The next sweet treat: new Android version to be 5.0, Lollipop name confirmed
Google continues on its tradition of naming Android versions with consecutive letters of the alphabet, and Lollipop comes after the following releases:
Get ready for Android 5.0 LollipopAndroid 4.4 Kitkat
- Android 4.1-4.3 Jelly Bean
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Android 2.2 Froyo
- Android 2.0-2.1 Eclair
- Android 1.6 Doughnut
- Android 1.5 Cupcake
Of course, neither the version number, nor the name come as a huge surprise, but having the confirmation from a source with fairly spotless reputation (the same source had big scoops that turned out true about the LG G3 among others) is definitely appreciated. As reputable as we think this rumor is, we'd still advice you to take with a healthy grain of salt, as last-minute changes are always possible.
The new Android version will be unveiled at Google I/O today - stay tuned, as the event kicks off at 9am PT | 12pm ET today and you can watch the 2014 I/O livestream here.
source: Nixanbal (translated)
1. kkmkk (Posts: 93; Member since: 06 May 2013)
2. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1372; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
She lick me like a llllaa lollipop ////
10. protozeloz (Posts: 5379; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I was Gonna come here to post this same thing
15. Sniggly (Posts: 7177; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Come on, no one's referencing "Lollipop" by the Chordettes?
19. Victor.H (Posts: 450; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Haha that is hilarious! This could easily be the theme song for the new Android, kudos for the great reference, Sniggly!
34. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4335; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Sniggly long time no speak... I was thinking the same thing...
+1 to you!!!
Great song by the way!!!
37. Sniggly (Posts: 7177; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Hey man, thanks! Hope you've been doing well!
39. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4335; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I am doing very well. I hope you are as well.
It's funny, when I heard the rumors of what the "L" name would be I was thinking Lollipop & of course on queue I thought of the 50's song Lollipop.
Imagine they play the song while they introduce Android 5.0 Lollipop. That would be so killer I think... Google has a great since of humor, so I definitely couldn't put it past them.
47. huckleberrypie (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Jun 2014)
I'm rooting more for Shirley Temple though.
3. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3583; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Finally Rip 4.x, I like that lollipop name. I admit I ate kitkat almost everyday last november and december after nexus 5 release LOL. Hope I dont start lollipops, that would be embarrassing.
16. 3rdDegree (Posts: 171; Member since: 13 Jul 2013)
You are SO hilarious. But I forgot to laugh.
18. 3rdDegree (Posts: 171; Member since: 13 Jul 2013)
No, they're referencing Lollipop by 50 Cent.
22. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3583; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
You forgot to laugh? Get a life bro... Even now i cant stop laughing at your stupidity here Read post #6 LMAO.
5. NationGuettaTR (Posts: 38; Member since: 28 Dec 2013)
How to fuark can i ask samsung where's my lollipop? It will ultra-embrassing statue.
6. Tattari (Posts: 11; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
i'm all in for android ,. but that's kind of a meh name :/
12. protozeloz (Posts: 5379; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
They usually look for popular names of sweets, so lollipop is a no brainer but it will be more about the features than the actual name
23. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1132; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
They could have gone with Lion after KitKat ;)
25. rns122112 (Posts: 49; Member since: 20 Jan 2014)
Yeah. Then it be a huge blowup with Apple taking them to court for patent and copyright infringement.
28. Tattari (Posts: 11; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
ofc it's all about the features :P , i'm just talking about the name now xD . Pretty sure it'll have pretty good features/upgrades otherwise
7. PowTheBowl (Posts: 83; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
next version should be 5.1/6.0 Maltesers :)
8. N-fanboy (Posts: 538; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
I take you to the candy shop... I let you eat the lollipop
9. amansingal14 (Posts: 293; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
I have a NEXUS 5. Today, a new version of Android is going to be revieled.
Conclusion - I am a happy man...
27. Jinto (Posts: 402; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
I believe it was
Android 1.0 Astro
Android 1.1 Bender
14. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3583; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Eagerly waiting to kick it on my nexus 7.
17. nh1402 (Posts: 6; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
Android 1.0 - Astro
Android 1.1 - Bender
The first two names were named after robots, and then they changed the naming system to desserts.
24. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2550; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I think that's the point when they realized they had zero chance of getting very far with that naming scheme.
26. N3Z1droid (Posts: 87; Member since: 02 Jan 2014)
Sweet OS... waiting what other flavour will it give to Android
29. mrblah (Posts: 528; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
They are calling this one "lollipop" because it will suck.
31. Sniggly (Posts: 7177; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I suppose it's only fair that the big day for Android will bring out the haters, just like the big day for Apple brings out their haters.
32. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3583; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
You mean just like iOS all these years. Lolz okay :p
42. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1640; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
That was almost clever except lollipops do not have a mouth and cannot suck. Your argument is invalid
45. mrblah (Posts: 528; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
The users will "suck it". Use your imagination, sucker.
33. SonofAndroid (Posts: 9; Member since: 25 Jun 2014)
They will definitely have a really hard time finding a snack starting with 'Z' a few years later...
35. brasstax (Posts: 144; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
What's with this obsession with eatables anyway? But all the same, Android rocks
38. refillable (Posts: 652; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
I hoped for a better name, :). But that's not the real point. The real point is that it will farther the gap between Android itself and iOS/WP to be the best Mobile OS in the world.
40. justsayit (Posts: 227; Member since: 09 May 2013)
Dear phonearena team,why these day so many ads on this website,can't you respect our loyal reader? :(
44. meliorit (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Jun 2014)
My lollipop, yo ice cream... we can get straight into it, and do it nicely
46. michaelsteinberger (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Jun 2014)
It was known already.... Tell what id coming after L? LOL
50. LiquidGalaxy (Posts: 245; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Clearly it's not confirmed though is it? It's being referred to as Android 'L' just about everywhere..
51. sush2696 (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Jun 2014)
Haha. lets just wait and see if we're really getting a lollipop LOL.