Nokia’s next camera superphone is coming: here's what to expect
The name of the actual handset is not yet known. It initially leaked out under the Nokia EOS moniker, but the latest report speculate it could end up being called Nokia Lumia 1020 or even Nokia Lumia 909, following in the footsteps of the 808 PureView.
What seems certain though is that early on Thursday morning, Nokia’s keynote will show the future for smartphone cameras and the device it unveils could be a big push for the Windows Phone platform to finally start getting traction.
So what’s the fuss all about? The Nokia EOS aka Lumia 1020 aka Lumia 909 has leaked out countless times and here is how those whispers picture it:
- a 4.5 inch AMOLED HD+ PureMotion screen
- a 768 x 1280 resolution, pixel density of 332ppi
- Adreno 320 graphics
- 41-megapixel camera with Xenon flash and single LED
- stereo audio recording
- 2000mAh battery
- polycarbonate body coming in at least four colors: black, yellow, red and white
The camera technology is its key feature, of course. The 41-megapixel camera has the same huge sensor we saw on the Symbian-based Nokia 808 PureView, but this time Nokia seems to have managed to shrink it down in a reasonably thin body. The big sensor should make it possible to shoot noise-free images in low light and it’d support up to 6 times of lossless zoom.
In addition to great hardware, Nokia and Microsoft might have finally found a way to bring awesome camera apps like Instagram to Windows Phone. Many people are using Instagram not just for its great vintage filters but for the community, and that’s something Windows Phone is missing right now. Nokia’s new Pro Cam app will allegedly be the default camera application on the new smartphone.
What about its launch? Good news is that Nokia is allegedly ready to pull its act together and the release date for the Nokia EOS should be soon after its official unveiling, possibly in August.
We’ll be covering the event live as it happens, and you can also watch Nokia’s livestream at Nokia Conversations. The event kicks off on Thursday, July 11th, 11:00am ET | 8:00am PT.
Nokia’s next camera superphone is coming: here's what to expect
1. tiara6918 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I'm highly anticipating Nokia's future generation camera technology. Hopefully this phone would help the company regain its reputation it once had
12. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 347; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
"What seems certain though is that early on Thursday morning, Nokia’s keynote will show the future for smartphone cameras"
I love that.
17. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
nokia will gain reputation when wp upgraded... It will take at least 2 years i think.
21. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
NO.gdr3 is 4 or 5 months away.it will bring full hd and quad core like s800 support
79. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1145; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
then add 3 months for new phones preinstalled w/ gdr3 and updates for gdr3. then add 5 months until those phones are available worldwide.
then add 2 months until the lumia line / windows phone os is now selling very well and known by most people.
1 yr, 3months
60. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 273; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
They will gain reputation once they switch to Fandroid.
64. akki20892 (Posts: 3555; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
it just 2 Days left dude com'on.....!!!
51. Potao.rises (banned) (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 Jul 2013)
Nokia is leading the camera industry since the N-series.
Every tech site has praised their cameras.
They will be king again soon.. WP8 is growing.
70. Aviiiiis (Posts: 8; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
I think only a better camera option can't help of Nokia to regain its reputation because there is BLINK FEED, ZOI, SENSE 5 BY HTC. BRAVIA ENGINE 2 TRILUMINOS DISPLAY BY SONY , TOUCH VIZ AND HIGHLY INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY BY SAMSUNG so Nokia has to do somthing more innovative
2. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
This is how you do Phamera. See Samsung? It's not that hard to make a slim Phamera right?
Good job Nokia!
9. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 822; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Lol, where were you in 2008-2009? Samsung know exactly how to make a great camera phone with phones like the Pixon12, Innov8, G800 etc... Heck even the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note Androids have had the best Cameras of each year in Android.
11. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
and all of them were hurt very badly from nokia
20. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
its not sammys lenses.they are manufactured by sony.so no need to brag much of sammy
48. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 822; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Nokia also buy sensor from Sony. A camera is not just about its sensor and lense, it's also down to the image processing that happens before and after the pic is taken, that depends HEAVILY on Samsung doing a great job with their SW which they have, same with Nokia.
61. x_maly_x (Posts: 68; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
"Nokia buy sensor from Sony" Lol :D good joke...
65. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I don't think so...even if Nokia knows what to do with it, sony doesn't (apple and samsung bought them to and the final execution was much better than sony's)
71. AndyM (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Well, sort of. Sony licence from the same company - Carl Zeiss. Nokia also licence from them. Sony make the Zeiss ZA lenses but there are many other lenses out there. The lenses made for Nokia are custom made by Zeiss in collaboration with Nokia.
78. x_maly_x (Posts: 68; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
but the lens is a different thing than the sensor....
43. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Yeah, all those Samsung cameras weren't that great: MyNokiaBlog did a comparison late last week about them. Granted, it's from a pro-Nokia site, but the info isn't any less valid.
[my nokia blog dot com] /2013/07/04/history-repeating-itself-nokia-and-samsungs-camera-war/
Why is my nokia blog dot com (all one word, and . for dot) a banned word?!
62. akki20892 (Posts: 3555; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i have not heard those names dude. what are those phones......!!! LOL
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
Oh please please please, not another overkilled device....
people tired to pay extra for same old experience, people who want wp8 so badly, they already bought lumia 720 and 520 in the 1st places....
45. Ruisleipä (Posts: 31; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Replace wp8 with "android" and lumia 720 with "a nexus", and 520 with "gs4". Now read it.
66. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Wendy just keeps getting dumber by the minute...
