Motorola adds more phones to ICS upgrade list
And that brings us to the not so good news. Verizon's phones are still being "evaluated", despite the fact that ICS information and even screen shots have leaked for the Droid RAZR and the Droid Bionic. And for those phones with official timelines, it looks like Motorola’s December announcement that they planned to update their current phones “in the next 4-6 months” may have been overly optimistic. Except for the WiFi “Google Experience” version of the Xoom, it appears that we are looking at Q2-Q3 for most Motorola devices to see some creamy Android 4.0 goodness sent their way.
This perhaps shouldn’t be a surprise; Motorola’s recent comments on the difficulty of adapting ICS to hardware other than the reference SoC found in the Galaxy Nexus probably foreshadowed this prolonged timeline. Their comments didn’t fully square with our understanding of the process, but at the least it seems that Motorola has been having some difficulty in getting ICS prepped for other phones for weeks now.
At this rate Motorola’s new ICS handset, which we expect to be announced at MWC, may launch before any of their 2011 handsets are upgraded. Indeed, phones getting the update in Q3 may be just in time to see the next version of Android get released. Here’s hoping that Google’s pending acquisition of Motorola will lead to a sea change in how quickly these updates get out the door to end users.
source: Motorola via Droid-Life
1. fervid posted on 15 Feb 2012, 11:54 2 0
At least both Atrix phones will be getting it now. Shame I had too many IMAP issues and vanishing apps claimed to be on SD Card with my Atrix 2. Better IMAP an dless issues would have made it a great phone...Super Amoled + even better, but at least it wasn't Pentile.
26. ledbetterp3 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 15:19 6 1
Yeah, just don't downgrade to an iPhone. Haha, he doesn't even have the ATRIX 2 anymore... Anyways, the ATRIX 2 is a great phone, but I'm having minor GPS issues, but that's it. I'm really glad that its getting ICS like I knew it would. Some fag at xda-developers was just swearing it wouldn't, and convincing some gullible retards, but I had faith in Motorola!
2. bubba78 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 11:54 3 0
I wish they would update the Bionic and the Razr already.
3. squallz506 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 11:57 3 0
if 2 dozen independent developers could port ICS onto my ventana tegra 2 g2x without any help from nvidia or lg than Moto has absolutely no excuse why they cant put ICS on every OMAP device.
25. biophone posted on 15 Feb 2012, 14:58 1 1
You didn't consider those independent developers didn't have to deal with google and carriers aproval. Plus they have to skin ics something devolpers don't. If you look at unskinned phones the updates are fast. Plus moto has alot of other things they are working on.
33. squallz506 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 15:42 1 0
my point was that motorola has infintely more resources than developers. moto says the problem is that the chipsets are too different. well independent developers have ported ics onto every major chipset. so why cant moto put ics on devices with the same chipset as the GNEX?
also the developers have made about half a dozen different themes and kangs for my device already, so building skins isnt a valid excuse.
34. biophone posted on 15 Feb 2012, 16:06 0 0
The chip sets aren't the problem michael h said so it was a lame excuse. The problem is carrier approval and skins. Building a skin on a new platform is time consiling and is a valid excise.
38. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 16:33 1 0
yeah, it's a different story all the time. nobody wants to paint anybody in a bad light that's holding them by their pockets.
39. biophone posted on 15 Feb 2012, 16:35 3 0
Android really needs to take some control back from the carriers and maybe we could see more faster updates.
4. gubbels214 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 11:59 3 4
So glad they included the original atrix i was afraid it would get lost in the fray of the Atrix 2. heck the atrix has better specs then the 2
10. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 12:56 3 0
actually the 2 is more powerful. why would they have made it if it wasn't? xD
5. smdeezy posted on 15 Feb 2012, 12:02 1 2
If they already gave the Xoom ICS the Photon should be next in line. The specs are exactly the same!
6. squallz506 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 12:07 1 0
? no they are not. the xoom uses the harmony tegra2 while the photon uses the ventana tegra2.
21. squallz506 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 14:17 0 0
uhhh... different GPU? xD
37. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 16:30 0 0
i didn't know Nvidia made such changes to the Tegra II. o:
40. biophone posted on 15 Feb 2012, 16:37 1 0
I didn't know that either. However a sliglty different gpu is no reason not to give the photon ics.smdeezys point still stand. I would like to hear what remixfa has to say on these proccesor differences.
41. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 16:53 1 0
it's probably like the difference between an OMAP4430 and a 4460. not that different. o:
42. squallz506 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 18:48 1 0
Yeah its no biggie, I was just replying to the guy claiming that they have exactly the same specs.
43. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 19:23 1 0
oh sorry. I stay in chrono. xD
7. maxkobi posted on 15 Feb 2012, 12:42 2 1
let me try to translate what moto means >>> "its really hard to add BLUR to ICS" haha
8. InspectorGadget80 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 12:44 0 0
FINALLY MY ATRIX is listed. thought we were left out including others. It's always Verizon gets the updates first which is unfair
20. Yankchef posted on 15 Feb 2012, 13:27 0 0
Actually if i read it correctly the atnt/sprint atrix/2/photon are all in development where the verizon handsets are still one step behind in the evaluation stage, so seems to me that the new verizon handsets will get updated after the others
9. Sniggly posted on 15 Feb 2012, 12:49 2 2
Yeah, I saw this news a little earlier. It made me really happy. :) I mean, Q3 could mean as early as summer, but even with Moto's past reputation, the latest we're probably looking at is September. So maybe about 7 months from now.
As I said before, I don't mind waiting as long as I know that I'm getting something at the other end.
27. thephoneguy92 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 15:28 0 0
Why would you get a thumbs down for this comment...
12. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 12:58 0 0
it better be sooner rather than later for my Razr like March-April soon.
14. Yankchef posted on 15 Feb 2012, 13:08 1 0
I am also a bit surprised that the droid x2 and the droid 3 are not on this list... but as has been made clear it is an continuously developing process and they still could be
15. Sniggly posted on 15 Feb 2012, 13:11 2 1
If you read the update list and its preface, you'll see that the devices listed all have a gig of RAM. Whether that will continue to be a minimum requirement remains to be seen.
18. Yankchef posted on 15 Feb 2012, 13:16 1 0
Yea was just reading through it seems to be the common factor, 1 gb of ram was definitely on my must have list when i was upgrading. Knew it would pay off down the road
19. Sniggly posted on 15 Feb 2012, 13:27 2 1
LOL, same here. I'm really glad in retrospect that I didn't convince my friends to go with Verizon and the DROID 3. I knew the 512 megs of RAM was going to be trouble.
36. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 16:29 0 0
mehh, it wasn't bad. it wasn't even a problem with the V6 Supercharger script i used on mine.
22. The_Miz posted on 15 Feb 2012, 14:30 3 4
Those two phones are outdated and not relevant anymore. Course, they were never any good to begin with.
24. Scott_H posted on 15 Feb 2012, 14:32 0 0
They're pretty relevant if you happened to buy one.
46. The_Miz posted on 15 Feb 2012, 20:14 1 2
You should try it, at least your comments would make some sense.
47. Sniggly posted on 15 Feb 2012, 21:29 2 1
And what exactly have I said which doesn't make sense?
Or is this just an example of you being a meathead again?
48. The_Miz posted on 15 Feb 2012, 21:43 1 2
Just about everything you say, kiddo.
The only one being a meathead here is you.
49. Yankchef posted on 15 Feb 2012, 22:15 0 2
Online forums such as this should be a plane for the affluent and educated to engage in constructive conversation and debate meaningful topics. Not to act like children and spew meaningless crap.
59. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 23:41 2 0
your mom is meaningless crap. :P
50. Sniggly posted on 15 Feb 2012, 22:18 1 0
Since you can't give a straight answer to save your life, you must either be a meathead or a sucky troll. Consider this: you have been at this whole shtick for at least a year. This kind of dedication indicates that you have a really s**tty life, or that you're an obsessive freak.
51. Yankchef posted on 15 Feb 2012, 22:26 0 0
Sniggly see comment 49
52. Sniggly posted on 15 Feb 2012, 22:44 2 1
Yeah, I know. But the more time he spends on me, the less he spends on anyone else.
54. The_Miz posted on 15 Feb 2012, 22:47 1 1
Get a life and a girlfriend.
57. Sniggly posted on 15 Feb 2012, 23:12 1 0
I have both. :)
60. The_Miz posted on 16 Feb 2012, 01:32 0 1
Anyone can dream, Sniggly ;)
55. The_Miz posted on 15 Feb 2012, 22:47 0 1
Please, those words will fly right over his incredibly big head.
53. The_Miz posted on 15 Feb 2012, 22:46 1 2
Get over yourself. You're just getting desperate now. If anything, you've been at this for a year since you're keeping tabs, though how incorrect. So what does that say about you, Sniggles?
58. Sniggly posted on 15 Feb 2012, 23:34 1 0
Desperate? It's just a funny thing I've noticed. After a while, trolling ceases to be trolling and just becomes....sad. I really mean it.
61. The_Miz posted on 16 Feb 2012, 01:33 0 1
Maybe you should stop trolling then.
62. Sniggly posted on 16 Feb 2012, 01:44 1 0
But I don't.
And Tuesday morning wasn't a dream.
35. KingKurogiii posted on 15 Feb 2012, 16:28 0 0
i would be surprised if the Droid 3 didn't make the list but not so much Moto's mistake the X2...
16. antmiu2 posted on 15 Feb 2012, 13:11 0 0
yessss ICS for the ATRIX 4G!!! Q3, mean while I´ll use custom ROMS
17. theBankRobber posted on 15 Feb 2012, 13:15 2 0
People keep forgetting that Google said they want to do once a year updates. Around the summer last year ( July - September ) is when the phones started getting Gingerbread, in the states that is. So July-September this year for a update is about right. This is a good time to hit the Motorola forums and look for a sign up testers post. Testers are going to get the update before carriers do so its a good time to sign up.
28. StillStuckWithDroid posted on 15 Feb 2012, 15:28 0 2
from deductive reasoning I would have to assume that the Bionic and Razrs will not even sniff ICS till 2013
way to screw over your customers Moto
30. Carlitos posted on 15 Feb 2012, 15:38 1 0
Lol day made! Motorola Atrix 4g getting ICS. And by the looks of it around the same time it got GB last year. One thing I really like about Motorola. Is how they are probably the fastest Android manufacturer to update there devices. Even if its just for bug fixes.
32. lenrad posted on 15 Feb 2012, 15:41 1 0
motorola is slacking! how is it that i have og X and am running ics. it works pefectly fine except for the camera. it can't be too hard if a 13 yr old dev figured out how to get it to work. i have had no problems.
63. BomberXL posted on 17 Feb 2012, 15:39 0 0
yes! my atrix 4G just keeps coming back as a phone to last through the times!