HTC phones monopolize top of U.K. smartphone charts; Apple iPhone 4 drops to number 6
The HTC Desire is at the top of the list, followed by the Desire HD and the Wildfire. The Apple iPhone 4 (16 GB version) ranks sixth. The BlackBerry Curve 8520 is the first non HTC and non-Android phone in the Top Ten, placing at number four.
The Samsung Galaxy S rounds out the top five with the Motorola DEFY coming in seventh. The bottom three handsets in eighth, ninth and tenth place are the Sony Ericsson S500i, the Samsung G800 and the Samsung i600 respectively.
Ernest Doku, the technology expert at uSwitch,com said, "HTC has outsmarted the smartphone market by customising its handsets at a range of price points – as seen by the Wildfire acting as an aspirational Desire. It’s clever marketing. Android phones have well and truly pipped Apple to the post. But, with just a couple of months until Apple is expected to give details of its next offering, it’s almost a dead cert that they will soon lead the way again in the race for smartphone dominance." And perhaps for the first time, fragmentation of the Android OS has become a clever marketing tool instead of a problem that was supposed to doom Google's open source OS.
source: TheNextWeb via AndroidAuthority
1. AndroidTroll (Posts: 359; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
The Brits are so much smarter than the Yanks. I was born in the wrong country :(
10. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
How can you say that when android is an os developed by the US? Speak for yourself please.
13. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
So you know, developed in the US by Russian guy. Sergey from Google was born in Russia.
15. arena (Posts: 18; Member since: 03 Mar 2011)
Russian by descent, but he's an American. Also, HTC is not a British product, but Taiwanese I believe.
20. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
I believe you are right, it is Taiwanese. I think that's exactly where I put it in my comments.
16. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
So are you saying that Android is Russian then, not American?
And isn't android the number os in the US as well? So what do you exactly mean when you said "smarter than the yanks"?
19. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
I see you really are blind, aren't you? Or stupid. Where did I say that? I thought AndroidTroll said that. So, what I'm saying is... well... is beyond your comprehension, I guess...
26. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
Well you obviously agree with him. You two obviously think alike, lol. So don't deny and play innocent :)
22. AndroidTroll (Posts: 359; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
I'm not talking about the corporations. I'm talking about the intelligence of the general public. I applaud the Brits for being resistant to Apple's brainwashing.
25. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Intelligence, or the lack of it, prevents iSheeple from undrerstanding even the simpliest things.
28. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
You mean "hating" makes a dumb person even dumber. And that would be you :)
27. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
Still you do not make sense. Since when did owning HTC devices become the benchmark in measuring the intellegence of nationals of a certain country? I say you're just hating :) Now that's dumb :)
11. Maestro716 (Posts: 10; Member since: 08 Mar 2011)
Hmmm Google is American and HTC is Taiwanese. So where does the UK fall into play?
I swear some poeple shouldnt have access to the internet.
39. jbash (Posts: 339; Member since: 07 Feb 2011)
"I swear some poeple shouldnt have access to the internet."
-Quote of the week
12. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Applefans once again confirm how blind they are. It's very simple, AndroidTroll said brits are smart for choosing HTC and Android over iPhone.
How is it relevant to argue that point by saying Android is American and HTC is Taiwanese?? And that somehow proves AndroidTroll is stupid? T don't think so.
Thumbs up, AndroidTroll!
17. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
Just because a country chose a certain device over another, it already makes them smarter? So what happens to those other countries where Samsung is #1? Or how about those countries where Nokia works better and Nokia is number 1? So what you are saying is, for a country to be smart, they would have to choose HTC devices over anything else? Wow, you're very smart, lol.
18. Owlet (Posts: 446; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
No, stupid, I'm saying that AndroidTroll thinks brits are smarter than americans for choosing HTC and Android vs iPhone. And I'm saying that to point out that HTC and Android are not british is irrelevant. Can I explain myself any clearer?
23. AndroidTroll (Posts: 359; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
You explained everything very clearly Owlet. That is just the point I was making. Thanks for trying...sorry to see that it was such a difficult concept for the yanks to understand. This proves my point about the intelligence of the general public in the states. This is why I like the brits lol...
30. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
He explained it clearly as mud. You like the Brits because HTc is their number one phone? Wow, very smart. So what do you think about the Brits buying more ipad than the xoom?
29. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
You are wrong stupid hater. A country having more HTC users does not make them smarter than another country with a different number device. And I never said that HTC or android are British, so no need for you to point that out to me dumbass. What you need to explain is why are you bringing up the iphone as the phone of choice of Americans when it is not the number one smartphine in the US. Android phones and RIM phones still have the larger market value in the US?
31. protozeloz (Posts: 5369; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
* cough* * cough*
Ill leave this here
33. AndroidTroll (Posts: 359; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
Actually you are wrong. True, Android is now the OS of choice. But the PHONE of choice is iphone, not any htc phone. Duh WINNING!!
Protozeloz, I like your link :) Especially the part about me WINNING by default.
34. protozeloz (Posts: 5369; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
LOL its on the "rules of the internet..." Google them they are worth a good laugh
40. jbash (Posts: 339; Member since: 07 Feb 2011)
He was clearly making reference to Android vs. iOS. And you continue to look like a jackass by ranting and raving. We understand you disagree, move on.
35. luis_lopez_351 (Posts: 951; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
All Nationalities and cultures suck if they say their better than others only a true awesome* citizen would be smart enough to keep there thoughts in their head where they belong :)
2. snowgator (Posts: 3187; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I am not an iPhone user/owner, but if a near year old device is still selling at a clip that gets them to 6th place in current purchases, that ain't shabby. I am a fan of HTC though. The Sense is an enjoyable compliment to the Android. The mid-range HTC phones are smoother and more responsive then a lot of companies high end offerings. (I am looking at you, Samsung.)
3. Rich (unregistered)
i love HTC. got my first last year, hadnt heard about it before i bought mine... now, i dont think ill get anything else.
4. fanboy (Posts: 38; Member since: 07 Mar 2011)
i want a good cheap android phone any help ppl??????
5. protozeloz (Posts: 5369; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I wont recommend those.... personally :/ but what you looking for?
you may want to try the defy... its hard to crack up and has a nice cam
6. protozeloz (Posts: 5369; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
14. luis_lopez_351 (Posts: 951; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
dang!! HTC! wow they must have no electricity in UK since HTC phones are probably connected to a charging port 24/7.
24. luis_lopez_351 (Posts: 951; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
who? i like HTC its just that i do not love it like some emotional living thing ;)
32. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Next HTC NEED TO TAKE OUT the IPHONE 4 IN THE U.S. MARKET.
36. dr.dante (Posts: 11; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
37. myclevername (Posts: 93; Member since: 07 Jun 2010)
Apple only has one phone and still has all that market share? Wow.
38. protozeloz (Posts: 5369; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
its the only reason for a big market share on a phone from a company that has one phone... but being outsold by a new company must be kind of hard... the older companies are falling asleep and HTC is gonna make a name