Google's tight control over Android worries the Chinese Government
"Our country's mobile operating system research and development is too dependent on Android," China’s technology ministry said in a white paper. "While the Android system is open source, the core technology and technology roadmap is strictly controlled by Google."
Moreover, the Chinese Government reminded itself of the couple of cases where Google discriminated against some Chinese companies by delivering code later. Also, just last September Google pressured Acer and it had to cancel its joint smartphone initiative with Chinese Alibaba.
Interestingly, estimates show that last year China became the world’s biggest smartphone market surpassing the United States and that difference will only grow this year.
So overall, this could well be a warning that Chinese regulators could step in against Android and give a helping hand to local manufacturers.
source: Business Insider
1. Esf_Kid (Posts: 48; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Android all the way.
i have IP5 but compared with android, IOS is nothing.
11. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Nothing other than just working and being a very stable OS with lots of support? Yeah, sounds like nothing.
25. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6399; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
so u rather have APPLE control ur software?
34. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Interesting that iOS is "stable." I know an OS with a lower force close rate.
I guess iBooks is at least stable, and doesn't crash repeatedly on my iPad. /s
20. techspace (Posts: 624; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
it depends on what you like, why did you but the ip5 if you don't like it.....seriously, its bad to be a fanboy, but its worse to buy what you don't like, that's foolishness.....
29. kboo1995 (unregistered)
The first comment I read in this blog that have some sense in it
36. Esf_Kid (Posts: 48; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
man, IP5 is my first IOS experience and i didn't know anything about it.
don't judge soon.
42. techspace (Posts: 624; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
now buying something without knowing anything about it is also called as foolishness.....maybe you will tell the same thing about the other operating systems as well
49. Esf_Kid (Posts: 48; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
what do you want to prove?
that im fool?
i'll buy what ever i want. do you know how many phones i have experienced so far? i owned phones with different OS and...
in my opinion, IOS is the most boring OS right now.
2. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 853; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
China is calling another entity controlling. Mind=blown.
21. techspace (Posts: 624; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
china wants to have everything of its own, the don't want to leave anything to any company that is not related to china
omg.......they are really very hungry to become the next superpower
30. tward291 (Posts: 559; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
lol china is not a super power just because the economy is growing and massive does not make them a super power. they have no world influence nor is there military even in a position to show power.
33. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
America has had the worlds largest and strongest military force for a very long time, even though our economy is trash. We little have $700billion dollars invested into the military with china at 119billion
43. techspace (Posts: 624; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
china's is the world's largest economy, but its not a superpower as yet.
they want to become the best in every way, they don't want to leave anything to usa, they are conscious, they also want to maintain a safe distance from countries like india, that have the capability to become superpowers in near future
45. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Lol i wish China wouldn't surpass usa .. Their language is awful + the majority of the people there are rude
Not to mention the Internet censorship
3. Aeires (unregistered)
Too bad, Google would be crazy to give control of that to the Chinese government, they'd totally strip it and cut off Google in every way possible.
4. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
It's there product. They should have some level of control. But if they think Google has tight control....I hate to see what they think of Apple.
5. Sniggly (Posts: 6953; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
The Chinese government is just pissed because Google stands up to their anti human rights bulls**t.
They don't seem to have a problem with Apple hanging out in China, despite Apple having supreme control over iOS.
12. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Yet Google has been accused of many anticompetitive practices.
They aren't pissed by anything.
18. pixelado (Posts: 130; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
or... idk, a troll filter which automatically hides fanboys based on your preferences.
23. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
That could fall under the pot calling the kettle black.
22. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
PA isn't forcing you to read Sniggly's comment.
27. Sniggly (Posts: 6953; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Hi Mxy. I'm sure that in your own special way, you're convinced you're being clever.
Sadly, that isn't the case.
Just thought I should let you know. ;)
39. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I bet you feel so special by telling me that.
32. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
You should stop posting, and go away to AppleInsider! And here's a RED from me
35. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
you aren't any better to me... oh the irony :o
40. BackHandLegend (Posts: 80; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
Leave him alone Optimus, you have an armv6 processor barely capable of displaying flash. YOU LEAVE HIM ALONE! xD
26. p5yb0rg (unregistered)
The Chinese government is smarter than we take them for. They know that once they give an open avenue to Google, all of China's privacy will be exposed. Are you guys really that gullable to believe that Google doesn't use our personal search information to their advantage and to cater to our interests through their ads?
37. joey_sfb (Posts: 2892; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Google did and they are open about it. They have also stated how they will and they will not do with our data.
Unlike many companies e.g Apple that hide under thin veil that we are going to do what we will till some one find out and are strong enough to stop them. In the digital age, there no privacy so don't do want you don want others to know or post things that you don't want some groups to find out e.g Bosses, Rival Companies.
I paid for all my device with my hard earn cash and for me its better the devil you know than the angel that pretend. I don't owe Google, Apple or Microsoft a thing.
48. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
See my post below as to why China might be mad at Google...
Anyone praising the Chinise govt....I dont know what to say. Like living in a dictatorship?
44. techspace (Posts: 624; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
no, china doesn't have problem with apple because all the apple products are manufactured over there and its not a search engine, china wants to keep secrets and google's services can be accessed by everyone........
8. lovefist (unregistered)
aw cmon it's greedy china. if it's something they want it's probably more income or more control. either of the two or probably both.
9. alila2 (Posts: 118; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
Dear Chinese Government , I love your sarcasm !!!!!
17. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 319; Member since: 07 May 2012)
i saw the title and thought it was sarcasm,so they actually expect google to give them control over the core technology and technology road map.
it wouldn't be googles system then now,would it?
13. luis_lopez_351 (Posts: 951; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
omfg, no sh*t. Your enemy created it. As much as I hate to say it, china will never be our friend. Competition, best society survives and take control, next up, other planets.
14. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
China will be working on their own version of Android just like amazon :)
19. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 618; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Are there any windows computers sold in China? Just a question because that is even more tightly controlled than Android as is iOS, China just doesn't like the fact that Android is so big and probably have that propaganda crap running through their minds that Google is funded by the US government to steal all China's secrets and their recipe for smart babies.
31. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Pirated WINDOWS sold in huge numbers. Once bill gates even thought of giving WIN for $3 saying that hook them first then we will see how to get more from them ... :)
38. roscuthiii (Posts: 1789; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I guess China never heard of Kindle Fire, B&N Nook, etc. They can remove Android from the Google ecosystem, if they really wanted to instead of whining.
47. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"China is one place where Android has grown tremendously popular. Once a nation preferring Symbian,"
So wait, they had no problem when Symbian was on almost every phone? Something doesnt add up....
Maybe they are mad at Google for this: