Brazilian paper says Apple is about to get the iPhone name back in the country
According to the largest newspaper in Brazil, Folha de São Paulo, both sides have apparently reached a settlement that will give Apple the right to use the iPhone name in Brazil. Saturday's edition of the daily said that both Apple and INPI had reached a "pacific agreement," which probably means that the Brazilian company has won the lottery. When Apple reached an agreement with Chinese firm Proview for the rights to the iPad name on the mainland, it had to fork over $60 million for the name.
1. fanboy1974 (Posts: 946; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Does it really matter? From the company that bought you iPhone 3g, 3gs, 4, 4S, 5 and the soon to be 5s. Real innovation Apple!!!
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 8926; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
What have you innovated other than whining about apple?
11. weinerslav (Posts: 121; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
what have you innovated besides defending apple and bad mouthing the rest?
14. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Continually setting the bar higher for iDrone iDiocy?
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 8926; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You can talk all the anti apple crap you want, but this is one techie you will never be able to shut up. Good luck in trying though Mr. Does. You think androiders can say whatever they want and iOS'ers have to just sit there and take it, then when they//we fire back we're fanboys. Well try it with me all you want, but I'm gonna get back at you homie...trust that. Where I'm from you don't back down, so come with it.
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 8926; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
what have you innovated besides defending android and bad mouthing the rest?
18. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
I normally don't agree with you, but this time I will. There are some real good Android fans on this site, who make comments a pleasure the rest of the Android guys are real pathetic.
2. MartianMe (unregistered)
Well at least people know who came up with the name first....that way apple cannot say that they invent everything.
4. Paximos (Posts: 41; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
I guess now that they caved in and are getting $$ for the name, they will call their phone "iFart"
22. Paximos (Posts: 41; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
Hey guys, this comment is not to defend apple!!
5. -box- (Posts: 3537; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
If true, hope the local company got enough for all their employees to retire
6. skymitch89 (Posts: 970; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Apple should get the "iPhone" name while INPI should get "IPhone"/"IPHONE"/"iphone".
10. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Sure, they will each get a $5 itunes gift card.
8. yajia1 (Posts: 103; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Good for them. Good riddance. A lot of people puke when they hear iphone anyways. And to think cash came along with that!
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5472; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
FCk with this. Apple will do anything too pay for not paying a FINE or settlement
13. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Dude, you're looking at it all wrong. apple is spending all their money on patents, lawsuits, and buying rights to names they did NOT come up with (LMFAO at their products NAMES not even being original) instead of actually making new novelty trinkets.
They're just screwing themselves, damaging their reputation, wasting money, looking like assh*les and driving their stock price into the ground.
Every day they lose more and more ground to Android and Nokia. There time will come, i look at them as living in the final days of the Roman Empire.
15. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Amazing world we live in. Someone gets to retire and live the rest of his/her life comfortably just by reserving a six letter word before someone else did.
19. donfem (Posts: 461; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
The silent and unsaid word is "money" changed hands.