Following the global release of Moto G, Motorola prepares something new for Europe this month
Now, as exciting as the possibility of seeing a brand new Moto handset sounds, we are more inclined to believe that there won’t be such a thing in the near future. Instead, perhaps Motorola is finally bringing its Moto X to Europe (as you may already know, at the moment the Moto X is an America-only smartphone). This, of course, is just speculation, but it’s clear from the invitation that Motorola really has something new to show - albeit it might be new only to Europe.
January 14 is next Tuesday, so we have exactly one week before we find out what the upcoming event is all about. Meanwhile, we must also report that Moto G users in the UK are officially receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat as of today (not too long after customers in the US got the update).
sources: Eurodroid, Motorola UK
1. boosook (Posts: 905; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Great... just as soon as I had decided to go for the Z1 Compact... :(
3. ihavenoname (Posts: 1260; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Remember, Compact has best specs they could put to that sized device, Moto G has best specs they could have with that cheap price.
6. boosook (Posts: 905; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
We're talking about the Moto X, here, not the Moto G (which is already available in Europe).
2. ihavenoname (Posts: 1260; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
This can really strike 520 sales in Europe, but Motorola is not very popular/known brand for many, so we'll see. Intresting phone, I hope that I can try one at some point.
5. boosook (Posts: 905; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
I think the Moto X has a different target... I don't think it'll be cheap in Europe, my guess is 499 euros. The competitor of the 520 is the Moto G, which is already available here.
15. ihavenoname (Posts: 1260; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Ah yes, didn't read it properly. At least G is not in Finland. Sorry, my bad.
7. UltimateReviews (Posts: 7; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Are these events open for Tech YouTuber's? Because i own a YouTube channel and would like to attend this event
8. Augustine (Posts: 614; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Correction: the Moto X is available all over the Americas, not just the one America.
19. a_merryman (Posts: 605; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Yeah, I think I read somewhere they even produce some of them in Brazil (Not the ones sold in the U.S., those are assembled here.) I think the customization part is only in the US though currently, right?
9. techguyone (Posts: 93; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Nothing showing on moto UK site yet (not even a 'something new is coming)
11. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Have had a go on a moto X (outside of the US) and wasnt all that impressed with it. So glad i went for the Nexus 5 rather chossing to wait for the motoX to come to europe
12. StreetNerd (Posts: 700; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Who the f*cks buys Motorola?! only Americans. Motorala brand is dead in Europe....
14. boosook (Posts: 905; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
As fas as I know, the Moto G is selling quite well in Europe. And the Motorola brand is not dead at all. It may be unknown or unappealing to very young people, but for many Motorola is still a renowned brand, and with Google behind the scenes a comeback is possible.
16. StreetNerd (Posts: 700; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
the last Motorola i saw in real life was the moto razr, like 1000 years ago... they dont even care bout EU (moto milestone anyone? or should i say zero smartphones in EU last 4 years) moto G is only selling tru grey market here...and a high end/pricetag moto wont survive here for sure
17. Augustine (Posts: 614; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Perhaps only Hello Kitty fans care about brands and such foremost. Normal people care about good products and value foremost.
13. Cyberchum (Posts: 248; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Global you said? This phone is yet to touch down on the biggest market in Africa - Nigeria and you said global. Bring it here with that attractive price tag and it'll take market shares off these Chinese OEMs.
18. techguyone (Posts: 93; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Interestingly on the moto site they have a vacancy for a Program Manager for MotoMaker UK
Put in country 'UK' and it shows up.
That adds a fair bit of weight to the phone being the X coming to the EU (or at least the UK)