First images of the Galaxy Gear show off Samsung's "unique" design sense
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
03 Dec 2013, 05:54
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
PhoneArena Awards 2013: Best cameraphones
03 Dec 2013, 11:01
2. Ninetysix (Posts: 928; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Well the iWatch is not out yet so they don't have anything to copy. Wait till Apple releases their version and watch Samsung improve theirs. Gotta wait for Apple to force the other companies to step up their game.
5. Tsoliades (Posts: 161; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
Agreed. Everything Apple designs is gorgeous.
6. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 470; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Apple iProducts always becomes the model. See how other sites show devices always compared to iProducts..
106. CellularNinja (Posts: 259; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
Say what you will about Apple, and I certainly am not fond of them, but they would never even have a prototype that looked like that.
21. SonyPS4 (Posts: 154; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Apple will copy Sony then Samsung will follow just like their smartphone
43. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2439; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
By improve you mean copy right? No one cared about smartwatches until Apple announced one and now everyone is bandwagoning off their announcement.
46. emadshiny (Posts: 757; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Oh, please go home!
Apple itself is a follower.
47. HASHTAG (Posts: 384; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
I don't ever recall Apple ever officially announcing the smartwatch. And what gives you the idea that Apple was the first?
50. willard12 (Posts: 375; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Apple announced a smartwatch? When? I guess no one cared other than the LG watches, Sony watches, and the dozens of other watches. Apple and phonearena didn't care until Tim Cook was told to make another product. So, the great artist he is, decided not to hesitate to take the ideas of others.
54. tedkord (Posts: 3409; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Again, Apple has copied the idea the smartwatch. Moto applied for its patent a year and a half ago, before the rumors of an Apple watch. Apple is doing what they always do - stealing an idea, and relying on the faithful (like you) to revise history to say they invented the idea.
100. a_merryman (Posts: 362; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
To be fair, the idea for a smartwatch has been around for a long time. Microsoft even had a go at the smartwatch category a few years ago.
78. rusticguy (Posts: 2699; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
No the right word for Apple is STEAL :)
91. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 4721; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
When did Apple announce a smartwatch? Link?
3. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 470; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
ohh man.. please sony teach them a lesson about design.. sheeesh
22. tusshharish (Posts: 317; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
things that samsung should learn..........for all devices
from sony/nokia/htc - design
from nokia - quality, camera and strongness
from nexus devices - price
from motorola maxx - battery...............
may be u can add many....
42. emadshiny (Posts: 757; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I think their camera and battery is good enough but their design is too ugly. they definitely need some new designers.
48. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 470; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
So what does Samsung have? all those things you said they don't have.
77. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 438; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Nokia for design? Every Lumia is a derivative of the N9, which is a derivative of the iPod Nano.
7. Feanor (Posts: 184; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Hahaha, I just finished my comment on the lack of originality of Samsung design and how they jump on the Sony design train now, and now this!!!
Apparently the Sony Smartwatch 2 is too new and they didn't manage to copy it properly :-))
When will this company ever learn to design? Why don't they just give a tiny part of their massive cash reserves to an external design studio for some decent ideas?
8. pokedude750 (Posts: 24; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Is their any evidence THIS is the device.
PhoneArena you REALLY need to get rid of Micheal, He is a biased reviewer, Always post's smack against brands he does not like on an impulse AND to seal the deal he never allow's any of us to voice our opinions and pretty much tell's the userbase of this website to go F*** themselves.
15. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2573; Member since: 26 May 2011)
As stated in the article, the images come from a promo video for the device, so it seems pretty real.
Also, opinionated is not biased. And, engaging you in conversation doesn't stop you from voicing your opinion, it just requires that you defend your position.
35. Feanor (Posts: 184; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Guys, I don't know if Michael is biased or not, but this is definitely not the article to find out. This smartwatch IS REALLY PIG UGLY... The only way for him to have been biased or mistaken is if this junk is not the actual product... we'll see.
49. HASHTAG (Posts: 384; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Pokedude750, are you mad because Michael saying the truth about the Samsung Galaxy Gear? The design is awful. I have nothing against Samsung, but their design of the Gear is not that amusing. I had interest in the Gear until I saw this. It really seems like this site would be better if we got rid of commenters like you.
52. jdoee100 (Posts: 260; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
"..'That better be a prototype.' But, it looks to be real..." Michael H. has no proof this picture to be real. His reference (VentureBeat) saw a prototype and promotional marketing video from NOT Samsung but some outside agency. Far as I can tell, Michael's conclusion is based on rumor not truth.
81. pokedude750 (Posts: 24; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
I admit the alleged device is ugly. I just do not believe Michael should keep creating articles praising or hating on products. (Especially ones that don't even have confirmed pics and or specs)
82. HASHTAG (Posts: 384; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Well considering that we're just days away until we see possibly see the official unveiling of the Gear, what we see on the article could actually be the real deal. And if so, well I won't be throwing any money at that thing. But whatever your deal is with Michael, he is free to post his opinions just as you are free to do so as well. You're not being forced to read his articles.
83. jdoee100 (Posts: 260; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
These articles are supposed to be news, not his opinions. I don't mind inserting some opinions in some these articles, but I think he goes too far.
