Samsung awarded a design patent for a vertically flexed smartphone à la LG G Flex, dockable tablets and a number of others
A vertically flexed Samsung phone
Four, possibly upcoming Samsung tablets
Another four possible future Samsung smartphones
1. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I guess we'll have to wait till 2015 to see this appear in our clear round eyes.
19. Ashoaib (Posts: 1926; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Thats the apple's way, to get the patent of anything possible. These patents seem like a cheap pony circus. Period
2. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
there is no improvment on samsung's design department , look at htc,sony and nokia for good desing
3. JMartin22 (limited) (Posts: 973; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
You're just saying this because you have the mentality that Samsung is the big, bad evil Apple of Android and the rest of these vendors are underdogs. Tell me what is so great about the alternative's design language?
5. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nobody in the Android world are underdogs.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8240; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Are you kidding me? Samsung accounts for how many devices on the Android front? Thank you.
11. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
All I can say is many. But that doesn't mean that other manufacturers in the Android world are underdogs, they can get strong if they have the chance.
18. tech2 (Posts: 2036; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
You just gave the definition of underdog -.-
17. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
when I look other phones I see good little details... yes there is one shape: bar, but others managed to design good looking devices...are there people who bougth galaxies for design ?
20. maccess (Posts: 598; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
Seriously.. i never seen any bad design on galaxies phones.. actually galaxy series is one of the most comfortable phone to be hold and they really have good ergonomic.. the problem is people never really like the material that samsung use ( thin shinny polycarbonate back cover that looks cheap ) other than that i see zero flaw in their design..
25. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 199; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
The shiny polycarbonate 920 was lauded for its' design and durability, it's the phone's choice of texture design. Also, Samsung has the same design language from the Rex 60 to the Note 3 which is horrible because there is no differentiation in that regard. If you notice all of the other flagships look and feel 10x better than their subordinates because that's where the OEM wants you to look.
31. maccess (Posts: 598; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
Feels 10x better but i have to lose the abilty to swap my battery and couldn't expand my memory like i do with my htc one right now.. sorry but no more next time..
4. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Samsung has improved their designs on their Galaxies, just look at the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. The next round will be the Galaxy S5, hope it can flex it's muscles to let those Samsung haters drop their jaws.
13. h3nryvn (Posts: 25; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
ehhhhh for me not much different for design.
if u give any name of samsung product, i may now the spec of it. but if i juz see the tablet of samsung without knowing the name.... all looks same
the phone also applicable... except note series has pen
15. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
what do you suggest them to change??? Should they start produce cube design or something? I quess the main design is already given that you can not change as you, me and everybody like these form factors that are actually same. If you care about a degree of rounded corner, or button here and there....you can not drastically change but maby build quality and some small pieces around camera lens, buttons area etc...
HTC made nice ONE, Sony is rubbish looking from top to button, NOKIA is also a brick that looks better than SONY. If the S5, next HTC ONE, will look the same i wont kill myself, cause the design/ form factor actually work for looots of people. They might be forced to use Alloy or something, but what actually can be changed so drastically over current designs???
28. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
By the looks of it, it seems that some people's mentalities will always be "It's made of Mayan chief bones? Best design evar!" - even if it somehow gives you carpal tunnel syndrome due to horrible ergonomics and shape.
Exaggerating, of course.
6. buccob (Posts: 1409; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Why the hell didn't Asus get patents for docking tablets (and phones)???
Ever since the first Asus Android Tablet they have been making Transformers... I do not get the logic of all this...
8. Mian.Shahzad (Posts: 23; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)
2nd design for bsmartphone looks good, and samsung is the one who making some design changes Apple is just putting their phones in bigger cases :P
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8240; Member since: 14 May 2012)
5S is the best looking device on the market imo.
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 11131; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Merry Xmas Smurf. How was the holiday
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8240; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Likewise Mr. Jedii. It was great. Hennessy and Coca Cola is a no no though haha. What about you?
36. buccob (Posts: 1409; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
well the Z1 compact is sexier for me. Specially allowing color options in high class materials
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8240; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The first few pictures for the phone design parents look identical to the Galaxy S Blaze 4G that came out early 2012 for T-Mobile. This phone is basically a Nokia 3310 in terms of durability.
21. roozbeh101 (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
what is that?! a telescope?!
or a boner-camera?! :D
24. kryme (Posts: 140; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
its funny person talk about samsung design wen apple havent change there design since iphone 4.... atlease if u look at the s3 and the s4 u can see a change screen got bigger screen phone is smaller and thinner..... tell me the changes in design between the iphone 5 and 5s????? am waiting
29. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Galaxy S = little bar of soap.
Galaxy S2 = bigger bar of soap, thinner and much more squared than predecessor
Galaxy S3 = started to get larger and curvier, less squared
Galaxy S4 = larger, way thinner and seemingly setting the curvy design as a trend for its line
I just hope the S5 will look as different as the S2 did when it got introduced. Anyway, I don't mind the Notes getting thinner and getting larger screens while maintaining their current size, though. :D
34. Taters (Posts: 2918; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Eh the GS3 was easily the biggest departure any company has ever made in design. In fact it was so different fanboys laughed at it at first for not being symmetrical at the top and bottom but it passed simply because it was very ergonomical and improved in hand feel.
I wasn't a huge fan of the design myself but you can't say it wasn't different.
30. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
It's called not fixing something that ain't broke....
I very much like the 5s design... It's the same with the beautiful Nokia design... Why change what works well?
27. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I guess it's called fighting fire with fire. :D
32. mianhae445 (Posts: 8; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
3rd Set, Photos 10-14: Isn't that LG's Optimus GK? :O
33. Taters (Posts: 2918; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
They better not pull an Apple and sue LG for the g flex that came out first.
Too bad Apple and the retarded us jurors set a precedent where it doesn't matter if your device came out first and it just matters who patented first and how big your company is in the US.
Great job itards! Now LG might get sued just because Samsung can....
35. JaqaveousLewis (Posts: 4; Member since: 28 Dec 2013)
Wow I would love to beta test a phone like this man Samsung phones are getting better and better