Nielsen says iOS 7 needs to work on user experience
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
26 Feb 2014, 09:37
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Samsung Galaxy S5: all you need to know
24 Feb 2014, 17:06
1. THE.DARK.KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Brace yourselves. The haters are coming
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5155; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It IS a work a in a progress. Wait until v. 7.1.4 before things stabilize.
23. Sniggly (Posts: 6400; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
So...a hater is someone who has legitimate complaints about iOS 7?
31. bachir8k (Posts: 61; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
hahaha Michael is the new Jony Eve "Sure, change can be difficult, but we're all human, and if nothing else we are capable of adapting to change and learning."
4. 9thWonderful (Posts: 228; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
i haven't seen many bugs or issues w/iOS 7 but Apple's only problem is that you have fed your customer base the same fundamental UI since 2007. now here we are 6 years later and you make that drastic of a change which ppl aren't receiving well. unless you're like myself and just plain ol' don't give a fack.
8. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Much the same thing MS did with W8. UI's are extremely difficult to nail because there are so many elements and so many demographics to take into account. In MS' case, they made big changes to help unify their system across platforms. Apple just appears to have rushed things along instead of taking more time to develop the UI properly.
14. Whateverman (Posts: 3156; Member since: 17 May 2009)
True, and that's why "choice" shouldn't be such a dirty word. My sister sent me a screenshot of a text message from her 5S. Those colors are wayyyy to bright for me to see myself carrying anything with ios7. For those who feel this way, Apple should have made the new look optional. Maybe a skin of the last version, or one a little less flamboyant.
26. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Some of the greens are difficult to see, way too vibrant. Could be I'm getting older but it hurts the eyes to look at.
Skins would be great but they just recently gave people wallpapers. Outside of jailbreaking, I don't see Apple releasing skins anytime soon.
5. Derekjeter (Posts: 126; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Dark- it's kind of true. I left iOS due to this update. I know you will defend it and a year a ago I would do it too. It's not what we all thought it was going to be.
6. CannabisHighway (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Oct 2013)
I wouldn't mind it if it didn't crash so often. Apple will get it worked out soon enough though.
21. THE.DARK.KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Crash? Your iPhone 4 is too old and you must replace it.
25. Remmy (Posts: 52; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
We have 2 iPad Minis and everyone started to hate me after upgrading them. Games and apps crash more often especially in my iPhone 4. ;__; My mom loves her 5 though.
28. phatcow (Posts: 17; Member since: 13 Jun 2013)
TDK really? Apple would let you update your phone to make it not work as well as it use to so you must replace it? I have the iPad 4 btw and still have crashes must i replace mine too with..... oh wait. Also i heard iPhone 5s has "BSOD" crashes? Seems like either it is a phone by phone issue: low quality control (and fragmentation =P) or some people are just rejecting/denying the possibility that Apple has flaws...
7. piyath (Posts: 150; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
I honestly appreciate what apple has done in ios 7. It is a major update and there might be (must be) some glitches here and there. Who makes perfect UIs in the first shot. See android and touchwiz UI with still persisting bugs and slowdowns. Lag is the worst part which impact the user experience severely and ios doesn't have that. ios doesn't know what the lag is. By the time apple will release more refined versions and we consumers have to be patient until then.
11. GeekMovement (Posts: 1494; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Actually, while you're right about Touchwiz and the occassional lag that comes with it, our family's iPad 4 that was updated to iOS 7 developed noticable lag that surprised me. Of course, this is because just as the article states it's a work in progress adjusting to a newish UI (more like refreshed), but still shocking to see so many bugs and lag on an apple device.
12. illusionmist (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
I'm actually impressed that they pulled it off within a year... along with all those new software + hardware products.
Granted there are lots of kinks that need to be ironed out, but I think iOS 7 still marks an important shift here, or as Sir Jony F*ckin Ive had put it, "a new beginning."
17. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 640; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
I use an iPhone 5 with iOS7 believe me it lags. A friend of mine just bought Note 3 and that thing is faster than my iPhone 5 with iOS7.
