Nokia Lumia 820 polycarbonate shells detailed: glossy, matte, wireless and rugged
First, let’s mention that the Lumia 820 uses PC/ABS, a polycarbonate blend that makes it easier to slip the case in and out, while keeping your phone protected. The color is inherent to the material which means that if you scratch your phone the mark that’s left will be much harder to notice. The color also stays longer.
Now, the Nokia Lumia 820 comes with one shell in the box and you can choose additional ones from the following options:
- High gloss red, yellow, cyan, purple, and white
- Matte grey and black.
None of those would allow you to wirelessly charge your phone, though. For that, there are separate Wireless Charging shells that come in five matte colours: white, yellow, black, red and cyan. With one of those shells on, you have to purchase a wireless charging pad like the Nokia Plate, Stand, the Fatboy Recharge Pillow or the JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker to wireless juice up your device.
Finally, the Lumia 820 could be outfitted in a ruggedized shell that’s only a bit thicker than the rest. It’s also PC/ABS but with a rubber-like finish and comes just slightly up front to protect the edges of the phone, which are the most damage-prone part.
All of those shells will be available at the time of the Lumia 820 launch. Which one would you get?
source: Nokia Conversations
More popular slideshows
Nokia Lumia 820 shells
1. iced_heroine (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
nice.. i love how the ruggedized shell give more design to the phone...
18. sadaivadai (Posts: 156; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
My only worry is it doesn't have a corning gorilla glass ...
24. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
What makes you say that, all the lumias have it? (dunno about the 610)
28. sadaivadai (Posts: 156; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Yeah .. Even the Nokia 710 has it .. Oh even Asha 311 has it .. But nowhere it is mentioned that Lumia 820 has corning gorilla glass .. Even in the Corning gorilla glass product list Lumia 820 is not there ..
27. pongkie (Posts: 494; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
hmmm there is no mention on thier website but the L800 had a corning and would be such a pity if L820 doesn't
29. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
I sure am hoping it will, is there even an alternative?? but tbh the gorilla glass on my 710 scratched a lot easier than on my optimus 7, so not all gorillas are equal...
2. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Ohhhhhhh man. This is very tempting to switch to from Android.
I still love that cyan one that wirelessly charges.
11. jeff1434325 (Posts: 88; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
well, the samsung Ativ S is already a very sexy windows phone.(in my opinion)
13. iced_heroine (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
lol... so u want sammy to COPY this? hahaha.. funny
12. smartphone (Posts: 160; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
The cyan matte wireless charger cover is best for me,
Even though I want the L 920 I know it will be expensive so looking for L820 more seriously.
3. astronot (Posts: 17; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Finally. No need to get clumsy, bulky and ugly covers of third parties to protect ur phone. Good thinking here.
14. lubba (Posts: 1310; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Don't get me wrong. Read the specs on this device. Substitute pureview, puremotion plus HD+, low grade screen, for clowning around with back plate. Not interested. If you love it, go ahead buy it. Don't complain later on "man for $50 more could have bought the L920! Instead wasted $50 on back plate covers!".
17. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
in usa, people will probably but this phone on contract, but what about off contract & in countries that don't use contract system. $400 - $500 off contract & this phone will be amazingly one of the best bang for the bucks
9. eisenbricher (Posts: 970; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Can't wait for the 820!!! I'm definitely buying the Red one with that sexy looking rugged shell!!!
10. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Nokia putting their old success from interchangeable covers to hi-end units = I love it. :)
15. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1301; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Brings a tear of joy when i see Nokias removeable covers
16. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
i think with the right price & right ecosystem development, this phone will be one of the best sellers. not all people need the high resolution screen with all too many features. wp8 brings somewhat a good looking OS with pretty damn good hardware
19. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
definitely the cyan one, cyan became the most famous color of the new nokia phones, and is the most beautiful
21. sadaivadai (Posts: 156; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
You can if you are always half-naked at the bottom .. :P
22. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
they are all beautiful! i love nokia!!
i wonder if nokia patent this... coz the look of the iPod touch really looks like a lumia 820!
23. mrllano (Posts: 87; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
if the value is right, why not give it a try
25. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Im currently sporting a black/cyan lumia 710 so the same combo for me thank you :)
26. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1026; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Folks I believe the Lumia 820 does come with gorilla glass but I have always been an advocate that a 1.5 millimeter rim should be around all smart phones screens so that if a person drops the smart on a hard surface the rim that is above and around the touch screen absorbs the impact and shock first. the smart phone with the protective screen rim may not look as cool a smooth surface smart phone but I will take protection over beauty any day. I am looking to buy the Verizon version of the Nokia lumia 820 called
the Nokia lumia 822. it's back camera is different than the Nokia 820 hopefully since it's number is higher than the Nokia Lumia 820 it will have some features the Nokia Lumia 820 does not have. Verizon needs some good windows smart phones they now only sell one Model.
30. Auggie69 (Posts: 10; Member since: 11 Jul 2011)
I have the 820 for a little over a week and I already have damage to the screen and I never put it in my pocket with change or keys but its still scratched..... ;-( still love the phone