Samsung takes the top spot for 2012 cell phone shipments, Nokia 2nd, Apple 3rd
1. androidisbaws (banned) (Posts: 74; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Always knew Samsung was the best. Kind of weird the other two are up there considering they don't have any android phones.
8. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2650; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It's the difference between the cell phone shipments numbers and smartphones. Nokia still ships a lot of feature phones, which gets it higher on the overall numbers.
12. androidisbaws (banned) (Posts: 74; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Forgot feature phones existed haha, so used to smartphones. Their asha line is probably very popular in other countries, I'm thinking in an American mindset, need to change that :)
15. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2650; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Hey, it's my job to write about mobile tech, and I forget about feature phones all the time.
23. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Asha is crazy wild in my country, still not as crazy as blackberry and lumia 610 (iPhone and S3 also)
35. jameshoe (unregistered)
Asha family, the world's most affordable cellphones
Lumia family, the best Windows Phone products
Nokia 808 PureView, the world's best camera smartphone
Nokia 3310, the best-selling cellphone in 2001
Nokia Lumia 920, the best touchscreen smartphone
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6139; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
and you're a idiot. this is bout shipments not sales
21. nwright94 (unregistered)
Samsung wins both of those
26. androidisbaws (banned) (Posts: 74; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
I never called anyone any words, sounds like your a little flustered that Samsung is on top.
30. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2992; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Did you? From year ONE of the 14 years Samsung has been in the competition, you have always known Samsung to be the best??? From the Pre-Bada and Pre-Android era Samsung, you knew??
Boy, you must be old by now!
Nothing will ever be the best when something better hits the shelves every month.
Apple will never get the number 1 spot unless they decide to start producing phones in each segment (entry, mid and the high end, which they only have). I don't think that's likely...
But here's the thing, it won't be difficult for Nokia to take that top spot again and it will be easy to knock Nokia off the spot AGAIN. Improvements, achievements, advancements in technology has taken competition to a certain level of unpredictablity.
You're statement that you've always known Samsung to be the best is invalid.
2. omar98 (Posts: 30; Member since: 28 Aug 2011)
I think Next year Nokia will rise again in the smartphone battle as the top windows phone manufacturer which it is now
11. eisenbricher (Posts: 970; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Yeah, Nokia will rise again.
I'm talking based on facts that Nokia has made entry to huge Chinese market, signs are looking good. And the country which helped it reach the top spot always, India is yet to see the taste of WP8 lumias. I guess 620 will become pretty famous here.
22. erdpov (Posts: 67; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
it's going to fail because of Windows platform. The ms tiles are so boring. Nokia had a chance with its own platform, but now Nokia is Muppet of MS. If ms fails, Nokia will sink too.
25. omar98 (Posts: 30; Member since: 28 Aug 2011)
Wp8 is not a sign of failure its a beatiful OS which I really wanna get my hands on sadly there is no lumias in Egypt yet Till then Ill stick to the S2
36. jameshoe (unregistered)
you have no idea how live tiles looks easier and better than Android classic theme, with all-new design and features, Android has no way could over than WP but only its Play store
32. Dunknown (Posts: 80; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Nokia is the top right now. Nokia has 82% of the global windows phone that is before the Lumia 920 and 820. Now i think it will be 90%. Go Nokia. I hope Nokia will review its glases next year like it was shown in the you tube
3. amiaq (Posts: 378; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
oo ooo oooo the ifans will say one phone vs many. I say shut up!!
9. freebee269 (Posts: 516; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
the demise of Nokia has been greatly exaggerated. their stock is now over $4 up from $1.63 in july 2011.
5. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Samsung and Apple is talked about so often that I thought Nokia claimed 2nd place on top of Apple. I guess that's something else... smartphone wise, Nokia is dropping like a brick...
13. bbblader (Posts: 575; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Nokia is a true innovator too I mean c'mon the camera,city lens,Free navigation and one of the best screens :)
16. loyals (Posts: 129; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
i completely agree but they had problem with os before . it seems to be fine now with windows though. htc deserves better place, they make wounderful phones. build quality is way better than samsung.
31. MC1123 (Posts: 1229; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
the only wrong thing that nokia did with its OS, symbian, is support!!! they dont support and follow the symbian foundation!!!
SF offers a new symbian,UIQ, for modernization..but nokia decline the offering and go to the old s60! and that is a huge mistake!
RIP symbian!! i will always love you!
7. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Smartphone sales only would be quite interesting.
10. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2650; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I'd definitely like to see stats on sales rather than shipments.
14. Sailingmaster (Posts: 24; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
I thought that for the manufacturers, shipments _were_ sales.
20. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2650; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Nope, shipments are just devices sent to stores, and counts the devices that stay on the store shelves, unsold.
38. Sailingmaster (Posts: 24; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
But for Samsung, those are sales. They don't ship those devices to retailers and carriers on consignment. If it were a consignment based system, say like bookstores, VZW wouldn't have to discount poor sellers down to almost nothing to get them to move. They'd ship them back for refund. Anyone remember the deals that came with the purchase of a Palm Pre Plus or Pixi Plus?
When Samsung says they've shipped 5 million Galaxy Note IIs, that means they've fulfilled orders for 5 million Galaxy Note IIs and shipped them to retailers and carriers.
What I think we would all love to see, are aggregate sales numbers from the major retailers and carriers. That would give us numbers sold to end users. We won't get those.
17. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6139; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Apple should drop down to 5TH PLACE don't care whos #1 as long Apple drops lower n lower and their STOCKS drop too
29. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1044; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
I can understand hating apple's products but I'll never understand wanting an American company that employs thousands to fail.
24. Loubielou (Posts: 196; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Samsung Now showing Nokia that they are the Best,o.k Nokia might do well with Budget Phones,but the Galaxy S3 an Galaxy Note II showing that Nokia as got to Change how Windows preforms with Customizing an Micro sd Card Slots on Smartphones,thats why Symbian was so Popular an alot of Nokia users have to Switched to Android because of they miss the Customizing of Windows Smartphones as Tiles looks so Ugly,with Galaxy S4 on the way 2013 is going to be tough for Nokia again
27. ray77 (Posts: 121; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
what is mean that went their order .it is that their are saling the phone
28. XperiaUser (unregistered)
next year Samsung will face some heat with other android manufacture + Nokia(WP8) + BB10 ,
33. Dunknown (Posts: 80; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
The era of smartphone will be ended. Reaching to the new era of phone that is ultra smart phone. If not mistaken, Nokia will be review its ultra smart phone by 2014 from the nokia innovator website. There will be a miniature hollogram that allows supergamming and it has the brain of the current high performance laptop
34. samystic (Posts: 188; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
Nokia themselves to blame - not that going to Windows is bad, but ditching Meego and Symbian was a crime for Nokia.