@barbs_paul Sorry for the delay in replying Paul. There's no plans for Lollipop for the S4 mini due to memory limitation. >DD— ThreeUKSupport (@ThreeUKSupport) April 24, 2015
Android Lollipop won't be coming to Samsung Galaxy S4 mini units due to memory limitations
1. lbblock (Posts: 16; Member since: 20 Apr 2015)
I've been looking at the S4 mini as a music-player-slash-sub-phone because it's one of the lightest android phones around, and this is great news because I plan to avoid lollipop for at least all of 2015. It has no benefit to me and I'm sick of google's endless one-sided interface changes.
If I get something newer, say the galaxy A3, I'd still root immediately and disable all software updates anyway.
13. elitewolverine (Posts: 5119; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
might as well just get a 40 dollar sd card phone if its a sub phone with music.
26. neela_akaash (Posts: 1118; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
That's the difference between a MINI and a COMPACT phone.
32. elitewolverine (Posts: 5119; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
4-4.5in is now compact? Is 5in the new mini? Considering the s4 mini is a 4.2in display a 40 buck 4in phone that can handle 128gb would by my phone of choice for a music player sub phone but that is just me
36. lbblock (Posts: 16; Member since: 20 Apr 2015)
Well, you clearly don't account for my tastes and preferences. :P
2. GeorgeDao123 (Posts: 423; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
So there will be no L for S5 Mini, either. S5 Mini also sports 1.5GB of RAM only.
3. UglyFrank (Posts: 1606; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
How can they explain that one?
That would mean the S5 mini with similar hardware bar the higher res screen would either receive preferential treatment or the S5 mini receives no updates at all.
4. Scott93274 (Posts: 4278; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
lol, I think my brother actually has this phone. It's his very first smart phone and he got it about a month or two ago. I laughed when I first saw it, but he loves the compact size and doesn't really use it for much as of right now.
5. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4813; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Dude My brother as well got this phone. He got it last year, it's his first ever smartphone. He came from a flip phone so he likes small. He loves it.
9. NopeNein (Posts: 147; Member since: 04 Feb 2015)
Oh, go get a room you two.
Don't get mad at me please :D
11. Scott93274 (Posts: 4278; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
Wait.... what? Do you have the Galaxy S4 Mini or something? If so, then how could we not be mad at you!!!!
15. jove39 (Posts: 1827; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Next time suggest him to get something like z3c from sony...compact and very powerful with likely better support than samsung.
16. Scott93274 (Posts: 4278; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
Will do. I don't really follow phones with the features he's looking for so I feel ill equipped to make good recommendations.
33. buccob (Posts: 2522; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
The Z1c is still relevant today and recently received android L
7. donrox (Posts: 136; Member since: 18 Jul 2014)
well there is no memory limitation on my Xperia T2 Ultra :)
10. bursahandphonesamsung (Posts: 16; Member since: 13 Jan 2015)
so sad for s4 mini user...
12. wargreymon (Posts: 678; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
But there are lots of 0.5GB ram phones with lollipop....
14. wildfiregt (Posts: 167; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
the phone is 2 year old, they used this as pretext for not updating it.
The s5 mini has 1.5GB or ram aswell and will be updated ,see ?
25. wildfiregt (Posts: 167; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Can you say why or what does it make "bloated" ?
Be sure it is not that because many other touchwiz phones with same ammount of RAM works fine.
This is just a myth, you can check phone's running application to see how much ram is free
34. buccob (Posts: 2522; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Touchwiz update to Lollipop takes over 1GB of space... While Sony 's update takes a little over 600MB.
In all fairness, TW includes many more features... But I still find Xperia to be simpler, and practical
17. Planterz (Posts: 2038; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
This is one of beefs with Samsung (although plenty of other OEMs are guilty as well). They make great flagships, and they even make great mid and low end devices. But never expect an update between major Android versions unless it's a flagship, and not forever on those.
Samsung wouldn't update the S3 to LP, claiming some similar BS. Truth is they want you to buy flagships, and they want you to buy one at least every 2 years. If you want Lollipop, you've gotta ditch your S3 for an S5 or S6. Or ditch your year-old low/mid range phone for a new one that ships with LP.