87. HASHTAG (Posts: 384; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Okay. Where do you get the everything this site posts has to be news? There are a bunch of other sites that have both news and editorials. I don't get how he went to far on this one. Was just saying the truth. You should might as well jump on these other commenters because most of them seem to have to same opinions.
9. clevername (Posts: 1378; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
This is horrid.
on a side note, how accurate can their PQRST wave be strapped to the wrist? Is call it a pulse monitor, not a heart monitor.
11. ArtSim98 (Posts: 403; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Samsung, could you sometimes do it right please?
14. ThinkDifferent (Posts: 6; Member since: 31 May 2013)
OMG! Samsung re-inventin The Watch:))
16. Myrith (Posts: 53; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
How do you know it's real? What if the marketing group was just doing a test run to get some ideas down?
I seriously doubt any modern mobile device company would put screws on the front. My bet's on prototype.
17. lyndon420 (Posts: 1359; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Battery life with moderate use has to be a lot better than that. When they start lasting a few days on a charge sales will improve IMO.
20. AsisHaas (Posts: 40; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
23. ThinkDifferent (Posts: 6; Member since: 31 May 2013)
samsung galexy gear propaganda:
The ugliest Watch in all over the worlds. Can Other companies
Make the watch uglier than galexy gear?
25. SonyPS4 (Posts: 154; Member since: 21 May 2013)
I know design is not the most important thing but this one is too ugly especailly for something you wear on your wrist.
26. power_x (Posts: 99; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Agree , something that you are wearing on your wrist will reflect your personality
33. willard12 (Posts: 375; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Looks/design is always a matter of OPINION. Articles about design and the subsequent comments are completely useless. Refer to the articles and comments about how "ugly" the galaxy S3 and S4 are. Then, look at the sales and shipments of the devices. The market will determine if something is "pretty", not Michael H.
36. stemider (Posts: 12; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
OMG! The only one question is: WHY Sammy, WHY!
First - you've made this Galaxy S4 (aka S3 "plus") with sh1tty materials and design.. and when everybody expects that you're finally hired a quality designers.. this "thing" come out. Please Samsung - please kidnap Jonathan Ive.
55. tedkord (Posts: 3409; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Or just kidnap the guys from Sony or LG that he keeps getting his "inspiration" from.
61. stemider (Posts: 12; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
After so many years I don't see any device that can compete with iphone design and quality. Same in computer industry - after so many years Macbooks and Mac's didn't have any competition in build quality and design.. And I'm not an Apple user. Ok, Sony has its design language, and maybe LG too (same HTC) , but I'm sure that Johny don't give a Sh1T about it. Best wishes.
79. tedkord (Posts: 3409; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
And yet he got images of Sony designs for the iPhone, and the iPhone looks almost identical to the original Prada, which won design awards the year before the iPhone was released.
If you're worried about looks, they're subjective. I think Apple does make nice looking equipment. However, when it comes to function and power, Apple hasn't been competitive since about 2010.
103. stemider (Posts: 12; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
I'm not a fanboy, and I don't have any device with apple logo - maybe because their prices are ridiculous - if you especially collate it with other companies. But.. why LG doesn't bring some amazing design with their new LG G2 - it's just acceptable, nothing that can match Iphone design - the only company that tried to do it, is HTC with it's One - but sadly there are some serious relations about quality of it's plastic parts. In terms of "numbers" - Sammy start to think only about numbers that didn't really mean stability and no-lag UI - while Apple seems to do so amazing job here - same with Laptops - New Macbook Air works for 12 hours on battery (where's the competition?).
60. flynfree (Posts: 363; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
Kidnap J.Ive is making your next Samsung phone with brick black bezel.
86. joey_sfb (Posts: 1477; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
And J.Ive will then tell us who to kidnap next. LOL!!
Apple fans watch too many of his Ad video including myself so i also used to think he is a design guru, a God in a super white and clean background preaching to his flock about how creative he is.
37. ajoshi06 (Posts: 20; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
At this point, i dont care about features or looks but there better be something done about battery life....
56. Feanor (Posts: 184; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
You don't care about looks on a watch??? A smartphone can be hidden inside the pocket, are you sure you wouldn't mind to be seen with THIS on your wrist? How will you explain it to people? "It looks gross, but it has good battery life" (which reportedly it doesn't)?
108. ajoshi06 (Posts: 20; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
yes I will not mind to be seen with this on my wrist. As long as it has good uses, i dont care that others think of it. I am louis Vuitton and poodle dressed in pink person. If samsung upgrades battery, and if not for crazy 300$, i would buy it.
89. Blazers (Posts: 117; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
No you're absolutely right. This watch will look great with a pocket protector and scotched tape Clark Kent glasses. And you can then shout with glee that it also gets 10 hrs of battery to whoever asks.
41. roscuthiii (Posts: 1602; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
In the first little image I thought to myself, "Well... it's not THAT bad."
But then in the latter images I just have agree that it's really not that good either. Design comes in two phases, Form and Function. Form, although subjective, already seems to be kind of a miss here. Hopefully Function (which oft times determines Form) will be stellar enough to make up some lost ground.