Report: Japanese sales of the Apple iPhone 5s dropped 85% in April
One reason for the decline in Japanese iPhone sales is the 5% to 8% hike in sales tax that took effect on April 1st. Combined, total iPhone sales added up to 1.8 million units in January and February, with a decline to 700,000 units in April following the sales tax increase. During the first quarter, 8 million Apple iPhones were sold in Japan, 18% of the global sales total of 43.7 million units that were rung up in the three month period.
In the Japanese sales standings for the week ended May 25th, KDDI's 16GB Apple iPhone 5s was the highest ranking version of Apple's smartphone, although it dropped from fourth place to eighth place from the previous week. The same exact model sold at SoftBank, dropped from third to ninth position. The top two selling smartphones in Japan for the week, were Sony Xperia models.
Last month, the Apple iPhone 5s sold 570,000 units, a decline of 85% from the prior month
1. Cesar (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
release already the iPhone 6 with the 4.7" screen :D
21. Finalflash (Posts: 1540; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Losing sales....that's what they're doing. Unless you mean the Japanese because yes they definitely know what they're doing. Also, can we get numbers for other smartphones and if they also catastrophically tanked, because if they didn't then that whole tax hike excuse is completely garbage speculation. I assume Apple gear wasn't the only thing hit by the taxes.
40. rallyguy (Posts: 528; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
It wouldn't surprise me if this was looked into and wasn't reported because it would not favor Apple. Look who wrote this article.
3. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2434; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
It isn't just the tiny low resolution screen. It's the haphazard mess that is iOS 7.
And it's the fact that Sony, Sharp, and others are delivering great phones in Japan. iPhone may be easier to use than Android, but it's also a dull stagnant world.
5. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4039; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
How did they manage to sell 3.2million units, wow.
I thought japanese were smart not getting inflicted into Apples world of lies and BS…..
22. Finalflash (Posts: 1540; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
They aren't all smart, that is just a stereotype. They have their iFans (euphemism) just like every other place.
36. Leonis (Posts: 334; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
While you sitting here accusing all iphone users to be dumb. Sony sharp and other brands are selling good in Japan because they are loyal to home brandings. Thats a fact. Nokia sells sh*t loads of phones in Finland. Sweden used to sell many from Ericsson and Sonyericsson. iphone got a strong brand recognition in america.
46. PAPINYC (Posts: 2227; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I wouldn't get defensive about dumb, dumbness or dumbest based on your eloquent post.
41. -box- (Posts: 3729; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Sadly Japan has some of, if not the, largest percentage of IOS devices per capita, IIRC.
49. Droidrapist (Posts: 186; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Were you masturbating while you typed that? Sounds like hating apple makes you ejaculate. Its just technology idiot. LOL People buy what they like not what your troll face thinks on the internet.
13. mistertimi (Posts: 73; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Or the fact that the new iPhone will be out in a month..
I'm an android man, I dislike Apple and all of their products, but goddamit simple logic states people are willing to wait a month before upgrading, when the newer model will be released. This happens EVERY year. Logic my friend. It's not rocket science
15. tedkord (Posts: 4459; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
A month? I think your understanding of time is flawed.
34. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2434; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
This fall off in iPhone sales seems like it is more in sync with the recent production of great new phones from Sony, Sharp, LG, Samsung, etc. than it is related to the still many months away iPhone 6 release.
44. refillable (Posts: 591; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
I doubt most of the fans know when exactly the iP6 releases. Yet if they know when it is, it's still a long way. There is still at least 3 months to go (Depending on where you live in terms of availability).
26. stealthd (Posts: 927; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Haphazard mess? You have no idea what you're talk about. Stop being a hyperbolic fanboy
29. Heatfan316 (Posts: 352; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Stings doesn't it? That everyone else doesn't feel the same way as you. Just deal with it!
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2416; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Awesome! I hope Japanese smartphones will gain more sales in their home land! The beautiful Nippon
8. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4039; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Looks like japanese are not loyal to their own country brand..?
7. RushFan2112 (Posts: 14; Member since: 16 Jun 2011)
I find it funny to read all of these articles about, "What we'd like to see in iOS 8", and it's a list of things already available on the Android OS. What's funny is I can't think of a single thing on iOS that I need for my Android phone...it seems it's already there.
25. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 841; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Yes, and in most cases, half-assed on that Android phone. I love how Android fans think the iPhone followed Android, instead of the other way around.
Nothing truly original happened on Android until 4.0, and even then, they followed with such killer features as "folders," that almost every other mobile OS had been using for years. The only thing Android fans can point to is notifications, as if there weren't prior implementations, when Apple's notifications more closely resemble Palm's.
