30. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
No more iPhone for the US miltary now either. They have just shelfed all their iPhones, iPads, and androids and now handing out BB 9930's until they test out another MDM software to see if that works out after just rejecting Good Technology .
3. Derekjeter (Posts: 609; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Our company is actually removing iPhones for the Note 3 with KNOX. Our CEO had an iphone and it was hacked, she had employees socials and other personal info. President Obama helped Apple for being an american company. Thats my opinion.
6. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
And its hardly even a american company at that.
13. suneeboy (Posts: 201; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
You must work for a start up. Not trolling you, but just saying - the political hurdles corporations have to go through for devices is insane. It can't be as simple as preference.
45. PBXtech (Posts: 1027; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Not every company has the same security levels. It doesn't have to be a start up to be able to be hacked.
66. Derekjeter (Posts: 609; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
We have great security. The fact that her phone was hacked was just 25% percent of the reason we are moving to other phones. We have had the iphone 4 for the past 2 years. Its time to upgrade our management lines. I beleive it was money, the biggest reason why this is all happening. Dont get me wrong we still have the iphone as a choice for an upgrade but were being directed to Samsung phones. I sold my iphone 5 and bought a LG g2 and i did an early upgrade to the HTC one for my work line. I love my phones. I honestly did not think I could live with out my iphone. Now i dont think i would ever go back. I do think about leaving one of my androids for the new Lumia 929.
64. Derekjeter (Posts: 609; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
We are definitely not a start up. We are the 2nd largest 3PL company in the world. We are the number 1 targeted company by the Union. Thats why i had the comment above. UNION promotes laziness. Just look at UPS.
53. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Your boss should really check out the WSJ (or BGR) article. Samsung is really having a hard time maturing their KNOX MDM and security. Your boss is brave for riding it through with them.
56. tedkord (Posts: 7364; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Didn't the article state that they were just not swaying many companies to KNOX, not that it wasn't an effective measure? I could be wrong, I just skimmed it.
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9848; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Ironic he won't use a phone he saved with a veto.
17. suneeboy (Posts: 201; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
No its not at all ironic. Its not for personal use. Androids, Windows Phones, or anything other than a Blackberry from 2007 can be used. Where is the irony?
9. spectrums (Posts: 127; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)
everybody know apple is not secure, he is only toys :lol:
15. suneeboy (Posts: 201; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
Nothing is secure enough for the President. Didn't you read that he is using a Blackberry from 2007?
18. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
They should follow China then and develop a unique version of Linux then.
10. E.S.1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
It makes a perfect sense.. it's not a business phone at all.
12. Tech_Junkie1996 (Posts: 43; Member since: 29 Aug 2013)
You're the only person to make a non-opinionated comment so far. I commend you for being objective.
27. realtrevor (Posts: 14; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Yes an iPhone is not a business phone but a personal toy.