The iPhone 5s slow motion video might not be true 720p, experiment against the Note 3 shows
1. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3541; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
In short, Apple is lying to their customers. Very bad innovation.
6. tech2 (Posts: 3015; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
That A7 processor in 5s is an absolute waste !
Not only it doesn't need to support a HD screen (let alone a full HD) but now it can't even record 720p video at 120fps !
I wonder is the processor inferior or Apple's ios in utilizing it ?!
53. bachir8k (Posts: 127; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Same story as the "FHD" output of the lightning? turned out to be up-scaled res.
9. ijklmnop (Posts: 18; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
...and PA is supporting apple that they are actually saving resources.WTF? "should have added fckn 3GB ram".this shouldve been a conclusion.
44. kaira (Posts: 26; Member since: 12 May 2013)
@PhoneArena, I don't know whether you get paid by APPLE. Why would you speak on behalf of APPLE? Had it be other OEM company, the MICHEAL H, ALAN F etc of this world, would be bashing it, but since its APPLE - its double standards... PhoneArena is bias to say the least, whether I'm banned it doesn't matter... This is not ON!
15. bbblader (Posts: 588; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Apple lies that it's iPhone can do slow motion 720p@120fps and no one bats an eye.
Nokia release an ois video which doesn't say that it was shot on the Lumia 920 and everyone loses their minds...
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9849; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Oh this will get a lot of heat trust me. Since it's Apple, it'll get a lot of news coverage.
23. skyline88 (Posts: 390; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
cant blame them, Apple has got too many lies
36. jacko1977 (Posts: 428; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
like when they said ijunk5 was thinnest phone in the world
and that screen was the best and no one came close when 720p screen came out
and ios is the most advanced os in the world
they spit out nothing but lies over over over
27. tech2 (Posts: 3015; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Just because Apple is cheating on consumers as well that doesn't make Nokia's action any less dishonest.
P.S. - The ad clearly showed the guy using 920 followed by a video of the recording. Don't tell me it was just a happy coincidence !
28. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
New day, new story, but point is the same - iPhone 5S is overpriced crap.
38. Finalflash (Posts: 2171; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
They've been doing that for a while now....no surprises here, their customers aren't exactly the tech cream of the crop. Like hell the pre-teens or grandmas even notice this.
3. streethistory (Posts: 2; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
Too bad the HTC One/EVO had slo-mo video capture 1.5 years ago
39. Finalflash (Posts: 2171; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Well, apparently Apple doesn't either, so HTC wins out because they likely could upscale from 480p as well in those phones.
5. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3509; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I didn't expect this at all... Soon Apple will patent using 480p as 720p.
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9849; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Caught cheating big time. One of the very few features of the new iPhone is being reported as a lie. Wait until the general public reads about this.
40. Finalflash (Posts: 2171; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
They won't, not the ones that matter, being blind and deaf to criticism as they are.
41. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9849; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You'd be surprised as to how many average citizens read about tech online. All this has to do is surface on the front page of Yahoo! and word will spread like a wild fire.
10. jose.vu (Posts: 16; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Actually I don't quite believe in GSMArena way to do the comparison,
First, if you look at the photo (capture from the video), the iphone5s one is way brighter than Note 3. Second, iphone5s requires much faster shutter speed (at least 1/120s).
Combination of much brighter image + very high shutter speed means much higher ISO.
If you look at any camera, higher ISO means more noise, hence noise reduction will smear all the details and image looks like being upscaled.
I usually don't like Apple, but I do believe what they say in the spec (like battery or speed bump) ...
11. darkskoliro (Posts: 1061; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Note 3 also captured it at 120fps @ 720p, so it had the same shutter speeds. So it would have come down to optics, who would have better optimized the ISO balance etc. (The same ISO level doesnt mean same amount of noise. Depends on the sensor)
25. genious1987 (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Note 3 didn't record a slow-mo video @ 720P.
"Here’s the experiment we did. We took a slo-mo video with the iPhone 5s and a regular 720p video with another smartphone simultaneously (because the iPhone 5s can’t record regular 720p videos)" From GSM Arena.
29. darkskoliro (Posts: 1061; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Someone with a Note 3 double check on that please, but I'd say it was 120fps @ 720p because I know on my HTC Butterfly I dont have an option to record 30fps @ 720p, if I want it in 720p its going to be in 60fps
12. darkskoliro (Posts: 1061; Member since: 07 May 2012)
This is the kind of detail I want from a review...pointing out quality of claims etc. Numbers are numbers, but if you have nothing to show for it then reviewers should be able to point it out.
18. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9849; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Clearly. A true 720p @120fps contender.
20. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 740; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
That is why Apple keeps the screen of iPhone small so that no one can notice..
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9849; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Lol I actually had to laugh at this one.
33. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
AGAIN big fat +1 preachin there
24. amiaq (Posts: 503; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Liar! Liar!, iPhone and its charger is on fire
35. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
nope..... go home.... not funny
26. genious1987 (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Please correct your sentence.
Note 3 didn't do slow-mo recording @720P. Its a regular 720P video.
The below line is from GSMArena.
Here’s the experiment we did. We took a slo-mo video with the iPhone 5s and a regular 720p video with another smartphone simultaneously (because the iPhone 5s can’t record regular 720p videos)
30. taikucing (unregistered)
37. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
If this is true, the review grade should be downgraded. Every phone that has something that is later found to be inaccurate should have the review reflect it.
47. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
That's just wrong. The Moto X camera was bad when released but got a much needed software update, reviews should reflect things like this. I'm not saying constantly re-write every review, but at least update current flagship phones with a footnote at the bottom of the review.
43. _PHug_ (Posts: 421; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Bet this won't get as much run as Samsung faking benchmark results.
Don't recall Samsung advertising benchmark results
45. Sakeem (Posts: 377; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Wow. Well....if you are an apple loyalist, how do you defend this? I thought this was one of the main features of the 5s. Maybe it doesnt really matter b/c people do not buy the Iphone for its specs. Mostly its the "coolness" factor. Right or wrong? Someone help me out.
46. fatphone (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Oct 2013)
As a Note3 owner, I can verify that note3 has 120fps@720 video capture mode. At least that what is written in the Info for recoding mode - slow motion (saying it capture at 120 fps). And if you used this mode to capture video, the detail of the file will show the resolution as 1280x720 (720p).
48. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
apple lying? its ok they will wins everything on patent court
keep feeding this BS tech company people, they need all your money to hire new lawyer
its a good thing some gadget websites not a blind iboy style, premium, blablabla 9.3 score for this beautiful piece of innovation.
49. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Didn't phonearena already rate the 5S a better phone than the Note 3 in their head to head review??? Hmmm seeing holes in your review there...
51. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
It's not true ..I have done a video on slow motion of both phones and iPhone 5S give quality at 7 20 slomo. Phone arena check your comparison and then tell us.
52. siksik6 (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Oct 2013)
The slow motion video from the iPhone was compared against a STANDARD 720p video captured from the Note 3. The Note 3 was not recording in slow motion.
Phone Arena should make this clearer, as it's obviously confused some people.
The Note 3 produces AWFUL quality when recording slow motion videos. Don't believe me? Just search on YouTube. Dreadful quality, the iPhone 5s is leagues ahead in this regard.