Those with the Apple iPhone 6 and Apple iPhone 6 Plus are using their iPads less

Those with the Apple iPhone 6 and Apple iPhone 6 Plus are using their iPads less
Pocket is an app that stores content from your phone, so that you can read it later on. Looking at more than 2 million articles and videos, Pocket examined the before and after data from those who upgraded from the Apple iPhone 5s and Apple iPhone 5 to the Apple iPhone 6 and Apple iPhone 6 Plus. What Pocket found was an interesting look at how the larger iPhone screens impacted iPhone and iPad users.

Back in the day when the 4-inch Apple iPhone 5s and Apple iPhone 5 ruled the iOS ecosystem, those with one of those two phones and an iPad, used their phone 55% of the time when viewing content. The iPad was used 45% of the time. But once the new larger-screened iPhones were launched this year, the iPads were put away. Those with the Apple iPhone 6 viewed content on their handset 72% of the time, using the tablet for the remaining 28%. The disparity was even greater with the Apple iPhone 6 Plus. Those sporting Apple's first phablet used it for content 80% of the time, relying on the iPad only 20% of the time.

Smartphone users with a larger screened phone will watch more content overall. According to Pocket, those who upgraded to the 4.7-inch Apple iPhone 6 opened up 33% more content from their Pocket account, compared to when they used the 4-inch Apple iPhone 5/5s. Those with the 5.5-inch Apple iPhone 6 Plus, opened up 65% more content from their Pocket account compared to when they used the iPhone 5/5s.

Pocket discovered that those with the iPhone 6 read on their tablet 19% less on weekdays, and 27% less on weekends. Those with the iPhone 6 Plus are reading on their iPad 31% less on weekdays and 36% on weekends. And if you see someone toting the iPhone 6 Plus, it apparently means that they love to watch video on their phone. Those with Apple's first phablet opened up 16% more video than those with an iPhone 6, and 40% more than those with an iPhone 5 or iPhone 5s.

The stats show why Apple has seen a decline in iPad sales, and why tablets as a whole, have been losing momentum. Larger screened smartphones in general, have been encroaching on the size of tablet screens.


source: Pocket via TechCrunch

Related phones

iPhone 6
  • Display 4.7 inches
    1334 x 750 pixels
  • Camera 8 MP (Single camera)
    1.2 MP front
  • Hardware Apple A8
    1GB RAM
  • Storage 128GB, not expandable
  • Battery 1810 mAh
  • OS iOS 12.x
iPhone 6 Plus
  • Display 5.5 inches
    1920 x 1080 pixels
  • Camera 8 MP (Single camera)
    1.2 MP front
  • Hardware Apple A8
    1GB RAM
  • Storage 128GB, not expandable
  • Battery 2915 mAh
  • OS iOS 12.x
iPhone 5
  • Display 4.0 inches
    1136 x 640 pixels
  • Camera 8 MP (Single camera)
    1.2 MP front
  • Hardware Apple A6
    1GB RAM
  • Storage 64GB, not expandable
  • Battery 1440 mAh
  • OS iOS 10.x
iPhone 5s
  • Display 4.0 inches
    1136 x 640 pixels
  • Camera 8 MP (Single camera)
    1.2 MP front
  • Hardware Apple A7
    1GB RAM
  • Storage 64GB, not expandable
  • Battery 1570 mAh
  • OS iOS 12.x

FEATURED VIDEO

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.
FCC OKs Cingular's purchase of AT&T Wireless