An improved Android Market is here
We told you about the Android developers fiasco, but in truth this is going to be a dev-friendly update. First of all, the refund period comes down from 24 hours to 15 mins. That's a consequence of the fact that developers often raise objections that people download their games, complete them and then use the refund option. Furthermore, according to the official Android Developers Blog, stats prove that most of the app refundment happen in the first few minutes after the purchase.
Until now, developers were limited to uploading files with a maximum size of 25MB, but that number is now doubled to 50MB. As Gingerbread is more game-oriented, this comes as a good news for both devs and end consumers.
It seems that a few Androiders are already enjoying the new Android Marketplace. If you are very eager to taste it, but haven't received the update yet, you can try to force an update if you go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Market > Clear data, which worked for us just fine, although some of our readers reported that it didn't have any effect with them. If this happens to be the case with you too, remember that patience is a virtue and bear in mind that it should come soon. But if you are one of these guys who are already enjoying the new Android Market, tell us with your comments your first impressions.
source: AndroidDevelopersBlog via Android and Me
1. sleepyjohnny posted on 11 Dec 2010, 06:05 0 1
your instructions to force the update did absolutely nothing....
2. Phullofphil posted on 11 Dec 2010, 07:06 0 1
nothing for me also with droid x rooted with z4root
5. Karimeyada (unregistered) posted on 11 Dec 2010, 09:39 0 1
for me too, nothin on htc desire
15. bayu (unregistered) posted on 12 Dec 2010, 20:31 0 1
I use HTC wildfire and the market it's update it self...
soor for my bad english
3. Tom (unregistered) posted on 11 Dec 2010, 08:05 0 0
The instructions did nothing for me (HTC Evo, Stock 2.2)
4. joshypoo (unregistered) posted on 11 Dec 2010, 08:36 0 0
I just went to system updates and it popped up, Droid X
6. pedrocruz (unregistered) posted on 11 Dec 2010, 12:15 0 0
I had downloaded the market from XDA developers site.. and it's great! nice features and it looks way more professional..
7. protozeloz posted on 11 Dec 2010, 13:44 0 0
saw it in my friends phone looks awesome, ill wait patiently till the moment mine goes like that
8. mr. droid posted on 11 Dec 2010, 13:44 0 0
on samsung fascinate, when i go into the manage apps, i dont see the "all" selection anywhere.
10. chipkopp posted on 11 Dec 2010, 14:48 0 0
I also went to system updates and received the download on my Droid X.
11. frankson (unregistered) posted on 11 Dec 2010, 15:18 0 0
didnt work for me
will check on XDA
12. Thump3rDX17 posted on 11 Dec 2010, 18:05 0 0
i followed your instructions and tried to force an update on my Droid 2, my sister's Droid Inc. and my Dad's Droid X after today's update. nothing yet. i'll continue trying a few hours at a time and get back.
13. networkdood posted on 12 Dec 2010, 10:09 0 0
Download SGS TOOLS and go to UPGRADE STOCK APPS, then choose NEW MARKET APP.
19. Davep129 (unregistered) posted on 13 Dec 2010, 23:14 0 0
It says I need 2.2 but Samsung hasn't even released Froyo for the Captivate yet...
14. lenox713 (unregistered) posted on 12 Dec 2010, 18:13 0 0
Looks very nice, but aint no new category for widgets or live wallpapers as it claim to have.
17. mr. droid posted on 13 Dec 2010, 01:24 0 0
i think i see something for themes.. or was this there before?
18. Thump3rDX17 posted on 13 Dec 2010, 12:41 0 0
i just got tired of waiting for it to just come up and went to droid-life and got the .apk for all of my family's handsets. i haven't noticed any categorization changes but i like the new landscape layout. ^-^
20. Master (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 05:29 0 0
worked like a charm.
i have made: Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Market > Clear data
and then started the market