HTC First "Facebook" phone hands-on
The HTC First is built with typical HTC quality, that is to say it is very good. No specifications were revealed during the presentation. However, the specification are available on the web. There are not any surprises in the hardware as the HTC First is definitely a mid-range piece of hardware. The HTC First features a 1280x720 4.3-inch display and the well rounded edges make the device fit very nicely in the hand. Shape-wise, it is similar to the first generation iPhone.
In the engine room is a dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.4GHz processor. Dishing out the power is a 2,000mAh battery. The main camera is a 5MP unit with LED flash. There is 1GB of RAM and 16GB of storage and there is no microSD storage available. Under the baked-in Facebook Home experience is stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. While the display is 720p, the images and colors on the HTC First are clear and vivid. The front facing camera is 1.6MP.
For Instagram fans, the app is also built in. While Facebook Home is the top layer, the rest of the Google and Android ecosystem works with not issues. Notifications appear as horizontally oriented cards which can be swiped away in a similar fashion to webOS notifications of yore.
Specification-wise, the HTC First is not cutting edge, but for its social-centric mission it does not need to be. The Facebook Home experience is very fluid and there were no signs of any stuttering or lag. At $99.99 on AT&T, this mid-range device is within reach of people that are social butterflies and love Facebook.
HTC First Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
03 Dec 2013, 05:54
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
1. Phone and App
3. Power/Lock and headset jack
2. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Holy s**t... It runs stock android....
If i didn't have a phone at this moment, I could possibly get this and just install Apex Launcher!
22. snowgator (Posts: 3015; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Excellent point. Love me some stock Android....
4. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Is it me or does the phone look like a one v?
5. Bleak3993 (Posts: 4; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Just install another launcher and voilà!, the phone looks great and it has a pretty good hardware under the hood, plus it runs stock android!
8. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
the desgin is great by HTC good qulaity but i don't like facebook so no thanks
9. bluescreen (Posts: 138; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
i wounder if this phone is going to archive all your texts and phone calls and pictures u take like facebook does with everything u do on ur facebook account?
11. ImHungry (Posts: 17; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
In one of the pictures it says turn off facebook home. so does that mean you can run stock android on this? for some reason i just really like this phone. the design is nice
12. at0mNom (Posts: 8; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
Seriously Phone Arena? Can you make that friggin water mark any bigger???
13. tampaflusa (Posts: 6; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
"Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take any hands-on video of the new HTC One, in fact, even handling the device was fairly limited..."
I think they ment to say HTC First not "ONE" even though I understand with the confusing brand naming.
15. som (Posts: 767; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
HTC is wasting money on a Facebook phone, nobody just buy a phone for Facebook access only and low specs. People can get access to Facebook on any phones and pc. Why HTC First Facebook phone? Keep trying HTC will go bankrupt in a year
29. voxmarc (Posts: 296; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
it run on stock android and the facebook is just an overlay
17. MyLife0nline (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
I would take a Google Plus phone over this any day...
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5170; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
PIECES OF CRAP FACEBOOK PHONE. and who needs it anyway
21. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
if you take away the facebook part, its just stock android, and everyone needs stock android
24. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3724; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
This is for the poor people with social life.....
31. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3724; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Hmm.....I'm not rich. What makes you think like that? xD
36. thunderising (Posts: 225; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
Can't believe we're talking to xperiaDROID, with a DP of LG lol!
37. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3724; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh come on, now I need to change the profile picture again!
20. sleepyjohnny (Posts: 151; Member since: 16 Dec 2009)
This design is very reminiscent of the original iPhones' design. It's just slimmer and make of different materials. (And of course with flash)
23. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 144; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Now waiting for an InstagramPhone and NetflixPhone.
34. taikucing (Posts: 576; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
In the future, people will bring 4 phones in their pockets lol.
35. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3724; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oooo......a blue jeans with a huge sinkhole pocket! lol xD
26. Taters (Posts: 1757; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
One step closer to the most fitting name for an HTC phone. Just take out the "irst".
ladies and gentleman. Introducing the HTC F! F for fail. The HTC Fail.
27. Furbal (Posts: 91; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Hopefully they sell an unlocked near the lumia 620 price point...it'll do well there for an intro to android phone
30. samsproul (Posts: 2; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
is the name "First" trying to be like the Youtube comment meme?
33. nadiatorn (banned) (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
I really like with the automatic wallpaper feature on Facebook Home UI. It looks really attractive!! But hopefully, Facebook can bring back the Android traditional homescreen UI in the future.
38. alikhan1 (Posts: 7; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
$99.99...............are u kiddin me.........!~!