24. good2great (Posts: 1022; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
my iphone 5 doesn't lag at all... hmmm i wonder why you're having a bad experience?
32. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Lol man no offense but don't try to pretend people aren't having problems with ios7 at all. I'm not even going to waste my time posting a link to an apple forum where people are talking about all the problems.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 8911; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You should get a 5S. The iPhone 5 simply will not run iOS 7 quote as well. And it doesn't have all the camera features either.
9. AfterShock (Posts: 908; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
An update will fix that right up, 7.2 or 7.3?
Until that time remember, what happens in the garden, stays in the garden!!
10. Slammer (Posts: 721; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
There's two things that really affect the user's unsettled issue:
1) Most iphone users are not used to such an upgrade at this level. I have had many friends complaining of this upgrade since they initiated it. I had to politely point out that it would take getting used to. I was glad to hear that most have begun to adapt to the change. Some have not and are still frustrated with the learning curve.
2) Being that so many iPhone owners can't seem to have updates come soon enough, many of my friends thought that this upgrade would work flawlessly on their two and three year old iphones even after telling them to avoid the upgrade on dated 4's and 4s'. Some of these people have had relentless issues to the point of giving up.
Change is often good. But, most Mac and ios users I've known over the years, don't easily accept change on these products.
13. Finalflash (Posts: 883; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Although, I do not understand why it lags on any legacy system. On the home page, there is lag between pages and when calling up the notification center, control center or search. This makes no sense because those phones are more than capable of playing high end games and the difference between iOS 6 and 7 isn't that much. The amount and type of animations are almost the same and makes little difference in terms of power needed to run one animation or the other. There is little difference between the two when it comes to functionality as well. I had a notification center show up easily before iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 (a better looking one at that) and it didn't lag at all. There are no extra apps or whatever running that might bog it down. It really makes no sense and just seems deliberate because the same thing happened to my older 3GS and 3G on iOS 5 and iOS 6 (respectively). Lack of RAM might be pointed out as a culprit but its not like just the home screen from a fresh restart would take up 256 MBs where as before it took only half as much max (from what SBsettings reported in iOS 6, don't have jailbreak on iOS 7 for now).
16. Mrmark (Posts: 69; Member since: 26 Jan 2013)
Just embed a classic mode as the basic mode which gets rid of the new stuff and makes it more like an iOS 6 and below experience and call it a day!
19. twens (Posts: 418; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Ever since the days of galaxy s2 upto s3 touch wiz has never lagged. It's only the s4 that brought that issue back. The note 3 has no lag even with all those bloat wares it is easily one of the smoothest and fastest android phones around. Don't be comparing your laggy iOS 7 to touch wiz and android just because some few s4 units lagged.
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5842; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Correction - Note 3 is the fastest device in the world next to the Moto X and Nexus 4.
And idk how many times I have to say it, bit iOS 7, even on an iPhone 5 and 5S lags and crashes like hell. Apple needs to quickly release updates because it's not even usable most of the time.
22. techguyone (Posts: 91; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I don't think the problem necessarily is the fact that ios 7 brings so many changes, it's more the fact that it's been rushed through quite clearly. Ask yourself would Jobs have allowed that out into the public domain in the condition it is?
And to be completely frank, I don't know how anyone can defend some of the glaring mistakes present, where there's multiple overlapping elements, poor consistency, and really just bad design. Jony Ives you should stick to hardware pal, your arty farty software isn't an improvement, and has only made apple look bad (again)
Granted apple DID need to do something to improve it's rather outdated UI, but this?
27. bigwavesurfer4 (Posts: 10; Member since: 13 Jun 2011)
The only thing that frustrates me about this article is that it comes after the iphone 5s review which states, "Frankly, the most impressive thing to us on the iPhone 5s beyond everything else, is the new iOS 7 interface it’s running." - So basically the review is stating that ios 7 is better than the iphones in all honesty premium design etc etc...and yet just a few short weeks later...you have another phonearena staff stating, "Apple definitely has work to do to refine the UI of iOS 7." To me, that's inconsistent reporting. I think phonearena needs to take a step back on some of these reviews and focus on getting the right review out. That's just my opinion of course.