Apple's streaming music service could debut this summer
According to a source for The Verge, Apple is sitting on 'Go'. "The “iRadio is coming. There’s no doubt about it anymore," said the source. Apple will be entering a very competitive arena, but if it can use its clout to get better deals than Pandora, Last.fm and Spotify, Apple will be able to profit even if it offers the service free, supported by ads like the latest rumors say. Speaking of Spotify, that service is believed to pay the labels the most at 35 cents per 100 songs.
It is unclear what kind of deal Apple is seeking with Universal and Warner. Pandora's rate is set by a statute that covers web radio services, but it says that the rate needs to be lowered for it to remain profitable. Knowing Apple, Pandora and the other streaming music services should be afraid. Very afraid. When Apple enters a market, they play for keeps.
source: TheVerge via Pocketlint
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Streaming music? Apple needs to stream a facelift, and some killer features to ios7
3. Rayanx10 (Posts: 45; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
this june you all will see that apple got nothing new
15. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 389; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Apple will take on all the current free music streaming services, charge for it and the media and iFollowers will call it revolutionary! :/
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That stuff is getting tired dude. iFollowers iThis, and iThat. C'mon man...
18. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 389; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
what else would you like me to refer to you as? Apple has created a cult, and like all cults, the followers don't even know it :(
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's true, and I do agree with but are you using that as a simple insult to apple users, which would be the "tired"part, or are you trying to making a valid point?
20. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
first this cult you talk of isnt knew, there are those that blindly follow but its happening not just with apple, look at samsungs fanboys there just as blind
second though this whole ifollowers will call it revolutionary blah is old now. i can say the same then, samsung brings out another plastic phone instead of what many cried they wanted on here aluminium etc and they changed there tune suddenly saying samsung dont have to change the build material etc
and how can you call darkkjedi a ifollower when his original comment was saying apple needs to step up and change?
28. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well said chaotic and troll +1 to you both
24. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
But Dark is a tech lover not an iFan! He likes techs! He owns a Note2 and an iP5!
Dark Appledoesntcom classes you as an iFan cause you use to post and like Apple!
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Troll I think he feels I have to absolutely hate anything apple to be acceptable on PA
21. JohnnyBravo (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
I never thought I would be looking forward to this but I am. The reason being Pandora's recent rule change of 40 hours cap per month for free accounts over wireless. Stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do Pandora. This is knowing the 500lb gorilla is knocking at your door wanting to enter your arena.
I dont know the details of iRadio but if it is unlimited wireless streaming like Pandora used to be with Ads then see ya Pandora!
and no Im not an Apple follower just annoyed of the 40 hour cap Pandora put in place per month.
22. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 389; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
try slacker... not sure why slacker gets no love, i think their selection is only behind spotify at 13million songs... free, no limits and if you pay $3.99 you can cache over wifi nightly needing no internet connection he next day
23. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 389; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Slacker has 13million songs and by far the smallest user-base... weird, the big 4 compared:http://mashable.com/2013/02/13
25. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I wonder why Apple didn't TRADEMARK or Patent the word " i ",,,,!
Which also the word i is know as iLLuminati!
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Now you're opening up a whole different can of worms bro lol. Applluminati lmao
4. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
They are ironing it under steam press to remove skew-morphism and make it flatter .. that's a BIG facelift :D
7. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
What exactly does Apple need to need? Can you tell me the essential or "killer" feature IOS is missing? I don't usee IOS but there is no doubt it is a very solid mobile OS. As a techy I prefer android, but if I was like the average user I would pick pick IOS for its simplicity and straightforwardness.
9. Jack1192 (Posts: 35; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
Agree with you mate. I guess people are expecting something really out of the box from Apple.
Well I guess revolutionary ideas(products) don't come around so often.
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Widgets for 1. I'd like to see more customization too.
31. willard12 (Posts: 543; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Why release a new iPhone or new version of iOS? Apparently it is perfect as-is.
34. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Who said that? Personally I haven't ran across a perfect OS yet... Rite off the top of my head I can name 3 great ones though. iOS android, and wp8. All excellent all flawed, and the first two on my person at any given time.
8. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hope ios7 is a changer! But when Apple and Johnny said they want to keep all things simple, dont expect any big changes! Looks like another let down™®
13. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Johnny Johnny ..
Do we steal
Open your mouth
O Ha! Ha! Ha!
Currently they only have Android to steal from. If they can;t even do that efficiently and fast yes it would be a big let down ...
5. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Got a feeling this will be good, with Apple's huge amount of music and money in their iTunes i bet it will be solid.
6. vincelongman (Posts: 620; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I hate how iCloud only stores the music you purchased from iTunes. Please allow me to upload my music to iCloud and then stream it.
10. Jack1192 (Posts: 35; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
For that you need to subscribe to iTunes match, and that is NOT free. They charge $25 per year for that service.
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5632; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Dont google already have something like this? & pandora radio too?
14. Aeires (unregistered)
Apple's constant use of "i" is old and worn out, how about making a more creative name for it.
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 9257; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It's synonymous with the brand bro. Let me ask you a question... Do you think Samsung should change the "S" in the galaxy line, now that its hugely successful, and synonymous with Sammy and their flagship brand?
26. Aeires (unregistered)
I can see using the "i" for their devices, but for every service that gets released is starting to look silly. Are they not creative enough to come up with a cool name for new services?
Samsung is starting to wear it out as well, but at least they can say it's short for their name.
37. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
It isn't about creativity, it's about branding, if the "i" brand for Apple is still successful they won't even think of changing it.
27. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4812; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
YAWN! Can they something fresh and new?
36. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
This is fresh? Music streaming services are getting reasonably big nowadays and iTunes is facing some tough competition (Rdio, Spotify, Nokia Music etc). If iTunes (the largest music library/store) makes a streaming service it will be BIG. Apple needs to have more services, and this is a must needed one.
38. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4812; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
YAWN! Can they make something fresh and new?
(Sorry, I was in a rush when typing the comment)
40. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4812; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Streaming music service is just old, and my meaning is the same thing as the #2 comment from darkkjedii.
(Just go to the #2 comment.)
29. roscuthiii (Posts: 1712; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
"When Apple enters a market, they play for keeps." - Which is exactly why they should tell them and their $0.06 to screw off.
30. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
Knowing apple they will charge 20$/mo for this service and their loyal customers will hop right on board even though there's plenty of free alternatives already available.