Report: Sony branded Windows Phone models on the way for 2014
Sony will partner with Taiwan based ODM Compal Communications for at least 1 to 2 Windows Phone models. The volume expected for those two units is only in the tens of thousands, and another 2-3 models are under discussion.
The industry sources estimae that Nokia will account for 90% of the 50 million Windows Phone 8 units expected to be sold this year. Sony will be one of a group of handset manufacturers bundled together in a category called "other," that together will account for the remaining 10% of sales.
1. clevername (Posts: 1428; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Cant wait. Gimme something exciting Sony. Do what Nokia has done. Don't disappoint with a generic offering.
6. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5150; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
"Do what Nokia has done."
Like what? Banging their head on the wall and let Microsoft acquire? You should say "Do what old Nokia has done.", what I mean by "old Nokia" is the original Nokia, the Nokia that isn't acquired by Microsoft. The "new Nokia" is just a clone, the "old Nokia" is temporary dead.
8. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5150; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I mean, "the "old Nokia" is dead for few years.
15. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
And it is possible that nokia will die forever just like ericsson's mobile division.
22. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5150; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
LOL Who are you? You must be a noob here, I'm not a fanboy. I'm the tech lover xperiaDROID. Thanks for calling me a fanboy.
20. cdgoin (Posts: 366; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Yea, dont do what Samsung has done.. and just swap OSes on your mid-range phone. Give us a great phone.. do something innovative.
2. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Release 2-3 phones at good designs, prices and promote them well.
Don't put halfhearted effort like samsung or HTC. It will be just waste of time and money.
5. ihavenoname (Posts: 1308; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
What Samsung did: They took great phone (GS3) changed OS, casing, buttons and color. Ruined by no advertising, no special features, and one color option. They had a chance, but they missed it. Really interesting to see Ativ S2 (if it even comes).
10. pwnarena (Posts: 831; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i don't think samsung and htc's efforts model were halfhearted. they did great. just easily overwhelmed by the popularlity of their android devices.
14. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
They did not great, especially Samsung.
Samsung never released their flagship phone ATIV S in many major countries including US, China, India, Japan.
How could anyone buy the phones if they are not even available. Also, they never promoted these phones wherever they released.
HTC did better in that regard but they always overprice their handsets.
3. clevername (Posts: 1428; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Just thought about the numbers... That's an estimated 137,000 (rounded up) activations a day for wp8. That's pretty admirable. Android and ios were there just a couple years ago. This is good growth.
12. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2415; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
From where you got that number (137,000)?
13. Kriksis (Posts: 80; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
He just divided 50 million WP8 devices expected to be sold this year with 365...
4. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5150; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
7. snowgator (Posts: 3197; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
As I have repeated often, love me some Sony handsets. Motorola, Sony and Sammy would be my top choices for Android handsets. As a WP fan, this is really great news for me.
Wonder as the transistion of Nokia from handset maker to services/solutions company progresses what that means for the amazing software apps/tools that were exclusive to their handsets. Wonder what Sony will bring to the table that MS/Nokia does not.
Okay, I admit it. I am kinda excited here.....
9. muser793 (Posts: 40; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
As a windows phone fan i will never ever buy a non-nokia windows phone! Where were these companies like sony when nokia put all its resources on windows phone instead of android? They said windows phone doesn't worth any effort. But now that nokia made windows phone a popular os every other companies wanna make windows phones like mad dogs! Go make your laggy android devices, ah i almost forgot you can't earn a penny from android cause every single $ that people spend on android devices goes to samsung pockets.
18. Astoni (Posts: 437; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I really hope Phonearena can do something about butthurt fanboys :p
23. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Lol.. do you know that even with small market share sony android phones have better sales results compared to nokia window phones.
24. xperiance (Posts: 44; Member since: 22 Oct 2013)
That is the best bussiness.....you see at the time of wp 7/7.5, investing in wp was a big loss....but as the os started to mature, it started to improve....still i has got a long way to go...but, now launching a windows phone is not a bad idea as it was 1-2 years ago......so, they are launching it now.....afterall,profit is the most important factor... Right!?
28. romeo1 (Posts: 193; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
To bad for you that you.will only buy a nokia wp.
Wp isn't that popular and sony doesn't want to.make wps like a mad dog. Microsoft is practically begging companys like sony to make wps by giving the license for free.
16. kartikeyarathi8 (Posts: 12; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
Nokia Lumia is like moto devices on android platform. Direct from the source out for pure OS experience n 1st to get OS updates. Wake Lumia allergic ppl
17. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 915; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
sony going head to head with nokia's windows
25. apexKBC (Posts: 92; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
Spelling is wrong of estimate, in 3rd para 1st line
26. GeekMovement (Posts: 1499; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
That's going to be interesting. I think I'd still stick with Nokia for my windows phones though.
27. apple4never (Posts: 931; Member since: 08 May 2013)
how would sony put microsofts xbox features on its phone?? their ps3, features would clash with them
29. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Was just gonna post that I cant see this happening. Or that MS would allow Sony's PS features on its phone.