The OnePlus One confirmed to have a 5.5-inch 1080p display, is still smaller than the Xperia Z1?
6. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
JDI Display is a company that makes displays for smartphones. Their displays have been used in Nexus 5, HTC One, Droid DNA/Butterfly, Butterfly S etc.
11. eli577 (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
In te Nexus 5? Aren't those being manufactured be LG?
25. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
7. FoneAddict (Posts: 215; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Japan Display Inc. A joint venture between Sony, Hitachi and Toshiba.
8. Xenaz (Posts: 120; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
JDI - Japan Display Incorporation, a joint venture of Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony
17. Deaconclgi (Posts: 395; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
And I am through taking your messages. My name is Kokijima. Not Sony, Sanyo, Toshiba.
9. Finalflash (Posts: 2100; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
This could be the revolution in smart phones that we need, a phone designed and supported by enthusiasts should give us something better than corporations.
3. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
That's pretty impressive, if not surprising. I wonder when we'll see a 5 incher with super thin bezels.
12. MrKoles (Posts: 349; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Alcatel OneTouch Idol+ (1,9 mm side-bezels)
26. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
It's Idol X not Idol+. There is also the Idol X+ but that has thicker bezels vs Idol X.
16. pwnarena (Posts: 1033; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
there is. and it looks ridiculous. it's the sharp aquos 320sh
it's 5" vs 5.2" and look at the size difference. it's thicker, though.
22. JMartin22 (Posts: 1583; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
That phone looks ridiculously ugly in my opinion. I don't see what the appeal of Sony phones are quite frankly.
19. vincelongman (Posts: 2544; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I hope they make another model with a 5" screen with bezels smaller than the Xperia ZL, that would IMO perfect
10. HTCOE (Posts: 615; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
i assume the bezels are edged around the device instead of in a squared center portion instead the entire center of the phone is a screen leaving just a ring of bezel around the edges which is pretty interesting... i predict no front facing camera nor speakers front facing nor buttons...i wonder where the sensors would be located if it even has any for notifications. anyways can't wait to see it
15. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1059; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
They claim it will be "the perfect phone". How would it be "the perfect phone" without a front facing camera? (Unless it has a rotating camera)
13. Taters (Posts: 4374; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
That's not impressive because the Xperia Z1 was huge and way bigger than a 5 inch screened phone should be.
21. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It is impressive, because it's still smaller than the Note 2 or Optimus G Pro by at least 6mm in height and 2mm in width with the same size display.
23. Taters (Posts: 4374; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
The Note 2 is ancient and the G2 is much more impressive for its size. 5.2 inch screen that is way smaller than the Z1
24. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
If this device is smaller than the Z1, it would be very similar in size to the G2 with a 0.3" larger screen. The G2 is 4mm shorter and 3mm narrower than the Z1, so the OnePlus One is obviously going to be somewhere between there. Being within 3mm in size of the G2 while having a 7.6mm larger display is impressive considering the G2's bezels.
27. Taters (Posts: 4374; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
4mm shorter and 3mm narrower is a lot. Which means the Xperia Z1 should have had a 5.5 inch screen for its size. So beating that slightly isn't too impressive.
That 5inch Sharp phone that is close to the 5s size is impressive though. It looks ugly but its impressive. Anything Xperia Z1 size is not impressive though. That's just a huge brick.
28. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I never said it wasn't a lot, but the entire point of the article is to point out that this device is obviously smaller than the Z1, which means it has to be within 3mm in height and width of the G2, but with a 7.6mm larger display, which is impressive. It would have to have equal or even smaller bezels than the G2 to achieve that.
18. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Interesting reflection on the back of the Sony.
Wonder if that is a clue itself.
20. vuyonc (Posts: 678; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
I'm very intrigued but hopefully durability wasn't sacrificed. Super-slim bezels are all fine and dandy until the thing snaps in half or causes accidental screen taps