Galaxy S5 to be waterproof, claims Korean media, and sport UV coating over the fingerprint sensor
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5807; Member since: 14 May 2012)
And have bezels the size of a runway for a jet the same way the Z1 and One have? No thanks.
5. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1123; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
If samsung keep using flimsy and thin plastic + nano coating I think they will be able to make the bezels smaller than Z1 or One.
But if the S5 using more thicker and sturdier frame and back cover (like Nokia or Sony phones) with large image sensor + OIS and stereo speakers (like One) it will be bigger and thicker than "normal" phones.
6. tech2 (Posts: 1116; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Galaxy S4 Active disagrees. It has physical keys, smaller bezels, same display size yet smaller overall phone footprint. All that and a waterproof phone.
BTW, I would easily chose a 'flimsy' plastic phone than a tempered glass if they both do the same job in protecting me against water and falls and offer a me removable back cover.
8. kobainez (Posts: 291; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Galaxy s4 active is ip57 and xperia Z1 is ip58 with bigger battery and bigger camera sensor thats y its smaller than z1 so nothing to moan abt here. Xperia Z is ip57 and it's smaller than galaxy s4 active that is also ip57
12. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1123; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Yeah it seems many samsung fans never realize that the reason Z1 has large bezels is big image sensor, battery and IP certification.
And when it comes to bezels you can't find any samsung waterproof phones with smaller bezels than Xperia UL.
From what i know the only way you can make thin and bezelles waterproof phone is by using small and less durable components + nano coating.
20. tech2 (Posts: 1116; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
So, by your logic, why does Xperia Z have smaller battery than S4 Active ?
11. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1123; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Z1 has bigger image sensor, battery and thicker aluminum frame but in the same time Z1 also thinner than S4 Active.
Z has smaller bezel than S4 active, and if i'm not mistaken there is a problem with S4 Active flimsy back cover.
Waterproof phone will always be bigger or thicker than "normal" phone thats why bezelles sharp mini phone has thick body.
19. Shatter (Posts: 1747; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Doubt the back will be removeable if its waterproof unless they make a special locking mechanism to seal the devicem
15. techaman (Posts: 342; Member since: 03 Jul 2011)
samsung likes phone back to come off for sim batt micro duel sim and other things so i thing we will see uni-body aluminum with the plastic like back but unless you use sapphire for your screen you need bezel, if someone was to use an all front sapphire screen you would need little to no bezel and it would not brake when hitting the ground
10. kobainez (Posts: 291; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Why dont u mentioned iphone 5s while u're at it
25. fireblade (Posts: 282; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
what's wrong with Z1 bezels? It looks normal. It's weird to have small bezels
2. MrWilli5 (Posts: 63; Member since: 13 Feb 2011)
really hope samsung does come out with one version of the s5 and make it rustproof and waterproof, that would be a REAL flagship phone instead of having different variants of the same device. can't wait for MWC!
3. X.E.R.O. (unregistered)
Ooo, Sony better look out.
9. kobainez (Posts: 291; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I think SONY is a threat to samsung thats y they will release waterproof version of s5. Samsung better watch out
17. techaman (Posts: 342; Member since: 03 Jul 2011)
sony cant hold against samsung because the market hold is so big when it comes to samsung how many sony phones can you get in american stores. also all you need is to put life proof case or use nano water repellent and no water problems, people using water proof phones under water are only trying to see one thing and we all know what that is
24. Väliaikainen (Posts: 24; Member since: 18 Feb 2014)
Do you know how huge and ugly thos "life proof cases" are?
21. MrTzr (Posts: 57; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
If this is true then I will switch back to Samsung I think..
4. XaErO (Posts: 99; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
This is a good news ..
I guess, People would love to have all-in-one flagship phones being dust-resistant, water resistant etc.
7. androiphone20 (Posts: 942; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
What we have here is S-touch ID, and it's water and dust resistant like the uhm...yea, it's a cool feature.
14. twens (Posts: 417; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Stupid features. Just give me a slim bezel high resolution screen with modern processor and graphic units. Don't forget good battery life. I don't use my phones near water. Btw, pattern unlock is enough for me finger print can kiss my ass.
23. buccob (Posts: 964; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Besides screen shattering... water damage is the other reason most phones break...
In my opinion, the Anti Shatter Film placed in Sony phones + IP5X certification is the best way to receive an "insurance" in advance...
18. techaman (Posts: 342; Member since: 03 Jul 2011)
what we need is samsung to put a small not to bright led on front of phone for eye and face recognition other wise you cant use eye or face tracking or recognition at night or in dark place. both finger scan and retinal scan would be best summer with glasses on use finger fall and winter use eye because gloves are on.