Nokia Lumia 930 bested the Galaxy S6 edge's optical stabilization at its own game
1. kent-gaga (Posts: 501; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
he should have tap the record button first and then compare the 2 later
i've been using the Note 4 for awhile and the image stabilising (both optical and electrical) really kicks in only when you're recording a video
11. gadget_lover (Posts: 35; Member since: 30 Jun 2009)
True, I also have a Note 4, and I have never experienced such effect during actual recording usage.
I am not saying it has the best optical stabilization system, but it that clip is not 'real life' experience.
I am sure for correctness sake, this test will be repeated, comparing the functionality during recording and watching the playback.
12. Chris.P (Posts: 560; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
The live preview on the S6 edge mirrors the actual footage, as can be seen here:http://www.phonearena.com/news
14. kent-gaga (Posts: 501; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
that might be because you're recording with the fullHD @60fps or above mode (as on the Note 4, it might be different on the S6) or you haven't turn the feature on in the settings menu
on the note 4 the EIS only kicks in if it's 1080p@30fps, not HDR mode or any bigger res video mode
24. Spedez (Posts: 450; Member since: 29 Aug 2014)
I think you mean to say that the software "stabilization" kicks in...
38. j2001m (Posts: 2941; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
This is crap as its shacking more than any of the recorded demos we seen of it with the iPhone and so on, they need to hit record
40. rd_nest (Posts: 1593; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Both are good, with Lumia being better.
And everyone ignored the fact that Lumia's colour accuracy was worse.
3. Nimay_7 (Posts: 26; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
Hahahaha!! I love it.. its not that i hate Samsung or love Nokia.. but from what i saw Nokia's over a year old device kicked dear Sammy in his own booth..
4. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Lumias are always better with stabilization. I don't think anyone doubted it.
The great thing is that how close the S6 got.
31. UglyFrank (Posts: 1649; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
I'm wondering if they still have control of all 3 axis OIS suppliers.
5. arch_angel (Posts: 1651; Member since: 20 Feb 2015)
i agree with post number 1 but i also think that lumias always had the better cameras and ois.
6. ponnbu (Posts: 16; Member since: 01 Aug 2014)
On the video, camera app on s6 edge crashes.
8. GeorgeDao123 (Posts: 428; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Your brain and eyes are for decoration only.
10. ponnbu (Posts: 16; Member since: 01 Aug 2014)
Do you think you're smart enough to look down on the other, Mr one two three.?
35. GeorgeDao123 (Posts: 428; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
At least I am smarter than a person whose brain and eyes are for decoration only.
39. ponnbu (Posts: 16; Member since: 01 Aug 2014)
To be called a smarter, you need to have someone calling, not yourself. You idiot. ^^
9. Chris.P (Posts: 560; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
Samsung's camera app does that by default after a few minutes on standby.
34. GeorgeDao123 (Posts: 428; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
See? His brain and eyes are for decoration only.
15. joey_sfb (Posts: 5741; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
If an app crash there will be a crash dialog box.
7. GeorgeDao123 (Posts: 428; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Still better than iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
22. Daumus (Posts: 6; Member since: 18 Sep 2014)
No, not really, they're on par. Check out some samples from IP6+ because it has optical stabilization, IP6 has software stabilization.
36. j2001m (Posts: 2941; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Ip6+ does not even use it on video, try again
13. wando77 (Posts: 838; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
He didn't hit record with the s6 so it wasn't activated
17. o7o (Posts: 111; Member since: 26 Jun 2009)
Samsung's camera does a live preview of what will happen when you record, so it's activated even if you don't hit record.
43. samjpullen (Posts: 3; Member since: 10 Mar 2015)
No need, but thanks for your awesome choice of words.
19. RoboticEngi (Posts: 709; Member since: 03 Dec 2014)
I love it.....Someone tries to trashtalk the S6, ends up looking like a brainless moron :D
20. twens (Posts: 978; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Who cares it's us good as the lumina. Gsmarena just did a review on the camera of the s6 edge and it's stills and video are an improvement on what the note 4 already excels at. I'm more than happy with any camera that can best the note 4.
21. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Nothing can beat a super brick at being stable. The HTC One M9 is a super brick too but too bad it doesn't have OIS.
23. Spedez (Posts: 450; Member since: 29 Aug 2014)
Haha, fail. When Nokia gets back to phone biz I will surely buy theirs instead of junksung. Not handing any Money to MS, that's for sure.
25. elitewolverine (Posts: 5183; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Any phone you buy from apple, android, ms etc...you are giving money to MS.
26. brrunopt (Posts: 742; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I seriously dont get this ..
- The people that made this amazing 930 are at Microsfot now, not Nokia ..
- Microsoft has the licensing for most of the tecnology (like Pureview)
When Nokia "gets back into biz" what you will be buying is a Foxconn phone with Nokia name on it ; not a true Nokia...
A MS phone is more "Nokia" than the Nokia phones that might appear in the future..
29. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Only problem is that it seems to be taking forever for MS to release a successor to the L930. By the time a successor to the L930 ships, even Apple will be shipping an iPhone with a 20 Mp camera (and second or third gen OIS).
28. gamblor77 (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I couldn't tell what the hell was going on, they both looked the same to me. I think the guy recording should have used a camera with ois. He was shaking so bad I bet he was fapping with his free hand.
41. samjpullen (Posts: 3; Member since: 10 Mar 2015)
Thanks but my Camcorder has better OiS than both the Galaxy S6 and Lumia 930 :)
The phones are shaking and I am moving a little in and out to see the difference, I think I kept my hands pretty stable :)
But thanks for your un-constructive feedback, it will be ignored.
Have a lovely day :D
30. kerginaldo17 (Posts: 174; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
S6 is a shame for Samsung.Remake from Zero again, dudes.
32. ciprian.ruse (Posts: 294; Member since: 13 May 2014)
This test isn't done properly. You need to press the record button !
42. samjpullen (Posts: 3; Member since: 10 Mar 2015)
You actually don't, I spoke with one of the head engineers for the Galaxy S6 camera unit and the OiS is always working, you can turn on the Digital to work with the Optical but it crops the video at around 18% so you loose image quality and framing.
33. leonmbj (Posts: 45; Member since: 05 Jun 2014)
come on people
NOKIA does cameraphones with OIS since 2011/2012