Google Voice Search hits iOS, tackles Siri on her own turf
One thing you won’t get is Siri’s personality, as Google seems committed to the idea of a less personal and more “to the point” voice search. Still, the responses are quite clear and pleasant sounding, and we’ve seen before on the Android version of Voice Search that the results are generally as good as or better than those provided by Apple’s personal assistant. If you want to give it a try hit up the app store link below. To all of you iOS users out there, will this make you consider ditching Siri?
Source: Google via Daring Fireball
App Store link.
1. zheking (Posts: 28; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Hell no I love Siri because I rarely use it and it gives the feel of talking to someone but google voice search u get the exact same thing if u typed
10. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5224; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Agreed. I can just use google search. Works just the same.
16. ahomad (Posts: 166; Member since: 15 May 2012)
so you use siri when you need some one to talk to?
20. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1115; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
oh man you must be really alone..! Talking to siri!
and the iOS users always complain Apple cut Google Maps off because Google was holding back not giving them goodies! Well now you got an awesome voice enabled search assistant thats twice as fast as siri and twice as intelligent in sorting relevant information!
22. nyuvo (Posts: 72; Member since: 10 May 2012)
I'm not sure that it was google who was holding back from giving a better quality maps and youtube app. That was apples call if I can remember correctly from an interview i saw earlier this year.
Google want their products to have a good impression to iOS users (Hence the excellent search app) and this in turn will give them a good impression of the quality of product google offers (For free).
Please correct me if im wrong about the whole apple holding back the youtube/maps i dont have time to look for a source atm
49. speed4evr (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I haven't seen that interview yet. But what Ive gathered from this situation with native Youtube & Maps app(Maps being more complex) being removed from iOS, is that its easier for Google to update the apps instead of waiting for Apple to do an iOS update, which makes for a better experience.
26. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3071; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Aren't you the one in the paper a few days ago
with the headline reading,
"Man refuses to let go of his iPhone. Kept
talking with, and smooching the phone in public." :P
2. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
What Apple would do without Google. :)
6. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
iOS won't reach Android's level but don't be so sad Android will integrate into iOS.
You know if the mountain does not go to Mohammed, Mohammed will go to the mountain. LOL! :D
11. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
why bring religion into all this, haven't u guys learnt from what happened in USA ??? making FUN of PROPHET (P.B.U.H).... and yah as Google will go down too, u will see that in some months from now.
12. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
lets lets not bring in religion, too many over the top reactions and unfair results.........stick to tech
13. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
That's what I want, plz guys I am Muslim , don't bring religion here... that's all ...
14. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
doesnt matter what you are or what religion, anywhere religion is brought up crap happens and gets out of hand
anyways leave it there, if we keep talking about it some muppet will say something to get a reaction
19. sithvenger (banned) (Posts: 371; Member since: 25 Aug 2012)
I am Muslim too. And his comment was not necessary
28. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
ta daa see unnecessary comment, its not offensive so move on and stop the over reaction
36. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Sorry, people I didn't want to offend someone, I used this phrase just because it is very famous phrase. :)
37. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
you didnt offend anyone, just some want to over react to a common phrase
45. someones4 (Posts: 622; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
It's a proverb. It means that if something doesn't come to you you have to go get it.
Why they put an Islam name i don't know.. You can change it to Simon or Jack or John or an asian namelike wong or whatever...
46. mobilefuture (Posts: 206; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
You sir are an ignorant racist sonofabitch
48. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
nope thats you, your the one trying to find racism in the comment when there isnt any.
3. Dr.Phil (Posts: 954; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I wish they had this working for those of us stuck on Android 4.0...
17. Lboogey6 (Posts: 269; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
Yea how is it that they get both and we have neither its obviously easy to create the app
33. someones4 (Posts: 622; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Google seem to favour Apple over its own fanbase. Traitors.
Why isn't google releasing all these as apps? They keep arming the iPhone with all these features while android users have to resort to rooting or getting a nexus device.
4. amjohnson2005 (Posts: 8; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Sweet! Now if Google maps were 'fixed', then someone :) would not have lost/given up his job! Bad Apple...
5. maestro1 (Posts: 9; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Since Siri is integrated throughout the whole iOS, Google Voice Search can only be complementary to Siri, so you cannot really ditch it if you use it to schedule events, make calls, send SMS, etc.
7. Andman314 (Posts: 61; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
Google why would you help out apple more like android!? Android is better!!!
8. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 425; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
Google virus has taken invaded apple lol
9. andro. (Posts: 1977; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Sounds like someone really likes Yarmouth!
Seeing as Apple desperately made an iphone 4 app called siri seem like a ground breaking exclusive feature in order to try flog the phone again but called the 4$ its funny to see Google offering a free and often better alternative to ifans.
15. gallitoking (Posts: 4693; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I will complement Google voice but in no shape or form ditching Siri
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9483; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Google Search is better than Siri. You know it's true, you just don't want to admit it.
23. droiddomination (Posts: 203; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
i just used chrapple maps to get to this page. can someone please tell me were i am at? thing keeps getting me lost. maybe i can ask google what innovation means and it will help get me out of this situation. :)
24. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3071; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Aren't you the one in the paper a few days ago with the headline reading,
"Man refuses to let go of his iPhone. Kept talking and smooching the phone." :P
25. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Am i the only one who thinks talking to a phone is weird??
27. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
that's because WP doesn't have a good enough one yet, as soon as they get one, you'll be barking about how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Google Now is even better than Siri, and I can't think of anything equivalent or better for any other OS available.
29. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
tbf he has a point its weird talking to a phone....why does it have to turn into a argument about who has what on there os's
31. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
because he usually trolls Android and iOS, thought I'd troll him back.
I use it when I can't be bothered to write down stuff, and then use the offline voice typing feature in JellyBean in class to write down notes in evernote and sync it to my computer.
Plus, Now is soooooo much more than a voice assistant. Try it, you'd be surprised.
35. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
i will have to try it, although i cant get passed that initial weirdness of talking to a phone.
trolls are everywhere, guess thats one way to deal with them
38. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
trust me, you get so used to have everything being delivered to you before you even ask, that it seems revolutionary, magical even
43. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
bring it on, I have a paper napkin from 1996 where i wrote it down... I can use that as evidence right?
40. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Dude, wp does have some speach recognition (not as good as android and ios ill admit) and i dont even use that. i do own a android tablet you know and i even never talk to it either. you can troll all you want but walking around and talking to your phone just isnt natural...
oh and all these wr software is usually english only, and its high time google, apple and msoft found out that most of the world doesnt use it as a mother tongue....
42. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
I speak English so I'm not sure of the problem with other languages, sorry, but Google's service is the one that understands my accent the best (scottish), so that's what I use.
30. jeans94621 (Posts: 4; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
I downloaded the app this morning and really like working with it with my ipad 1 which does not have Siri. But as far as my iphone 4s I would not trade it for anything because the app can't schedule my appointments and reminders and write out sms or just write out this comment and it would be nice if you could bookmark in the google app.
32. rcrider4 (Posts: 118; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
Well, I just tested it, and compared to Siri, it is definitely faster, but due to its lack of integration (both the fact that you can only run it in the app, and that it cannot do things like set a reminder or send a text), I won't be using it. It basically returns the exact same information as if you just googled it. I do like that it sometimes (and I stress the sometimes) reads you back the result of a search.
34. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
first of all, why would they ditch siri? i mean its apple, and they buy iDevice coz its apple! not android!
44. bonsly16 (Posts: 58; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Noooo...I wanted the functionality and capabilities of Google Voice Search to be exclusive only to Android! Come oooooon Google!