OLED displays for smartphones to be in tight supply throughout the year
As the supply/demand ratio is expected to tighten dramatically, Samsung is moving to significantly extend capacity at its A2 5.5G fab from 2013-2014. Additionally, the company may also accelerate its plans for A3, another new AMOLED production line.
Rapid growth of smartphones and tablets, in conjunction with the continued shift towards larger average TV sizes, are driving a recovery of the FPD industry. In fourth-quarter 2012, average operating margins for flat panel display makers turned positive for the first time since third-quarter 2010, and this trend is forecast to continue. Additionally, the outlook for fab utilization, equipment spending and technology upgrades is improving in 2013 and potentially will continue into 2014.
1. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
gonna miss lcd...
2. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Back light bleed!Clouding!!!Not me! I Love deep blacks on Amoled
3. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Since black is only one from many colours, I rather choose to have many realistic colours on LCD screen than only one realistic colour on OLED screen.
4. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
you can have all colours REAL on the modern AMOLED
7. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Yes you can! S4 is close to Iphone5(very good screen)
9. SleepingOz (Posts: 2016; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Colour reproduction on the GSIV is even closer to the ip5 than the HTC One is.
8. SleepingOz (Posts: 2016; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
c5e7903e7e686ca27c11926f984191 /r/884x-/i/a1/fd/3c6aa5ce17af9e6cc3302 d40ba4d.jpg
15cae4165a7f4ccb6a23217236c329 /r/884x-/i/80/ff/035328be9286b48e6cee9 f26c108.jpg
2b96f187eccf09a9af54ea5e1f5541 /r/884x-/i/50/15/c550cece00754ec4a4754 e9f9741.jpg
76911c2cb9cf5b75655cf84415042d /r/884x-/i/74/36/b8ac9ba4be55a0f1266fb 86e43dd.jpg
76e8b8dabdc8bc733ac7d44a8f9188 /r/884x-/i/59/7c/d5f3363c5840f5f10b30b e612a3d.jpg
492717858af37119ad4c01d9c801d8 /r/884x-/i/32/3d/f147d1b85376025503cac 8d67296.jpg
cb5d74f88ffa5f73e1852f32ec876f /r/884x-/i/42/bc/37455408689e3e10abd98 21313ec.jpg
876c7df22d5f53201c81ad997dd17c /r/884x-/i/ca/71/14fe4197333be00f2109b 2221364.jpg
10. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
How this low level photos proves something?
12. SleepingOz (Posts: 2016; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
This proves that the SuperAMOLED panel of the GSIV is on par with the LCD panels used in the ip5 and the HTC One in term of "natural" colour reproduction.
17. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Yes you can. Do I have to post the link to the oled surgery monitor with the most accurate colours ever, again?!
6. Topcat488 (Posts: 791; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I bet Samsung starts charging 20% more now... Like they did to Apple and dim dang on chips.!.
11. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
This headline reads like a warning to Samsung's OLED customers, which now include Nokia and Motorola. Remember the HTC Incredible!
15. Supaheight (Posts: 63; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Amoled should improve but as it is i like more than lcd me it hurts my eys somehow
16. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Hmm I wonder if they will use LCDs if something goes wrong at one factory. That is what they do with the exynos, farm off to Qualcomm. Since the Active has an LCD of the same size, they might just use those for regular S4's in some countries if they can't keep up production.