Rovio finally moving beyond Angry Birds
Don't get us wrong, there is a fair chance that the game will be good and possibly even fun, but Angry Birds is a once in a generation type of phenomenon, so Rovio is in a position where it is nearly impossible to avoid the "sophomore slump" (which really means expectations are going to be far too high to ever live up to it.) We'll keep an eye out though, because we're definitely interested to see what Rovio comes up with next.
1. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
your right michael; i cant ever see rovio breaking from the angry birds' mold. but the other company examples you used (nintendo and namco) went on to make plenty more great games. maybe rovio can do for phone gaming what nintendo did for consoles or namco did for arcades. its a longshot, but IMO phone gaming could use a revolution.
2. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2657; Member since: 26 May 2011)
The #1 revolution I want to see with mobile gaming is for devs to imagine another level structure apart from copying Angry Birds. Not every game needs to have various worlds broken into ~20 stages each with 3 stars to collect.
3. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
it seems that its either that, a farmville clone, or tower defence. its almost as annoying as the constant glut of shooters for consoles. originality people, originality!
9. HGMIV (Posts: 51; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
I'll bet you my lunch money Rovio's gonna come out with a TD as their next IP.
12. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
birds vs pigs? yea.. im surprised that hasnt come out yet actually. .lol. would be an easy conversion.
14. BioTek (Posts: 53; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Quality should be more important than originality. Having both quality and originality should be even more important than having just one of the two.
15. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
bah.. ive been playing games for well.. since video games were invented. my first system was the intellivision and then atari.. you know.. way back in the day. there are thousands of high quality titles out there to play. it doesnt matter how high quality it is if its constantly the same thing.. eventually it gets boring. Its like watching Lord of the Rings 3000 times and each time Frodo is wearing a different costume. Neat for a few times, then its just.... bleeeh.
19. Forsaken77 (Posts: 547; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Th Intellivision was my first console also... lmao. It had a phone dial-pad and a whirlly disc for the terrible controller. I even bought the "Intellivision Lives" game on Xbox Live just so I could experience those games again. I found out that those games were much more fun back then. They shoulda been left in the past. As a gamer, I'm totally on board with originality over anything else. Everything has that "been there, done that" design to it. It's all the same no matter how many coats of paint you slap on it. It seems these companies are all trying to play it safe by beating these franchises to death instead of exploring new ideas. Sometimes I feel like all the original ideas have been used and it's always gonna be rehashed crap from now on :(
4. Stinger2U (Posts: 16; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Not a fan of these newer Rovio games. i used to enjoy their games wayback when I owned SE K750i. I have especially fond memories of their Darkest Fear series.
5. LoneShaolin (Posts: 307; Member since: 14 Jan 2012)
You have to admit that Contra for mobile phones would be dope.
6. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
what kinda smartphone do you have? They have NES emulators for cheap (if not free). you can get roms all over the place
7. LoneShaolin (Posts: 307; Member since: 14 Jan 2012)
ATT GS2. I've never looked into roms since I had my iPhail
8. ddxmms (Posts: 141; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
they might move to unhappy birds..for change.
10. m.garz (Posts: 61; Member since: 08 Oct 2010)
Angry Birds gets boring to a point.. just saying
11. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1563; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
and annoying when you get stuck on one stupid level
13. CivicSi89 (Posts: 348; Member since: 23 Jul 2011)
Da da da da..... da da da da... da da da da da da da da da da da da.... SQUAWK!!!
16. kanagadeepan (Posts: 638; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Rovio took right decision at right time... If they still hang on Angry Birds for say 6 - 8 months, all will get bored and move away....
17. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Air penguin is original and has a brilliant gameplay