I prefer stock(ish) Android anyway, which is why I'm only interested in devices like Nexuses or ones that follow that level of openness, like the OnePlus or Saygus.
18. raptor102888 (Posts: 18; Member since: 19 Sep 2014)
Meanwhile my S4 Mini is running Lollipop in the form of CM12 flawlessly. Better than it ever ran Jellybean or Kitkat.
20. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I bet it's not memory limitation's fault.
Why the heck Galaxy A3 suddenly got Lollipop then?
It has 1 / 1.5GB of RAM, but suddenly it is capable of newer version of Android and TouchWiz.
Either it is the dated chipset's fault or Samsung is probably just going lazy.
I'd bet on number two.
22. Predator1701 (Posts: 108; Member since: 28 Oct 2014)
Totall BS, motorola moto g 2013 got lollipop, and as far as i know android is getting "lighter" then before. OOhhh well we can blame TW again. And by the way my Nexus 4 just got official 5.1! I love my phone, i bought it in early 2013 and never looked back.
23. MDave (Posts: 115; Member since: 09 Apr 2015)
What about my Tab Pro, Samsung? Is that hardware limited too?
24. Elfmonster (Posts: 428; Member since: 23 Dec 2013)
A. Good. Lollipop is an android killer right now on 3 of my devices.
B. My Nexus 7 2012 was lollipopped into irrelevance sadly so yes old specs can't run this garbage lollipop well. Kitkat running developer option Android Runtime was the best. Hopefully now that Android has gone full Android Runtime, their developers or engineers or whatever will start fixing all the flats. Because, suck.
27. mmdkhdm (Posts: 15; Member since: 23 Apr 2015)
That's why I don't want to go ever buy Android phones again...
They don't support their phone not for even 2 years !! :|
31. mixedfish (Posts: 1154; Member since: 17 Nov 2013)
And if you don't get Lollipop, does your phone spontaneously combust? Does app support suddenly stop? On day you're happy with Kit Kat, and the next you're not because of some vanity called Lollipop?
Sheesh, tough crowd.
28. WAusJackBauer (Posts: 205; Member since: 22 Mar 2015)
Memory limitation? They must mean the actual flash memory available (which is 5GB apparently) because it's got 1.5GB of RAM and other devices with 1GB of RAM have lollipop.
29. vinuv64 (Posts: 1; Member since: 24 Apr 2015)
Guys, this is one of the lamest excuse i have ever seen. I have moved on from their pathetic TouchWiz ROM more than a year ago. Custom ROMs work like super fast and smooth on the s4 mini. I have been using an s4 mini duos all this while, and i have tried both pure Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android 5.0 Lollipop...no memory issues as such.....Cyanogenmod 11 and CM12, both works super great....i would suggest all s4 mini users to visit XDA Forums and learn how to root and flash......the level of performance, flexibilty, customization and fluidity i have enjoyed with custom ROMs is great.....
I mean the videos of s4 mini running custom ROMs are all over the internet and Youtube, billions of users have been using them for long, so you don't need to worry about the device getting spoiled and stuff...u just need a nack, or just learn to root and stuff...
30. steven9761 (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Apr 2015)
Can somebody kindly explain to me why the S4 Mini will get the lollipop update in Ireland, but not elsewhere, due to "memory limitations"? In lieu of not getting this update, will Samsung re-brand this phone?.. I can offer a great suggestion for the rebranded S4 Mini... They should sell it as the Samsung Alzheimer's Mini, but it can only be sold to people whose surname is Parkinson!!
35. Sondae (Posts: 278; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
Samsung is just making excuses due to lack of memory. Others can update into lollipop even in 1gig of ram. S4 mini isnt a there high end phone and it doesnt sell well thats why they didnt update it.
37. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Samsung mid and entry devices have always been a weak joke, so this has zero shock value.
Too bad their flagships are trash now, too. Used to be something special, but now they wanna be Apple again...
38. nodes (Posts: 681; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
so Lollipop is not more memory efficient than Kitkat or what?