8. haseebzahid (Posts: 1833; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
hope its their but thats not coming soon for 41mpx it will increase the frame size again too much
14. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 347; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Loseless zoom + OIS = Ultimate Cameraphone
5. SIGPRO (Posts: 465; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Nokia shut up and take my money! This monster will kill all other cameraphones!
6. Kurai (unregistered)
Yep, but only in the camera department . . . sad but true . . .
15. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 347; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Nokia's are famous for quality, durability, customer support, industrial designs and so on.
19. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
but nokia lost its popularity. First nokia should regain that popularity because most of ppeople care brand name not specs.
35. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 347; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Nokia has very strong brand but wp sucks and people won't give a s**t for devices running wp. Atleast everybody I know hates wp.
42. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
So your point is, what, exactly? They're still the same brand name, which was the most popular worldwide for years, they don't put bleeding-edge processors and such in the phones, and they've built a memorable and consistent model range with the Lumia series. All they need is sales volume and they'll be - popularity-wise - where they were just a few years ago.
52. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 347; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
no not the bleeding edge specs but just open Windows Phone to wider audience and not just the people who feel shy using their phone.
Windows Phone has a long way to catch up with android in features, hell even Android 2.3 is better than wp8. And why do they limit the no. of processors to just one or two chips which are only Snapdragon.
Nokia has been limited by Windows Phone and IMO they will still be under 10% in 2015
7. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1100; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Nokia what's up with your Windows 8 tablets. your Windows 41 Pixel camera/Smartphone is a
great combo device but folks like me who already own a Nokia Lumia smartphone are looking to see what your Nokia Windows 8 tablet has to offer?
10. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 822; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I'm excited about this, I hope it's what the Lumia800, 900 and 920 were meant to be as none of them have done much for Nokia.
16. harigrg33 (Posts: 159; Member since: 20 May 2013)
Whts the use of havin 41mp on phne whn u can hab the ssme quality pic wit 8mp or 4mp ultra pix... nokia need platform like android or more day to day useful app in its win8 phn..... or else r.i.p nokia
23. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
for nth time,they wont go for lagdroid.theyre gonna rip?no.theyre gonna rip off other oems.just wiat and watch.
34. sbw44 (Posts: 398; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
The fact that you comparing 8mp and ultra pixels with PureView just shows how stupid you are! Go look up what Nokia really use the 41mp for before you make such a stupid comment
44. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
It's called oversampling. There is more detail in an 8mp picture taken with that 41mp sensor than there is with a standard 8mp... or even a 4up taken with the HTC One. Also, it allows for lossless digital zoom. Also, there are plenty of day to day useful apps on WP8.
69. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
buhahahahh:d you made my day...the same qualitty ultrapkxels and PureView....Christ
here´s a tip. Zoom your ultrapixel photo and tell me what you see:D
my God...people like you are disgrace for humanity
72. AndyM (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Do some research on how PureView works and you'll see how good 41mp is when downscaled to 8mp compared to normal 8mp snaps.
76. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
and what are these day to day useful apps???? Btw these quadcores and octacores are just gimmick . Games is what they will support most.. Well if ur nt a facebook, twitter, instagram addict then keep using ur medieval period camera phone. Get a life.
24. sergiobr (Posts: 425; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Waiting for something with Android inside. WP ... NO way ! Motorola X or Sony Honami.
25. FlushGordon (unregistered)
I noticed there are Only 4 people commenting (with different handles) on every Nokia /Lumia/EOS thread
Nokia is so poor they couldn't even pay some shills to spew positives to their product? Probably because the CAMERA is the only thing they've got?
Work on some new ideas NOKIA!!! the Camera is already an outdated necessity
26. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
care to explain uniqeness of your oem?
30. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Dunno where those guts are coming from. First of all, the fluidity of their devices are on par with the latest handsets nowadays. Secondly, the durability of their products are unparalleled, that's how you make great products. Third, they always bring something new on the market/platform. No, not just gimmicky features but hardware innovations. Fourth, when it comes to customer service only apple can match nokia. Give me an OEM that has a great after sale support after 2 years.
Dont tell that camera is only the thing they've got because as far as the OS is concerned, nokia always brings their A-game when producing their flagship/hero devices, heck even in their lowest of ends products, e.g. asha 501.
THey always market the camera on their phones because obviously, they always have something to brag on that department. Not just gimmicky features.
41. applesauce (banned) (Posts: 165; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Not sure if it's a poor thing, probably more of an integrity thing. They don't want, no need, paid shills.
54. ANANDALTER (Posts: 123; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
nokia has real fans, not like some cheap plastic made/paid up fans
28. mottykels (Posts: 372; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Im so excited July 11 please come earlier :P
29. FlushGordon (unregistered)
year 2014 : 50 MP pureview with mega ois (the rest of the specsheet still the same)
year 2015 : 65 mp pureview with mega ois (the rest of the specsheet still the same)
year 2016 : 80 mp pureview with mega ois (the rest of the specsheet still the same)
31. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
80MP on a sensor equal to DSLR in size. I'm in. Provided they manage to put it in a phone without making it bulky.
32. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Well, you should have bought a pc and installed it with android if specs is all of your concern.
33. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
well you should have bought a dslr in the first place if camera is all you care
38. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Wow. Haha. We're actually arguing about this, eh? A great camera on a phone is a great help to people to capture moments and everything in great details that, at the same time could have a phone. If all you want are specs, that's really not practical,especially when the os itself can be handled on lower specs. Seriously.