Microsoft ditches the Metro branding of its new interface concept, effective immediately
"Working on a replacement term", clarifies Microsoft, "and plans to land on that by the end of this week" The employees should now call the Metro UI the "Windows 8 style UI", until marketing comes up with something cooler. What provoked the whole thing we can only speculate, but some wager to guess a trademark infringement threat is always a good candidate these days.
1. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 03 Aug 2012, 03:30 6 1
Uhmmmm.... Why??? Metro sounds cool but style sound cool too!!! I hope Nokia will make windows phone 8 with swipe!!! Hahaha lol
18. jroc74 posted on 03 Aug 2012, 17:51 1 0
Not really a WP fan...but I think they shoulda kept the name. It was stylish and catchy.
Its not like Vista that got a bad rap and they decided to go with the Win 7 name.
I am still running Vista 64bit, with up to date fixes and I had Win 7 since it launched, and have yet to install it. I do have a separate PC with Win 7, but that wasnt by choice, it came with the PC.
19. Contreramanjaro posted on 03 Aug 2012, 18:46 0 0
Windows Vista was a necessary evil. When it launched the support was bad and it was sill very new. It was to Windows XP and Windows 7 what Windows ME and 2000 were to Windows 98 and XP. Kind of like Snow Leopard on Mac. Of course the the transition to a full 64bit OS is going to have some kinks but is better in the long run.
2. bloodline posted on 03 Aug 2012, 04:15 1 5
How about; I wish I was as cool as android UI >?
5. jove39 posted on 03 Aug 2012, 04:30 2 0
Call it Boxy...tiles are rectangular boxes...just a thought.
7. Follower posted on 03 Aug 2012, 05:10 0 0
It was really nice name, hopeful. MS will find cooler name
8. crankyd00d posted on 03 Aug 2012, 06:09 2 0
Perhaps MetroPCS is pulling an Apple and is suing Microsoft? Lol
11. akita256 posted on 03 Aug 2012, 07:11 2 0
My recommendation to Microsoft: drop the use of the tiles (whatever you call them) and start making something people will actually buy.
12. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 03 Aug 2012, 07:17 1 2
So how do you make a grid of tiles not cool? How long will it take before MS realizes the tiles aren't catching on?
15. lubba posted on 03 Aug 2012, 11:10 0 0
What do you expect MS to do, copy Android and iOS? Tiles is the best thing to ever come out that's non of them. You may not like it, somebody else will.
16. JunitoNH posted on 03 Aug 2012, 15:40 0 0
Call it textile UI, have to agree with MS. Personally, never understood the Metro crap. Sounded as we all were going to be part of some rainbow coalition or flag waving group.
17. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 03 Aug 2012, 16:56 0 0
Windows Ease? First thing that popped into my head.
21. Contreramanjaro posted on 03 Aug 2012, 18:49 0 0
Someone said this on Reddit and I agree they should play out the Surface name. Surface UI or however it will work out.
22. 7thspaceman posted on 05 Aug 2012, 05:57 0 0
some body said for Microsoft to drop the tiles . Why would they do that and go back to dumb do nothing small icons on their smart phone screen like everybody else has. The tiles can now be made smaller and lives tiles keep updating their information in real times while dead icons on a smart phone display screen do nothing. I will take the lives tiles any day to looking at dumb do nothing icons on my smart phones screen
23. AeroPrime posted on 07 Aug 2012, 21:40 0 0
Why not called it Matrix UI....sounds cooler LOL