Motorola sued again by "patent troll"
While Google sees the IP portfolio holder as a nemesis, Intellectual Ventures sees itself as the builder of a new marketplace for inventions. It added that taking Motorola Mobility to court was not its intention and that it is instigating the latest suit as a last resort. The legal battle covers patents for features like multimedia messaging to file transfer technology.
"We’re fighting to stop patent trolls’ use of low-quality patents to extort money from companies that actually innovate and make real things. We support bipartisan efforts by the White House and Congress to end these kinds of abuses"-Google
In order to avoid any problems, back in 2010 HTC and Samsung entered into patent licensing agreements agreements separately with Intellectual Ventures. The agreements cover the use of IV's patents for the production of Android flavored phones.
4. Sniggly (Posts: 6204; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
But when Motorola does it, whether or not FRAND patents are involved, it's evil and awful, is that right?
6. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
First Association with the title "APPLE" and nothing can change that!
7. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 121; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
It is when you dont come up with the idea but rather just buy it and then not do anything with them, you know like actually making a product, but instead just use that ip for the sole purpose of extorting money.
24. ckingt4 (Posts: 26; Member since: 15 May 2012)
Supermaoribro, didnt see your response. agree with every word.
13. joey_sfb (Posts: 1477; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I support the idea of patent reform, narrow the scope of patent to a particular product only.
22. Sparhawk (Posts: 71; Member since: 10 Mar 2012)
That would make a patent completely useless. All your competitor would have to say is "it's not the same product" and get to use your patented design anyway?
25. joey_sfb (Posts: 1477; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
that the whole idea. why should the toasters patent restrict the sales of conventional oven.
16. wumberpeb (Posts: 383; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)
If your sole purpose as a company is to hold patents and use them to either license or sue, when most or all of said patents were purchased from another company, you're a troll. Sorry, Mxyzptlk...
23. ckingt4 (Posts: 26; Member since: 15 May 2012)
problem with this company is it isnt defending its ip, it bought the ip from another company for the sole purpose of milking others.
27. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
yea thats right, but when you sue Motorola using Nokia's patents (or that's how i understood it) it is patent trolling
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
Funny, when you hired by manager A and he decided to fired you 3 month later, you can say manager A a troll...
but when you hired by manager B and he still fired you and you hired again by C and fired by C and so on, you cannot blame manager as a employer troll now because the problem now is you yourself...
same thing I'm going to apply here, instead of complaint employer policy (patent policy), how about look at mirror and see yourself, why every company in the world sue you, my dear Google :)
10. majp89 (Posts: 38; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
I've read this three times now and I still have no idea what you just said.
17. wendygarett (unregistered)
Yup, I'm deserved to be ignored :)
15. cgyspy (Posts: 13; Member since: 25 Jan 2012)
Is not every company in the world that is suing you...it is by someone with certain company in its back.
3. joey_sfb (Posts: 1477; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
patent trolls normally have backer. Microsoft, Oracle and Apple come into mind.
5. masterpogi6 (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Hahaha burn :D A lesson to learn to Google that copycat is not good :D LOL LOL. always a loser :D
11. majp89 (Posts: 38; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
Because selling over 200 million + smartphones is "always losing."
8. zennacko (Posts: 156; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
Apple is the greatest patent troll in the world...
Followed by Gradiente, the legendary brazilian troll who controls the name "iphone" over there :D
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
When I have read "patent troll", first thing that I have thought was Apple. :D
18. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
And the irony is that consolidating the company's name gives us iVentures.
21. MartyK (Posts: 651; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
All Google have to do now is to shut down Moto (stop making devices), and go hard after MS and Apple product...lol