Microsoft wants you to trade-in your used iPhone 4/4s or Galaxy SII for a free Lumia 1020 or 1520
1. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
I'm no Nokia fan and never will be but, heeeeyyy go for it (to 4/4s users) not s2 cause that phone still rocks
2. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Rather have an S3, than an S2, so if I had either of these 2 yr old+ phones - I would trade them for a new phone - at worst, if I did not like the new Nokia phablet, I could sell it on ebay...
58. sgodsell (Posts: 2658; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
The 1520 or 1320 should not be called phablets. WP has no tablet capabilities what so ever. In fact the 1520 and 1320 will function exactly the same as a 520, except for the display size will give you more tiles.
3. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
You're not a Nokia fan, and obviously not to fond of iPhones, but you say the S2 still rocks?
Come on,,, even you have to admit that sounds a little too biased.. Really?
6. SleepingOz (unregistered)
It does! Sure, its specs is a lil outdated now but the SII is one of the best Android handset ever made.
9. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
I'd say it is the best Android ever..It turned Samsung into dominating force.
The GSII and HTC Desire were real hero products for Android in general
10. sabretigger (Posts: 24; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Very much agreed. Had both the desire and s2 up until last month when it was replaced by moto g for the mean time. Still missing my s2. Swaying towards a z1 compact now having played around with one.
15. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
Microsoft is really desperate ....
Drop phones with Android and they do not have to give away the phones
Their OS is really handicapped
20. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
This is an advertising trick from Microsoft, they aren't desperate since WP sales are increasing by the day. And have you ever used a WP ?
30. mousesports (Posts: 272; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
we know the story about samasugi fans .... so we dont care and move away from this news ... SAMASUGI DROIDS FANS . NOKIA FTW
17. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Right! SII was my first droid. Switched from the N8, it was like waking up from a terrible nightmare.
26. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Sure I might be biased but that was the device that made Sammy where it is now, so it is a history in my heart that I'll never forget.
45. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Not really biased, it's still a great phone. I gave mine to a co-worker when I upgraded, he still uses it and it's still a great performer.
It's still a smart move by MS though. If it gets people locked into their ecosystem, they'll likely buy a new WP handset in a couple of years. It's a gamble though, if WP doesn't live up to their expectations, they were due for a new phone anyway so they can just as easily go back to Android for a newer model.
53. Cyberchum (Posts: 608; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
My SGS2 gave up on me jlate last year but had it not, i would give it up in a heartbeat. It was great in it's time but now? don't think so. Crappy battery life and a Crapxynos processor that will literary fry your thumbs while playing games with jmw-mid graphics. Bought a Gionee Elife E6 and has never missed that fryer a bit.
4. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 1155; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Unrelated, but in my country, both the Lumia 1020 and 1520 are sold at the same price. Seems weird to me
5. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
Someone trade me for my Original Droid ;)
29. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Biggest problem for me would be the requirement for AT&T. This is what happens with carrier exclusives....
46. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Ironic but that's why I don't own an iPhone. I refused to go to AT&T and bought the G1 on T-mobile instead. Been hooked on Android since. Even Apple figured out the carrier exclusives are damaging, you'd think Nokia and MS would come around as well.
8. alterecho (Posts: 1097; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Good thinking by Microsoft. Offer the best of the best hardware so people don't notice the software.
18. SleepingOz (unregistered)
You may have the latest hardware available but if the software sucks, the experience will suck as well.
27. papss (unregistered)
Better software than lagdroid my space dude..
I've recently replaced all lagdroids in my house with something better.
31. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Oh, here's the butthurt delusional MS fanboy.
In your biased opinion..
36. papss (unregistered)
Yes like you aren't? I get sick of your butthurt comments in anything related to windows. Sounds like you need a vacation from this site again. You contribute zero to any windows article but hate
37. SleepingOz (unregistered)
My butthurt comments? LMAO! You're mistaking your own comments with mine, bud.. Why would I even be butthurt? The OS I'm supporting is basically the most advanced and the most popular by far!
Vacation from this site again? When was the first one? Pot calling kettle black, LMAO!
So what? Call the cops! Same as you on android articles.
38. papss (unregistered)
You sound like a commercial. Keep telling yourself that its the best and it might come true.
40. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Well, sorry to break your bubble but it's already the case in the world we're living in. But I guess truth is indeed a bitter pill to swallow for delusional haters.
42. papss (unregistered)
Are you that dense to come into every WP subject spewing you form of reality and complain about others being fanboys. Like an effing kid that needs attention
47. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
We get tired of reading lagdroid as well, mainly because it's not true.
43. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
So you think your opinion about WP is unbiased?
39. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
why do you call Microsoft phones 'lagdroids'? Just asking....
41. SleepingOz (unregistered)
May be because WP is lagging behind Android on almost every front.
34. alterecho (Posts: 1097; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Thats the fact Microsoft is trying to overcome with Nokia's exceedingly amazing hardware.
48. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
History repeats itself. The OG iPhone didn't have a stellar OS either, but it ran smooth and that's all the users harped on. Now it's the WP crowd taking up the "Android lags" argument.
11. mottykels (Posts: 373; Member since: 15 May 2013)
I want to trade my phone to lumia 1520 but my phone is s4 and im from the philippines :(
16. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
microsoft are really desperate with their OS
22. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
So would you say that Apple is also desperate for marketshare in emerging markets since they resumed production of a 4-year old phone?
49. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Yes, but it's probably not going to go that well because the prices are ludicrous.
51. hurrycanger (Posts: 1545; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Why would you want to trade that in for the Lumia 1520? Even if this program were in the Philippines, but would be a big loss on your part. The reason is that you trade in the 4/4s to get a free Lumia ON CONTRACT. That means you get only $$150-$200 back. During that two year contract, you have to pay around $20 toward the phone alone every month.
This "free" thing is very deceiving.
56. mottykels (Posts: 373; Member since: 15 May 2013)
First i really want lumia1520 specs, second i have a 30mos lte contract for my s4 paying 33usd a month . Now i have 24mos left. If my carrier can do this kind of promo. I will grab it.
57. hurrycanger (Posts: 1545; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
thing is that AT&T charges you about $20 per month for the Lumia 1020 or 1520 every month. That means after 2 years, you will have paid $480 toward the phone alone. That does not include the service fee, which is gonna be $40-60 per month. Together it is $60-$80 a month, maybe even more.
It's totally different from how your carrier is doing it over there. During this promotion with AT&T, the phone is not free. It's actually about $480. That will probably be the price you will have to pay if your carrier ever do this same promotion.
A lot of people in the US get fooled by carriers and think they get a free phone. No. "Free with two year contract" is actually $0 down payment and then about $20 per month for two years. Again, that will add up to about $480 just for the phone.
The Lumia 1520 is a cool phone though. However, the promotion is pretty much a lie, so there is nothing to be sad about. If you want the Lumia 1520, you can just sell your S4, then use the money you get from it to buy a Lumia 1520 at regular price. That's much better. :)
13. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
What about countries outside US? No? Damn Microsoft, you racist!
14. sheldon22 (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Feb 2014)
can anyone tell if this deal will reach south africa?
35. williamdroid (Posts: 125; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
I regret getting rid of my S2 now....i would trade it in a heartbeat for that 1520
21. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1870; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
searching craigslist for a used iphone 4s to swap a nokia 1020..
23. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
A great deal for people in the US. Sucks that its not available outside the US.
24. vijaysivakula (Posts: 199; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Too bad this offer is not available in India. I would jump at this.
25. Jehovah (Posts: 69; Member since: 25 Jun 2013)
I have a Lumia 1020 and a GSIII... If only this was a world wide promotion... I would be the proud owner of a 1520. And c'mon this is a fantastic real anyway you look at it.
28. papss (unregistered)
My wifes 4s is about to go away.
33. .KRATOS. (Posts: 242; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Im still using my s2, but wished that Samsung would updated to 4.4 cz really this phone rocks n it sure did put Samsung at the top
44. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
WP is a better looking, more fluid , stable integrated better overall experience than Android, in my experience Android sucks compared to Windows Phone. Look at Android these days they have copied WP flat UI, WP changed design language , if an OS sucks others would not be imitating it. These days Android is focused on less bloat, more integration, a more consistent user experience far as I'm concerned Android and many of its OEM's is mimicking WP experience.
50. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
WP went to Metro, which is becoming the hottest design concept right now. Android is adapting Metro slightly slower, it's not copying WP. Metro was around longer than WP was, you should look into the Metro concept so you can understand what MS is doing with their OS, on computers and phones.
52. indiebandit (Posts: 7; Member since: 28 Dec 2013)
once you go windows phone you want go back! this is the best,smooth,elegant smartphones to get.
54. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Metro did not exist before WP. I know the history.
55. Scorpion (Posts: 103; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
He no GS4, Xperia Z1, LG G2 or HTC One in the deal. Guess Microsoft's faith in WP8 only goes so far... They could go for the Note 1/2 customers with the Lumia 1520.