27. tedkord (Posts: 4459; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You're like the real world Groundhogs Day. You wake up every day and it's 2009.
37. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Damn.....I have to use this......ice cold.
28. fzacek (Posts: 1352; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Dude, just stop. Android is awesome and you're just butthurt because iOS isn't...
38. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I should have stopped reading sooner...but I definitely stopped at:
"Nothing truly original happened on Android until 4.0"
What truly original happened on iOS and the iPhone? Android and iOS both are following in others footsteps.
10. PBXtech (Posts: 969; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Looks more like the last months represented by 3 and 4 are anomalies than anything else. Other than that, the chart shows a slight decline over time for the non-5S models, but not anything major. I'm more curious to what caused the spike and why it didn't last but for the one time period reported.
11. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4039; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Good great game that anomaly is.
12. tettech (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
It's inevitable for Apple to release a large display screen, because a 4-inch smartphone is a declining demand.
50. marcski07 (Posts: 296; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
maybe, but still there are alot of people who are satisfied in small screen sizes 4-inch is right, but 4.7 would be perfect i think? 4.5 is much better for me coz i held one, the xperia z1 compact, perfect fit for my hands, 1 hand operation, don't like the idea of carrying your phone and operate it with two hands, it make me feel restricted. i want my other hand to be free for me to enable to do multi tasking...
14. V1nC3 (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Correct ! N°10 ... mydocomo.com/onlineshop/ranking/ranking.html
16. Amir1 (Posts: 253; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
japanese hype over iphone is slowed. they realize iphones are closed and boring. back to sony, sharp, etc. :-)
30. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Sony or Sharp?... you sir/miss/it made me laugh...
31. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4039; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Sony are big players from 70s
Apple made it to the top cause they were a brand popularity offering medicore products, while charging them an arm and leg price just for the logo.
Their mp3 is POS quality sound, even other Mp3 Oems provide better digital high Khz and low DB sampling rates.
Yea let's recall ip3 plastic scrap, and you talk about premium materials. Do you know what premium is?
The only great thing Apple has is good quality apps and intergration having running ios on all their products, thats all.
They provide jack when it comes to feautres.
It's like a car Pos Porsche old ugly nasty looking car which when you drive it it drives like a cheap banger with no luxury inside it nor does cruise like other car grand cruisers.
47. PAPINYC (Posts: 2227; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Why, I remember growing up in the 1930's, sitting in the family parlour, listening to Tchaikovsky on our trusty Sony gramophone.
But, enough with the nostalgia, can't we all revel in Apple's iCrash!
33. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4039; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
So your saying Apple big nasty ugly disgusting bezels look better than Sony Tv's
Your saying Sony Zseries are rubbbbish and Macbooks are better, …… wtf Sony Zseries laptops are only affordable buy rich and fat cat managers with fat pays, entrepreneur uses Zseries CarbonFiber laptops
You are spouting nonsense
17. rkoforever90 (Posts: 65; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
why on earth japanese need to buy this over priced junk when the home company sony produce top notch device like z2 and z1 compact.
20. networkdood (Posts: 6260; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Good point - Japan produces some beautiful smartphone that we never see here...
24. GreekGeek (Posts: 600; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
they have small hands plus they are social status conscious, I couldn't think of any besides that
19. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 142; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
Those CHUMPS are saving up stacks of cash so that they can enjoy the honor of being thoroughly RIPPED-OFF by the upcoming iKrap 6bs...
23. livyatan (Posts: 675; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Gosh I hope this is the first sign that the insane iPhone monopoly phenomenon in Japan is coming to an end.
Looks like Japanese have finally noticed the existence of the Xperia Z1 compact
32. GreekGeek (Posts: 600; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
I bought the z1 compact a month ago as a gift for my wife but sadly, the screen is one of the worst I've seen in an ips panel.
with all these x reality Bravia hullabaloo nonsense, Sony is the worst when it comes to screen tech
43. livyatan (Posts: 675; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
I've seen the screen too, even compared it with the iPhone's.
Nothing wrong with it. In fact, it is better than iPhone's screen.
Have you removed the inbuilt screen protector?
Maybe its already scratched to death
35. billgates (limited) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
I think Apple can create some incredibly sexy hardware it's just too damn small and ios isn't for me. Prices need to be put in check as well.
42. Rocksteady (unregistered)
"I think Apple can create some incredibly sexy hardware"
Are you serious?
"I think Samsung and Sharp can create some incredibly sexy hardware" is what you meant to say, hint: screen and processor, and maybe other stuff that we do not know about.
48. Droidrapist (Posts: 186; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Looks like sales doubled a month before so the people that WERE gonna buy on April just bought them in March... doesn't seem to crazy of a graph.