First Xiaomi Mi 5 camera samples are out
1. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Amazing phone. I'm almost tempted to buy it. But I must control myself. Maybe mi6 will be my next phone ( if they add a QHD display, or at least 1080p AMOLED).
Regarding camera, it's the same imx298 used in mate 8, so should be okay. Mate 8 was definitely lacking compared to nexus 6p though so I don't expect much.
6. Kumar123 (Posts: 500; Member since: 15 Jan 2015)
Yup. 100% agree. RGB is better than pentile. RGB 1080p is more than enough. Plus with 1080p it will give even better performance. So overall its a win-win situaltion. I praise Xiaomi for keeping it FHD. This phone will be performance champion in the andorid world.
8. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Lol no. Do you even do maths? Even if you compare subpixels, pentile QHD has a lot more of them.
And pentile looks almost as good as ROB on a diamond layout. Let me show you using maths. The distortion caused on pentile is due to pixel sharing. On a diamond matrix, that distortion would be 1/sqrt (2) times the size of the pixel, since you need to borrow from there. Given that the screen has 579 PPI, to notice that distortion, you'll need eyes capable enough to notice objects of the order of 579*1.414= 818 PPI. And I sure as hell can bet that nobody can see that.
So pentile at high enough resolution is basically as good as RGB. And if you have eyes that good to distinguish objects 1/818th of an inch, you shouldn't buy a 1080p screen anyway.
21. Macready (Posts: 843; Member since: 08 Dec 2014)
And the Pentile layout takes advantage of the fact that we're much more sensitive to green, when it comes to resolution, hence why the perceived difference between Pentile and regular RGB is nowhere near the difference in total subpixel count.
4. quangteo (Posts: 2; Member since: 26 Oct 2015)
1080p is enough with ips lcd display, it should be 2k with Amoled
9. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Being a owner of a g2, I disagree. It should be 2k on both. 1080p sure looks good on RGB screens, better than Pentile. But it still isn't on par with QHD ( pentile or not).
25. ibend (Posts: 3539; Member since: 30 Sep 2014)
1080p is fine for 5.1inch, 2k is a must 5.5inch (or bigger)
(and personally, I prefer super AMOLED)
5. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3607; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Are the images cropped??? Or down-scaled??
7. tech2 (Posts: 3351; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yep. It's clearly mentioned in the penultimate para of the article.
11. Bm888 (Posts: 390; Member since: 06 Jul 2015)
well , for those phablet diehards this is the phone to get considering the price as they wait for the notes' , V10s', surface phone' or whichever the best of 2016
12. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
This isn't a phablet. Only 5.15" screen with slim bezels. That's what I love about this phone.
14. Bm888 (Posts: 390; Member since: 06 Jul 2015)
exactly what I mean. .you get this phone as phablet lovers wait for their phablets in 2nd half of year..rather than doing same oem like s7 and note 6 ..and the price for this beast is tempting
15. pmsap (Posts: 78; Member since: 26 May 2015)
Unless you live in China, we still don't know the price.
26. ibend (Posts: 3539; Member since: 30 Sep 2014)
cheapest version is around $300..
of course that price is only for (less than 10 second) flash sale, and only for china..
hopefully it will available worldwide for $400
27. zeeBomb (Posts: 1786; Member since: 14 Aug 2014)
Is ois wooo can go on a rave and not worry
30. Prizm (Posts: 9; Member since: 21 Feb 2016)
Interestingly, the Mate 8 camera's highest res is 16mp at 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9. The Samsung S7 also appears to be 4:3, although at 12mp.
18. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
Omg with sapphire lens. Why the hell didn't they make the entire rear back all sapphire. Awesome.
20. S.R.K. (banned) (Posts: 678; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
If only it came with CarlZeiss optics lens. Xenon flash.
10. yogeeg (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 Feb 2016)
Never use this brand but i've got a good feeling about this brand in near future. This is a good one. *As long as the price is worth it though
16. blehkwide (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 Feb 2016)
I'm tempted to get this phone. love the 4 axis stabilizer. I've been pampered with a 5 axis for awhile now. Life changing.
17. Macready (Posts: 843; Member since: 08 Dec 2014)
Asside from pixel size discussions, based on sensor size and aperture alone, the S7 camera module lets in about 90% (>130% difference per pixel) more light in low light, ceteris paribus. That's almost the difference between a FF and APS-C camera. Let's see if the Xiaomi camera can make up elsewhere, like through better stabilization (which doesn't help with moving subjects though) maybe. Or maybe not.
22. msaeed90 (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 Aug 2014)
I am skeptical that the camera will outperform the S6s camera, let alone S7.
In theory even S6 camera is better than this with wider aperture f1.9 vs f2.0 and larger sensor 1/2.6" vs 1/2.8"
S7 having f1.7 aperture far outperforms this as decreasing f number has exponential effect on aperture size .
But for the price that it has with similar priced Galaxy A3 2016 this thing is a beast . Except for those who use their phones for photography and the money should go for S7
24. jauling (Posts: 44; Member since: 13 Feb 2015)
I agree. When the S7 came out, I was almost certain I was going to buy it, due mostly to its camera. Now I'm not so sure, the cheapass in me is taking over LOL.
I definitely would like to see some photo comparisions between the Mi5 and S6/S7!
23. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1371; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Mediocre camera with amazing OIS, still mediocre camera. Ok for the price I guess
28. MrElectrifyer (limited) (Posts: 2192; Member since: 21 Oct 2014)
I'd love to see a camera shootout between the Mi5 and the S6/S7 and the iphobe.
29. Prizm (Posts: 9; Member since: 21 Feb 2016)
I'll probably go with the S7 because of the camera, but as others say, the Mi5 is tempting (I could probably buy three Mi5's for the cost of an S7 Edge).
I don't get why Xiaomi posted such useless images though. They're not the original res, they're cropped, they've been resaved and recompressed. These images could be from any phone in the last 10 years, so what's the point? All this does is make their camera look worse.